Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames Monahan or Lindholm? Inside the Flames' deliberations prior to the 2013 NHL Draft

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...2013-nhl-draft

Quote:
“We were sitting there knowing we were going to get a good frickin’ player at No. 6,” recalled Tod Button, the longtime director of amateur scouting on the southern side of the NHL’s Battle of Alberta.

“This may sound a little bit petty, but I was happy that Carolina took Lindholm at No. 5 because then I knew that Edmonton wasn’t going to get him. They got (Darnell) Nurse, and he’s a good player, but I was hoping Carolina took Monahan or Lindholm, because I did not want Edmonton to get them, either one.

“That was just a small part of my thinking.”

Now, the Flames have both of them.

Quote:
“We had MacKinnon solid at No. 1. We didn’t think anyone was going to replace him, unless maybe (Seth) Jones if a team really wanted a defenceman,” Button said, recalling their prep work for the 2013 NHL Draft. “And then (Aleksander) Barkov, (Jonathan) Drouin and Jones, we figured had to be three of the next four or five picks. So for us, it was going to come down to Lindholm and Monahan at No. 6. And it wasn’t even our choice, right? Somebody else was going to make the pick, and whoever is left, that’s who we’re going to get.

“We did have Monny ahead of Elias, but it was a hard-fought, well-thought-out discussion … I can remember sitting in the boardroom and John Weisbrod really making sure that we were on top of things, that we knew what we were doing. He went through it in minute detail, all parts of the game — faceoffs, right shot vs. left shot, performance over the years … all sorts of things.”
Also in the article a good story about Monahan's last impression left on Button before the draft
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was team Monahan because his shot looked so simple and effective (man I remember watching a lot of YouTube of these two). Glad we got him, but glad to have both now!!
Old 10-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I was team Monahan because his shot looked so simple and effective (man I remember watching a lot of YouTube of these two). Glad we got him, but glad to have both now!!
I was like Button. I didn’t have a strong preference either way, but I really wanted both to be gone before edmonton picked.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Same ... didn't care.

And was happy to have the other team make the call and take the 2nd guy.

Kind of like Draisaitl/Bennett, it wouldn't be a scouting mistake because it was an obvious choice.

Will agree with Button though, glad Edmonton didn't get either guy.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
“We had MacKinnon solid at No. 1. We didn’t think anyone was going to replace him, unless maybe (Seth) Jones if a team really wanted a defenceman,” Button said, recalling their prep work for the 2013 NHL Draft. “And then (Aleksander) Barkov, (Jonathan) Drouin and Jones, we figured had to be three of the next four or five picks. So for us, it was going to come down to Lindholm and Monahan at No. 6. And it wasn’t even our choice, right? Somebody else was going to make the pick, and whoever is left, that’s who we’re going to get.

“We did have Monny ahead of Elias, but it was a hard-fought, well-thought-out discussion … I can remember sitting in the boardroom and John Weisbrod really making sure that we were on top of things, that we knew what we were doing. He went through it in minute detail, all parts of the game — faceoffs, right shot vs. left shot, performance over the years … all sorts of things.”
Compare this to when you see behind the scenes footage of draft picking and trades and you just hear a bunch of rambling by some GM about cliché, generalities on each player, then they make a decision.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #7
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad it worked out the way it did because Monahan was better earlier and now Lindholm in a small sample size seems just as good as Monahan. O_O

But there's no way Carolina would have given up Monahan...
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #8
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted Monahan by a wide margin. The team was finally moving on from the Iggy and Kipper era and I wanted a Canadian to build around. I watched interviews and highlights of both leading up to the draft and was sold on Monahan. He sounded very mature and seemed like he was a prime candidate to make the league immediately which I also wanted.

Obviously through the first 5 years of their careers Monahan has been the better player but I do think Lindholm is a player on the verge of a breakout. I am estatic that Treliving was able to pull off the blockbuster trade that brought Lindholm to the Flames and I am optimistic that his contract will be considered one of the biggest steals in the league.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #9
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neat blurb there about the scouting staff thinking Monahan was better at passing than shooting.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #10
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I really wanted Monahan over Lindholm because of absolutely nothing. Was really happy to feel vindicated with the pick.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #11
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quite happy to have both players now.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #12
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it really interesting that he spoke now about it pretty bluntly, though the draft was fairly recent. I remember wanting Lindholm simply from a skill and finesse perspective. Subtle dig at Edmonton's choice, but at the time the consensus was Nurse was a stud. Always interesting to hear teams' reasoning why they didn't go with the consensus.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #13
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted Nichushkin over both. I'm man enough to admit that.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #14
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Whynotboth.jpeg
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #15
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I wanted Nichushkin over both. I'm man enough to admit that.
Me too. Unfortunate for him that injuries have basically destroyed his career.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #16
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, I wanted Nichushkin too. I wonder how he's doing in Dallas?

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #17
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was leaning towards Lindholm leading up to the draft because he looked like the better skater. As we got closer I preferred Monahan mostly because he was a Canadian and he that goal scorers shot and I felt like we would need that with Iggys departure
Old 10-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #18
Gallick
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

As soon as I heard someone compare Monahan to Toews, I was sold on him, but would have been very happy with Lindholm. What a thrill to have them on the same team and the same line only five years later.
Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #19
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Will agree with Button though, glad Edmonton didn't get either guy.
Had Lindholm fell to Edmonton it's possible the solar system wouldn't have aligned for them to get McDavid.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #20
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Had Lindholm fell to Edmonton it's possible the solar system wouldn't have aligned for them to get McDavid.
I don't think the Oilers were an Elias Lindholm away from not being ass in McDavid's draft year. The fish rots from the head.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 10-15-2018 at 12:06 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote