Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2021, 08:01 PM   #61
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Gotta say that's pretty disappointing. Suggs seemed like a pretty awesome opportunity.
same...

as Fleury posted though, Suggs didn't have a great workout, so that might have raised flags (or provided justification) for those who were favoring Barnes...

Rolling the dice on potential, but at #4 OA that's quite a risk...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:13 PM   #62
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

If that's the reason, I guess, but generally you probably want to assess the entire body of work. Everyone has bad days. Anyways, they do know a lot more than me, so there is obviously a process they followed where they arrived at Scottie Barnes, but it's very hard to not be disappointed.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:25 PM   #63
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah... I'm still in the disappointed phase...

will be interesting to hear the Raptors PC on it and what they saw in Barnes that made him the choice over Suggs...
Old 07-29-2021, 08:33 PM   #64
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Suggs is a high floor, low ceiling guy and filled a potential hole with Lowry leaving...

not sure what Barnes does? Switchable on D? Not sure if he's as good a passer as people say he is... Not a shooter, that's for sure.

could be worse like Oklahoma fans though... Giddy? Guy can pass but also not a very good shooter
I watched a lot of him back when we were slotted 7th, and really loved him for the Raptors at 7. His passing is excellent, but not in a flashy way. He makes really smart, quick choices.

I think his best role in the league offensively early-on is as a roller in the pick-and-roll, where he can set a screen roll to the basket, and then if he receives the pass, either finish himself or immediately find the extra pass. If we do keep Siakam, I think those two could be an absolute terror playing off of each other if you surround them with shooters.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:40 PM   #65
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Josh Primo goes to San Antonio at #12 OA!

Canadian BBall is doing really well!
That's really impressive. I don't think I saw any mocks with him higher than about 22, so it's gotta be the biggest riser of the night. And he's going to a great developmental system. Hopefully Lawson gets drafted too.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:41 PM   #66
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's easy to be disappointed considering the hype on the "big 4". I take solace in a few things:
1) Raptors' management track record
2) Barnes was the general consensus #5, so it wasn't a complete reach
3) This was an odd season so extensive scouting by publications can be spotty
4) NBA general rankings can be hit or miss year after year - look at past years drafts and see who the can't miss guys were, and where they are a year later. As much as the top 3 or so tend to be hits, many guys are misses. If they found some competitive fire in their guy, I know they did their homework. Just think Davion Mitchell who was once considered the #1, dropped to #9 in one year. This stuff is fluid and can change with a few good games under someone's belt.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 08:45 PM   #67
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

100%. All great points. I definitely bought into the Suggs hype as well. All the pre draft write ups got me really pumped. Time to buy into the Barnes pick though. The Raptors have earned the right to make off the board picks.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 09:19 PM   #68
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to harp on this too much, but interesting watching the announcement of the draft pick again, and noticed a few things:
1) Suggs seemed genuinely happy not to get picked, or was happy at Barnes. Could be an indicator he preferred going to Orlando.
2) Big baby talking about Siakam on his way out because "we all know he doesn't get along with Nick Nurse". Kinda interesting.

A few minutes ago I got a Score alert saying Raptors were interested in Lonzo Ball. Not sure how I feel about it. Also, I have no clue what the lineup is going to look like now. OG and Barnes could be heading up an all defence front court. Somebody has to score though. Perhaps there will be a completely new team identity come November.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:39 PM   #69
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Not to harp on this too much, but interesting watching the announcement of the draft pick again, and noticed a few things:
1) Suggs seemed genuinely happy not to get picked, or was happy at Barnes. Could be an indicator he preferred going to Orlando.
2) Big baby talking about Siakam on his way out because "we all know he doesn't get along with Nick Nurse". Kinda interesting.

A few minutes ago I got a Score alert saying Raptors were interested in Lonzo Ball. Not sure how I feel about it. Also, I have no clue what the lineup is going to look like now. OG and Barnes could be heading up an all defence front court. Somebody has to score though. Perhaps there will be a completely new team identity come November.
well, there has been some Siakam chatter...but I thought that would have happened during the draft... but if they moved him, maybe Barnes makes a bit more sense? I don't seem him as a 2, not in the NBA at least...

Suggs just made more sense to me if they were moving on from Lowry...now if they kept Lowry? That changes the calculus a little

I can't speak about Suggs and whether he liked TO or not, but kid is from Minnesota and eschewed the bright lights for Gonzaga (pacific NW)...

it will be interesting to track Suggs and Barnes though... Much like watching Coronato and Lucius...
Old 07-29-2021, 10:13 PM   #70
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, last thought of the night, and at risk of formulating a thought around something that's already happened, here was a video posted of Chad Ford / David Thorpe talking extensively about Barnes. I'll leave it for others to hear, but this is really interesting (and was posted prior to the draft). Skip to 22 minutes in.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 10:13 PM   #71
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nick Nurse on Barnes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlXJ...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-29-2021, 11:08 PM   #72
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto's other picks:

46. Toronto Raptors Dalanao Banton Nebraska
47. Toronto Raptors David Johnson Louisville

Banton is another Canadian, actually a Torontonian, so that is really cool for him and his Family... hopefully he makes the main squad, but developing with the 905 isn't a bad thing for a kid from TO
Old 07-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #73
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I’m excited about Barnes. Whether you agree with the pick or not it’s hard not to be excited about his potential. Lineups with Siakam, OG, and Barnes will have some incredible length, athleticism, and skill.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 05:10 PM   #74
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I never really thought to check CP for basketball, this is dope!

Disappointed at first like many about not drafting Suggs, but the ceiling for Barnes is insane.

I trust in Masai/Bobby and believe in our dev system, Barnes will be a beast.

For next year, if we can pick up Jarrett Allen, I'll be a happy man. I like the positionlessness of Barnes, and Flynn looked great in his mins last year.

Biggest hole I see is at 5. I love Bouch but like him more as a 4, and Birch is great but I see him being bench mob.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:32 PM   #75
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love this pick.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #76
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
I never really thought to check CP for basketball, this is dope!

Disappointed at first like many about not drafting Suggs, but the ceiling for Barnes is insane.

I trust in Masai/Bobby and believe in our dev system, Barnes will be a beast.

For next year, if we can pick up Jarrett Allen, I'll be a happy man. I like the positionlessness of Barnes, and Flynn looked great in his mins last year.

Biggest hole I see is at 5. I love Bouch but like him more as a 4, and Birch is great but I see him being bench mob.
The lineup is very experimental. It’ll be defence first which will be different. But they won’t be pylons but rather very mobile defence first as a unit so it should be a really interesting experiment to see how it works. The beauty of offence first is it’s easier and less taxing. Defence night in and out isn’t really seen. I imagine there will need to be a push back to a deeper bench to prevent injuries. Lots for management to do between now and the season start.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 10:27 AM   #77
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit late to the party, but yeah initially pretty disappointed they didn't go with Suggs as he seemed a natural fit for the post-Lowry Raptors. But going back to something I mentioned earlier, everyone seems to recognize the Raptors as being an elite team for player development, so if ever there was a great landing spot for a guy with great potential, but needing some work to get there, it would be here. Not that I should compare Barnes with Kawhi, but in Kawhi's draft he was viewed as one of the worst shooters in the draft. Then the Spurs put in the work to fix his shot, and the rest is history. Good news is Raps got enough depth to not have to rush Barnes into anything. Hopefully they can get those mechanics right.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:29 AM   #78
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

This podcast with raptors reporter Will Lou and analyst/trainer David Thorpe is really great. Thorpe's son played on the Florida State team with Barnes, so he's got some interesting insights on personality that I haven't heard elsewhere, as well as some thoughts on developing Barnes.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #79
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to be a lot of smoke with Lowry and Miami right now. Miami picking up the player option on Dragic (and letting Igoudala go) suggests that they aren't trying to max cap space but instead keeping matching salary for a S&T.

Could be something like Dragic+Precious+Okpala for Lowry. If so, the Raptors could try and flip Dragic to a third team... Knicks or Mavs are the two that kinda make sense. Mavs because they need a PG and have that Slovenia connection, and Knicks because they may be trying to keep cap space for next summer so a Dragic on a one-year makes sense for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #80
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't mind some pieces from Miami.
Unfortunately I think it'll be less than that. Precious + Dragic + first? Maybe Herro instead of Precious?
Absolutely correct about a third team, I hope they can swing it!