Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
robocop
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default best rates for internet?

Seeing as this is a calgary forum I thought I'd ask what's the best internet provider for rates/performance. I was with shaw but after getting ripped off for a few months I figured I'd change to something new. I play online with my ps3 so I need a decent monthly ul/dl and a decent bandwidth. Any advice would be great, thanks. (anything over $40/month all in is too much)
robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Negotiate negotiate negotiate. I got my TELUS bill down to thirty a month for home phone, basic cable, high speed, pvr, and no contract.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi
Here's a link from a different thread showing Calgary's 19 ISPs. Someone in the other thread mentioned they are with TekSavvy, who offers 200GB for the same price ($31.95) as my crummy Telus HighSpeedEXTREME!!!!1! which is blowing goats lately.

If you find a new provider, let us know. I'm ready to switch, even if the new provider uses someone else's infrastructure to get it to me.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What Blankall said.

I was paying $150 for all three services and one phone call changed it to $40 a month for a year.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
robocop
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
What Blankall said.

I was paying $150 for all three services and one phone call changed it to $40 a month for a year.
what did you say? I had shaw cable and internet but they were charging me out the ass for it. I still have the box and could reactivate it today if I could get my monthly down a lot.
robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
what did you say? I had shaw cable and internet but they were charging me out the ass for it. I still have the box and could reactivate it today if I could get my monthly down a lot.
I'd like to know this too... Cable/internet/HDtv cost me wack loads a month from shaw. I managed to complain about telus being cheaper and they offered me a bit of a discount, but they said they aren't going to do anything against telus anymore.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I'd like to know this too... Cable/internet/HDtv cost me wack loads a month from shaw. I managed to complain about telus being cheaper and they offered me a bit of a discount, but they said they aren't going to do anything against telus anymore.
Ask to speak with a manager haha. Call up telus and tell them you're looking to switch from shaw. Get actual quotes from them. Call shaw back up and let them know what's on the table. Call telus back and tell them what shaw is offering. Call shaw back..
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Ask to speak with a manager haha. Call up telus and tell them you're looking to switch from shaw. Get actual quotes from them. Call shaw back up and let them know what's on the table. Call telus back and tell them what shaw is offering. Call shaw back..
I did exactly that and I got a CSR that told me that they are no longer authorized to give any discounts because of Telus from an executive level decision? And that her manager would tell me the same thing WTF?

I did complain and managed get better services for six months at a slightly lower cost in the end, but nothing like some of the other people are getting
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernon View Post
my crummy Telus HighSpeedEXTREME!!!!1! which is blowing goats lately.

If you find a new provider, let us know. I'm ready to switch, even if the new provider uses someone else's infrastructure to get it to me.
Correction time:

As much as dislike Telus for the adverts, bandwidth caps, etc, I feel I must say it wasn't their service dragging me down. It was likely a combination of needing a new wireless router, and a PRAM rest of my Mac that was needed. Apparently, sometimes Macs don't "just work", and updates can mess up connectivity.

That said, if a new ISP comes around offering cheaper service, I'll strongly consider it. Oh, on a side note, the MemExpress Jockey told me that people on Telus have their own dedicated pipe, whereas Shaw customers could be theoretically slowed down by a torrent-happy neighbour.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote