Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2020, 09:40 PM   #101
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
then presumably they should give a 2 minute for icing as well, its no different
If they want to increase scoring, sure. I'd be OK with that.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:16 PM   #102
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I do think icing is different, I mean are you going to start penalizing players who are trying to make an outlet pass or a pass period on choppy ice late in a period?
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 06:03 AM   #103
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
This should negate any over-the-glass debate.

Discuss.
Also, endless overtime.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:46 AM   #104
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I had this thought yesterday during the 5OT game, I wouldn't be opposed to:
-1OT 5vs5
-2OT 4vs4
-3OT 3vs3
And keep it at 3vs3 for subsequent overtimes (highly doubtful it gets further than 3OT with this format).
Uh no. The 3 on 3 is to gimmicky. If a compromise is necessary, then 5 on 5 for the 1st, 2nd, and maybe the 3rd OT and then 4 on 4 until a goal has been scored.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #105
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I do think icing is different, I mean are you going to start penalizing players who are trying to make an outlet pass or a pass period on choppy ice late in a period?
Well, you're penalizing players for bad ice or the puck being on edge (almost no one shoots the puck over the glass on purpose)

They both result in a stoppage, and icings are intentional more often than the over-the-glass is. That is why I think it's ridiculous that the latter is a penalty and the former isn't.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #106
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No.... don't touch overtime in the playoffs.... it is one of the things that make the NHL playoffs epic and memorable.

About the over the glass penalty... I'm presuming you're asking this question because of the 5OT game between Tampa and Columbus, where a penalty was called on Kukan and one missed (opinion) on the SH breakaway shortly thereafter for “mugging”. This is my problem with the game… and I know the referees are human and maybe it’s hard to call a game the same way all the time… but… if it’s a penalty in the first game of the season, it’s a penalty in every game of the season, and every game of the playoffs, and in every period no matter what the situation is. All this nonsense about “ putting the whistles away” as to not affect the game is doing just that, affecting the game… because rules aren’t being consistently enforced. If a team is built on speed and finesse, and they win throughout the regular season because of their skill and speed, and then in the playoffs, you “put your whistles away” and a bubble team that was tough and dirty goes up against them in the playoffs – now they just changed the game and the regular season and the “rules” don’t apply the same way. Why did we lose last year in the playoffs, why did we need Milan Lucic this year? Because the rules change in playoffs and those changes are not subjective and enforcement is arbitrary at best.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #107
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
then presumably they should give a 2 minute for icing as well, its no different
I would be more responsive to a penalty for dog ####ing on the way back to the dot. It seems like every crucial icing is followed by a 2 minute equipment check.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #108
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I would be more responsive to a penalty for dog ####ing on the way back to the dot. It seems like every crucial icing is followed by a 2 minute equipment check.
League could enforce the hurry up faceoffs a little more. Teams have figured out how to game the icing rule.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:40 AM   #109
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

First offence treat it like icing.

Second offence 2 minute penalty.

Third offence you have to take on the Neal contract, or if it’s the Oilers, Lucic’s contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #110
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
League could enforce the hurry up faceoffs a little more. Teams have figured out how to game the icing rule.
Yep, if they want to piss around then you can give them a delay of game penalty. Or you just drop the puck and if they aren't set then that's their problem.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:58 AM   #111
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't overthink things. The 2 things are fine the way it is.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #112
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Well, you're penalizing players for bad ice or the puck being on edge (almost no one shoots the puck over the glass on purpose)

They both result in a stoppage, and icings are intentional more often than the over-the-glass is. That is why I think it's ridiculous that the latter is a penalty and the former isn't.
That becomes a discretionary call by the officials. The league eliminated that with the puck over the glass rule which is much more black and white.

However icing is much different as they already have a challenging time ruling whether the puck was playable by a defender, was it an attempted pass, did the offensive player tip the puck. You may get players who are trying to ice it but are firing it in the vicinity of a teammate. That would open up a huge can of worms if you ask me and probably would become a nightmare. The linesman would have way to much power. Keep it as is and don't let the opponent change.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #113
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Uh no. The 3 on 3 is to gimmicky. If a compromise is necessary, then 5 on 5 for the 1st, 2nd, and maybe the 3rd OT and then 4 on 4 until a goal has been scored.
Yeah, upon further thought, no change is needed. The long OTs of the playoffs are some of the most intense, and engaging hockey that you can watch. It should absolutely not be changed.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #114
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Could you imagine all the missed passes and icing once it got down to 3-on-3 and players were exhausted?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #115
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
That becomes a discretionary call by the officials. The league eliminated that with the puck over the glass rule which is much more black and white.

However icing is much different as they already have a challenging time ruling whether the puck was playable by a defender, was it an attempted pass, did the offensive player tip the puck. You may get players who are trying to ice it but are firing it in the vicinity of a teammate. That would open up a huge can of worms if you ask me and probably would become a nightmare. The linesman would have way to much power. Keep it as is and don't let the opponent change.
It's not too different from the fairly rare intentional offsides (which doesn't always seem to be 'intentional').

I'd be fine with keeping puck over the glass as it is if we could add 'intentional icing' as a penalty...it's essentially intentional grounding in football if there is no 'pass receiver' in the vicinity.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #116
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I said earlier, I'd add goalies freezing the puck well out of their crease to this discussion, too. I'd favour an accumulation system, but I'd also consider making it a penalty for the goalie to freeze the puck if no part of his body is in contact with the crease. It's just not a 'hockey play'.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delay of game , marathons , overtime , penalty , playoff