Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #41
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
not many amenities within a close walking distance such as a major grocery store, etc is the biggest negative.
Bridgeland Market works if you're rich.

Otherwise you CLEARLY have never been in the basement of Luke's Drugmart

It's surprisingly decent down there. Grab your sausage at Rocky's, then purchase some meat from him, then across the street to Luke's and you can make do.

Definitely not as spoiled as those who can walk to something like CO-OP Midtown Market however. I get grocery store envy. The closest Safeway and CO-OP to Bridgeland are both pretty craptacular.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #42
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Ill see if I can find the article but I believe a large grocery store is very close to being in Bridgeland.
In terms of NE addresses - Bridgeland and Renfrew are more NW communities than they are NE due to being west of Deerfoot. I think you would be hard pressed to find anywhere else in the city where you can go from million dollar homes to 350,000 homes so quickly by simply driving over a bridge.
Where would a major grocery store go? I know there is supposed to be something in the McPherson block, but I think that's like a Sunterra, which I don't really consider a grocery store. Aside from that I would guess a new development? Not sure that the old Jacques furniture is large enough, but that's about the only other possibility I think?

Two things to Bill Bumface: a) love the new name and avi and (b) Lukes is pretty sweet. Almost like a flea market in there! Today there was a guy with a serious stack of vinyl and as a guess I would say $600-750 in value. Apparently he does that every now and again. I don't think I have ever seen anyone actually buy records there, but evidently its big business at least sometimes.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #43
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Where would a major grocery store go? I know there is supposed to be something in the McPherson block, but I think that's like a Sunterra, which I don't really consider a grocery store. Aside from that I would guess a new development? Not sure that the old Jacques furniture is large enough, but that's about the only other possibility I think?
It would be smart to put in a grocery store on the vacant lot at 9th street and center ave. I believe it is planned to be another residential block but a grocery store would probably serve the community better. With the new bridge over the Bow the store could attract folks from the East Village.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #44
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ you mean where Kbro linen was? I think that's where you mean. I could see that making sense. I was just trying to think of a location that would be on the main drag and also fit an existing building. I think they could've redone the city bakery building instead of that useless Molson tasting building or whatever that is.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #45
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bridgeland really only needs 2 more things:

- A good pub [Check]
- A decent grocery store

Blue Star is opening a pub next to their diner and it looks quite nice from what I've seen so far. They've built a patio and that should definitely attract more people to 1st Ave in the evenings.

As for a grocery store, I love the guys at Bridgeland Market, but I can't justify going there and buying more than 2 or 3 items. It's way too overpriced compared to a grocery store. There was talk of there being a grocery store on Meredith Block, but I think that's been cancelled.

On some other Bridgeland-related items, the St Patricks bridge is such a wonderful addition to the area. Makes walking into downtown exceptionally easy. I ditched my transit pass altogether and just walk to work now. I also walk by the St. Patrick's island development on a daily basis and it is going to be an even better version of Princes Island. Beaches, toboggan hills, and lots more. Very excited for this summer.

Last edited by Tyler; 02-27-2015 at 12:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #46
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Finally - I've always said Bridgeland was missing a good pub.

What the heck is that Molson Coors building anyways? I thought that might turn into some sort of pub....would certainly have a nice rooftop patio...