Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #21
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Single stage" electric here (cordless), similar to what Ducay posted. Worked well last year with the big dumps of snow we kept getting; however, it struggled yesterday with the wet, heavy snow that came down.

Happy with our purchase (got it at an end of season sale a few years back); helps with doing the neighbor's sidewalks as well...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #22
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear using a non-stick spray in the auger and chute can help. I haven't had the need to do it myself though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #23
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a four-year-old blower that’s been sitting with gas for two years. It won’t start, likely due to fuel gumming up the inside. How do I get it going?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #24
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
My first time using it yesterday and I felt it was a similar amount of time but actually enjoyable & easy.

This morning I did my own place as well as 3 neighbors walkways which hadn't been touched as they are elderly and it took about the same time as it took me yesterday to just do my place so I do think it is quicker with snow you need to lift as shoveling and most likely a bit longer for an inch of snow which you can just push.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
"Single stage" electric here (cordless), similar to what Ducay posted. Worked well last year with the big dumps of snow we kept getting; however, it struggled yesterday with the wet, heavy snow that came down.

Happy with our purchase (got it at an end of season sale a few years back); helps with doing the neighbor's sidewalks as well...
Its funny you both mention doing your neighbors' walks. Right now myself and neighbors on both side all take care of each others' walks depending on who is out first. Would love to go beyond just the one house on either side, so gas is definitely attractive in this regard.

Do appreciate all the info that a gas single stage will be sufficient for Calgary. The added bonus of being small is certainly attractive for sure.

Honda has a promo on the 720C (HS720) for $799; which I'm debating against the much cheaper Toro 518 ZR @$498 (but all manual chute adjustments, and likely less reliable as being Chinese engine)

There is also a Husqvarna from Canadian Tire (aka Dollar Store depot), @ $799 regular price, that is single stage, has a good adjustment handle AND electric start. But coming from Crappy Tire, I become instantly dubious.

Last edited by Ducay; 10-03-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #25
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I have a four-year-old blower that’s been sitting with gas for two years. It won’t start, likely due to fuel gumming up the inside. How do I get it going?
Bring it to me. I fix this stuff.

Little far though. I could walk you through it though.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 05:04 PM   #26
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Drain the gas and refill with fresh. Might take a bunch of pulls but it should go. If not change/clean the sparkplug. Unlikely the carb is damaged.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #27
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What's the consensus on blowers of the actual blowing variety?

I see snow removal companies use them almost exclusively - surely they would know the best and most efficient tool for the job...

Anything to specifically look for? Draw backs? It strikes me as a much quicker and more satisfying (read: fun!) way to clear the driveway than either an ol' shovel or push blower...

FWIW, we live at the end of a large close and very rarely have any foot traffic on the sidewalk, so compacted snow isn't a concern (though maybe that makes the blower more effective?).
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #28
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
I just scrapped the 1972 Ariens I picked up on the side of the road about 15 years ago and put $100 into - not before the 8 horse Tecumseh got put on my log splitter though. I think I have the only log splitter with a 110v electric start.
Pics or it didn't happen...
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #29
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
What's the consensus on blowers of the actual blowing variety?

I see snow removal companies use them almost exclusively - surely they would know the best and most efficient tool for the job...

Anything to specifically look for? Draw backs? It strikes me as a much quicker and more satisfying (read: fun!) way to clear the driveway than either an ol' shovel or push blower...

FWIW, we live at the end of a large close and very rarely have any foot traffic on the sidewalk, so compacted snow isn't a concern (though maybe that makes the blower more effective?).
Assuming you're talking about gas blowers - They're really only effective on light snow, and up to a certain depth. I have a neighbour who uses his on basically 80% of snowfalls in the year. Aside from the light dusting/skiffs (where it is amazing), it has got to be the slowest and most painful way of clearing your driveway. Takes him forever, and its loud as hell.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #30
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

I have a wee little John Deere (TRS22) and love it...shovelling our driveway by hand is a huge pain in the ass as its about 30m long.

However, the shear pins have, well, sheared and I can't seem to find replacements...any good parts stores CP braintrust?

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #31
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I research and get quotes, the more I become confused.

I've basically lined it up to 3 single stage options.

1. Toro 518 - $500 - cheap, small (like my electric), loud, least powerful, awkward to change the chute direction/angle.
2. Honda HS720 C - $950 - Quality product, larger, decent chute controls, but not that much bigger path versus the 518.
3. Toro 724 QZE - $1000 - basically like a baby 2 stage. Self propelled, more powerful, higher capacity, fantastic chute control via a joystick.

Leaning towards the Toro 24" 724, although for the amount of times it would get used in Calgary, feel like it is between that and the 518.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:46 AM   #32
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Pics or it didn't happen...
Spoiler!

Spoiler!
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #33
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grabbed one of these on sale:
https://www.rona.ca/en/electric-snow...-a-21-14585008

I know electric aren't as good as gas, but I just didn't want to deal with the size, weight, and gas. This one is light enough my wife can use it if I am away. I watched a few videos, and it looks to do a decent job. If not, I'm sure I can sell it. Plus the price is right. I looked at the battery ones but they cost more and look to not work as well.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #34
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Grabbed one of these on sale:

I know electric aren't as good as gas, but I just didn't want to deal with the size, weight, and gas. This one is light enough my wife can use it if I am away. I watched a few videos, and it looks to do a decent job. If not, I'm sure I can sell it. Plus the price is right. I looked at the battery ones but they cost more and look to not work as well.

That actually looks pretty awesome. I am interested in how that works for you. Maybe do some test runs around your neighbours that haven't shovelled.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #35
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only have a 15ft cord that works with it right now, so I didn't get very far! I pushed it into the snowbank I had made though and it had no problem chewing it up and tossing it out, which actually impressed me, considering how heavy and compacted it was. I ordered a 50 ft cord off Amazon that should be here tomorrow so I can test it better. And the snow on Monday will be a proper test. So far so good though. I like how light it is, and easy to turn on/off.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #36
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

is it pretty maneuverable?
Old 10-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #37
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally. It only weighs 35 lbs, so if you get in a corner or something you can lift and turn it. I'm not sure the wheels will hold up, but you could easily pop better ones on if they break.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

FYI it's even cheaper now! $174. It's a no brainier at that price...

They have a whole bunch on sale right now if you want a gaser.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #39
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
FYI it's even cheaper now! $174. It's a no brainier at that price...

They have a whole bunch on sale right now if you want a gaser.

When it gets that cheap, I have to wonder a bit. Is there anything about it that is really bad?
Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The chute clogged a couple times on me, but I think it was because I ended up going over some piles of leaves, since it is still fall, not winter! The only bad thing I can think of is the cord, but I think that can be managed. If you read reviews online, most are very good for this unit. There are some videos as well if you want to see how it does. It's got loads of power.