Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-30-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 4 bedroom townhouses in Calgary

With having a third kid last year, we’re going to struggle get by as our boys get bigger in our three bedroom place. But we also don’t have a huge budget to work with, and most 4 bedroom places are in a whole other price level.

I found this build in Redstone that’s a 4 bedroom townhouse at a reasonable price. Only thing is, we aren’t super in love with Redstone, and I haven’t had much success googling for something similar in other neighborhoods. Anyone know of any other types of builds like this in Calgary?

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=GQStc7nELkC
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not buy a house with a small yard?
Old 05-30-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not sell the kid?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There are lots of 3 bedroom town-homes with basements.

Semi-Detached is another option. A lot 3 bed up 1 bed down or 2 and 2.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Semi-Detached you won't have condo fees so can maybe up your budget a bit as well.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:39 AM   #6
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Why not buy a house with a small yard?
Newsflash...not everyone can just buy a house, and if you look at the market the last thing I would do is buy a house right now, I would sell mine for 95% of it's "apparent" worth and laugh all the way to the bank.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you specifically looking for a new build? As posted above, three bedroom townhomes are not unusual, so it’s just a matter of finding one with a finished basement to add a fourth bedroom (ie a 3+1, like the example you posted).

EDIT: I stand corrected on townhomes with four bedrooms up. Never encountered that option when we were looking many years ago. Obviously way more limited though.

Last edited by tvp2003; 05-31-2020 at 12:15 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:59 AM   #8
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

-What area are you in now? What kind of areas do you like?
-Are you only considering building? This can be a stressful process if you haven't before
-Are you looking at older homes at all?
-What makes you attached to the townhouse kind of living? The $200/month you pay in strata fees could go to $50k of value on a mortgage. I guess this is also restricted by what kind of down payment you have now
-Have you heard the horror stories of new build condos/townhomes being poorly managed by the strata? The fees can double or more in the first few years which could blow your regular budgeting out of the water. Similarly pre-existing ones could also slam you with special assessments so make sure you do your research.
-What kind of place do you live in now? Is there a way you could develop / partial develop the basement with a bedroom?
-Consider putting the older kids in a bunk bed for a few years while this covid stuff settles out on real estate values?

Realtor.ca has filters for you to find 4+ bedrooms and I assume your budget is around $300k based on Jayman's Redstone Townhouse pricing.
https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel...0&Currency=CAD

If you are considering used homes, definitely find a realtor you trust and vibes with you. I've made two purchases with realtors and I don't think I would go back to either of them. No offense that they are unprofessional or anything, just their way of making a sale does not align with my personal values.

Last edited by jwslam; 05-31-2020 at 10:05 AM.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too bad you didn't ask about this a couple weeks ago. For a few weeks Facebook was targetting me with ads for some new row homes which had 3 and 4 bedroom options. They actually looked pretty nice. It was over on West end of the city somewhere. Unfortunately those ads don't show up for me anymore.

Edit: looks like it might have been Trinity Hills. They show some of the townhomes with a three bedroom upstairs options with the ability for a 4th bedroom/flex room on the main floor.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 05-31-2020 at 10:20 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Are you specifically looking for a new build? As posted above, three bedroom townhomes are not unusual, so it’s just a matter of finding one with a finished basement to add a fourth bedroom (ie a 3+1). The example you posted is a 3+1; I don’t think you’ll find a townhouse with four bedrooms up.
Was going to say this - there are lots of 3 bedroom houses that are reasonably priced and you could put a bedroom in the basement.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:13 PM   #11
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Newsflash...not everyone can just buy a house, and if you look at the market the last thing I would do is buy a house right now, I would sell mine for 95% of it's "apparent" worth and laugh all the way to the bank.
Newsflash. Most 4 bedroom townhouses are more expensive than houses. and they have condo fees.

And what is the difference between buying a house and townhouse in this makret?