Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #21
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

So those that are so vehemently opposed to players going to the games.....do you feel the same way about Bobsledders and figure skaters?

Should their governing bodies also prevent them participating?

If so, what do you expect the effect to be on China?

Does it help any of the political prisoners from any country they are illegally holding?

What if it only aggravates the Chinese further and they hit Canada with even more debilitating sanctions?

Or is this more about YOU will feel better at the expense of the athletes in question? (which is perfectly fine as well)

For me....boycotting the Olympics doesnt make a lick of real world difference though admittedly, it would feel good to be on the right side of this.

There are many athletes/coaches/etc that would be devastated too and if its all for not, then why bother screwing them over too?

So if it makes no difference to China, and Canada are sending a team anyhow, it may as well be our best.....in each and every discipline and sport. No?

I don't know. To me it is far more complicated to answer than many seem to think.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #22
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

To transplant99, I think all athletes should go.
But the NHL could also make a stand and not send their players. They were willing to not send them in 2018 to purely economic reasons. It just shows their greed. Do Koreans not matter but Chinese do? Imagine if a sport sent it's best to a US Olympics but not a Canada Olympics.

If they had gone in 2018, I'd argue that they should continue to go. But if you were able to stop going in 2018, you're able to not go again.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #23
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
To transplant99, I think all athletes should go.
But the NHL could also make a stand and not send their players. They were willing to not send them in 2018 to purely economic reasons. It just shows their greed. Do Koreans not matter but Chinese do? Imagine if a sport sent it's best to a US Olympics but not a Canada Olympics.

If they had gone in 2018, I'd argue that they should continue to go. But if you were able to stop going in 2018, you're able to not go again.
In 2018 the NHL/IIHF didn't have an agreement in place as it appears they will this time. I dont blame them for not going last time in that they had insurance issues, they still didnt have rights to hilites etc of their own players and on and on.

Is this about money? Of course it is....the entire Olympics is about money. Not to mention this was a huge carrot in CBA negotiations.

Why are owners more "greedy" because they want protection and a piece of the pie?
Old 05-26-2021, 03:56 PM   #24
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
In 2018 the NHL/IIHF didn't have an agreement in place as it appears they will this time. I dont blame them for not going last time in that they had insurance issues, they still didnt have rights to hilites etc of their own players and on and on.

Is this about money? Of course it is....the entire Olympics is about money. Not to mention this was a huge carrot in CBA negotiations.

Why are owners more "greedy" because they want protection and a piece of the pie?
Again, they're never had any of these ever. The NHL has been breaking their back going to the Olympics. It's not like the IOC took insurance and highlights away in 2018. But 2018 was the one, not Sochi, not Torino. 2018! We've had enough, we're not going. But yeah 2022! We're still not getting highlights but we're going!

Old 05-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #25
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Again, they're never had any of these ever. The NHL has been breaking their back going to the Olympics. It's not like the IOC took insurance and highlights away in 2018. But 2018 was the one, not Sochi, not Torino. 2018! We've had enough, we're not going. But yeah 2022! We're still not getting highlights but we're going!
Thats what they are working on right now...hence the reason for this thread.

So people are now saying screw the IOC.....when the league did exactly that last Olympics, they were throttled by hockey fans.

Now, they want to go back with concessions for some monetary protection from the IOC but shouldnt go because........they are greedy and didn't go to Seoul??

OK.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:07 PM   #26
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Thats what they are working on right now...hence the reason for this thread.

So people are now saying screw the IOC.....when the league did exactly that last Olympics, they were throttled by hockey fans.

Now, they want to go back with concessions for some monetary protection from the IOC but shouldnt go because........they are greedy and didn't go to Seoul??

OK.
You're right here. I want to see if they don't get the concessions they want, whether they'll still go. Stayed tuned. You and I will have this discussion again and you can call me out on it

Old 08-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #27
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

ESPN reporting that the NHL has failed to secure expanded media rights, but still intends to send players

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...cs-sources-say

Quote:
The NHL and the International Olympic Committee were unable to secure an expanded media rights deal for the 2022 Winter Olympics, but the league still intends to send its players to Beijing, sources told ESPN.

In its new collective bargaining agreement, the NHL agreed to let players participate in the 2022 Beijing Games and 2026 Milan Games contingent on securing agreements with the IOC and IIHF. The 2021-22 regular-season schedule was released with an Olympic break from Feb. 7-22. Talks remain ongoing between the NHL, NHLPA, IIHF and IOC. While no final agreement is imminent, there has been positive momentum toward a resolution for several weeks.

If and when that final deal is announced, it will not include expanded media and marketing rights for the NHL, which had been a goal for the past decade. The NHL was denied "Top Sponsor Status" for the 2018 Pyeongchang Games, which would have allowed its website and NHL Network to have content from the Games. It was one of the stated reasons why the league opted not to send its players to those Winter Olympics, among other financial considerations.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #28
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Man, I hate the IOC.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #29
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The fact the NHL cant use highlights containing their own employees has always been asinine and should never be allowed again moving forward.
YT finally met someone bigger than them: the IOC.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #30
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Soviets were atrocious in 1972 (long before and long after).

Should we have not played them?

Or was it more important that we play them and beat them?

I lean toward the latter.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #31
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The Soviets were atrocious in 1972 (long before and long after).

Should we have not played them?

Or was it more important that we play them and beat them?

I lean toward the latter.
I’m not sure it’s the same. China isn’t a threat in hockey at all.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #32
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

why any Canadian would wanna travel to China right now is beyond me. At this very moment, there are two Canadians sitting in a jail cell with the lights on 24/7 for no reason other than the fact that they are Canadians.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #33
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

China and Italy. Enjoy getting up at 2 AM to watch games.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #34
Passe La Puck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You can bet your ass if it was two Americans being jailed for nothing Bettman wouldn't even think about it, then again it wouldn't be two Americans because China wouldn't dare.

#weaktrudeau
The difference is one nation is the largest military machine ever seen on earth and is larger than the rest of the worlds armies combined. The other has less fire power than many police forces.

What exactly would you expect from a "strong" Trudeau?
Passe La Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Passe La Puck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #35
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I’m not sure it’s the same. China isn’t a threat in hockey at all.
It's a little bit different, but the hockey tournament is the marquis event of the Winter Olympics.

If we (the NHL/west) don't go, Russia wins. Which isn't any better, morally or geopolitically.

Our way produces the best players of the best sport in the world. Theirs doesn't.

That's a message worth sending.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:02 PM   #36
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do people actually think that the Olympic hockey teams have any political might anywhere? China doesn't care if Canada or Switzerland win a medal, IT IS JUST A HOCKEY GAME!
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 01:04 PM   #37
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passe La Puck View Post
The difference is one nation is the largest military machine ever seen on earth and is larger than the rest of the worlds armies combined. The other has less fire power than many police forces.

What exactly would you expect from a "strong" Trudeau?
Duh, invade China and make it a colony of Canada.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 01:10 PM   #38
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
It's a little bit different, but the hockey tournament is the marquis event of the Winter Olympics.

If we (the NHL/west) don't go, Russia wins. Which isn't any better, morally or geopolitically.

Our way produces the best players of the best sport in the world. Theirs doesn't.

That's a message worth sending.
I get the moral argument, but I am not convinced that Olympic hockey has any geopolitical relevance at all.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #39
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Do people actually think that the Olympic hockey teams have any political might anywhere? China doesn't care if Canada or Switzerland win a medal, IT IS JUST A HOCKEY GAME!
Russia cares.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you had a legitimate world championship of hockey, I’d say screw the Olympics. But I do think it’s good for the game to have a true best on best tournament.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: