Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2018, 12:11 AM   #61
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I’d rather have Bennett than either of those guys. Some will probably flame me for that but I think his upside is highest of the three.
I agree with you, and I’m very open to trading Bennett.

This move is odd from the Habs perspective. I feel like the Coyotes stole this one.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #62
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine it will be weird for Tie Domi to wear a Habs jersey now.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 01:00 AM   #63
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
At this point I'll be ecstatic if Bennet ever puts up the point total Galchenyuk just put up last year.
Fans in Philadelphia were saying similar things about Sean Couturier for his first 6 seasons, bang! now he's un-touchable at 25 years old.

Again, Bennett isn't even 22 yet
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:34 AM   #64
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think this is a pretty even trade for both teams.

Galchenyuk is a UFA in two years and doubtful to re-sign in Montreal, whether its Bergervin not like him or vice versa.

And he's 4.9M against the cap. It gives Montreal some cap relief to go after ROR or Tavares like some of you mentioned.

Galchenyuk is probably the better player today but Domi still has quite a bit of room to grow.

As an aside, honestly I would be pretty happy if Bennett produced at the same level as Domi. No I definitely don't think Bennett's better than Domi today, or has more potential. They also both play with a bit of a nasty edge so I wouldn't even give Bennett the upper hand there either.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:42 AM   #65
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I doubt that Tavares would have a lot of interest in going to that team, they're a train wreck. They'll probably target ROR but they don't have a lot of assets to go after him.

This is a trade that I'm going to file between "I don't get it", and Montreal is making a "assumption that they can get someone that they're not going to get"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:42 AM   #66
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1007862130664706048
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:30 AM   #67
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Fans in Philadelphia were saying similar things about Sean Couturier for his first 6 seasons, bang! now he's un-touchable at 25 years old.

Couturier was an excellent defensive centre before he blossomed offensively, shutting down Malkin in a playoff series as a rookie.

But okay, teams should wait until players are 25 before judging them. I guess Oilers fans are completely justified in believing Ryan Strome will break out as a first-line 70 pt forward and demonstrate the potential that had him drafted #5 overall. And Zemgus Girgensons has only averaged 20 points a season, but at 24 it's too soon to dismiss notions that he's ready to blossom into a 60 pt number two centre.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #68
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bah.... I was hoping the flames were able to pry galchenyuk out of mtl.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:57 AM   #69
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

step 1: have the third-worst offense in the league
step 2: trade one of your best offensive forwards for a 9 goal winger (with 4 EN)
step 3: ???
step 4: profit

great plan, Montreal ... great plan.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #70
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:

But when you look at scouting and projection its all about who will be the best NHLer at their peak. I still think Bennett has the potential to be a better player than Galchenyuk. I wouldn't want to give up on that potential. Obviously from the Bennett thread many fans on here are very ready to give up on his potential even though he's only just about to turn 22 which is very, very young in NHL terms.
Well go find me a top 5 draft pick who did not put up at least 40 points in one of his first 3 full season's who eventually became a consistent 60 point producer. There are some from the 90''s. .. but that's a different era. Sure Bennett is young, but forwards who go that high in the draft are taken because that "potential" you love to trumpet projects to translate to the NHL within a couple of seasons, and certainly should show by a players draft plus 4 season even if the player was injured. I would argue that Bennetts draft position works against him now.

Guys like Getzlaf or Schiefele were not top 4 picks because in their draft years they still had holes in their games and scouts had questions about them being able to correct those to play at the NHL level. Eventually they did and now look like the top 2-3 players from their respective drafts. But even those guys largely addressed this by their draft plus 4 season.

Both Domi and Galchenyuk put up 50 plus points in one of their first three seasons.

Bennett will not be a bust because he should stick around the league to play at least 800 games or more. But at this point a Daymond Langkow type offensive game would really spring the Flames forward.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 06-16-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #71
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I woulda traded benny for galchenyuk. Oh well I guess. I think this was a win for the coyotes.
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #72
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bergevin, what in the actual ever loving crap?

Can we take advantage of this mad man, too?
Old 06-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #73
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

LeBrun said Bergevin will be looking for a LHD.

If Brodie is on the move, and Bergevin is nuts, maybe Gallagher isn't as far fetched as we think.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #74
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
LeBrun said Bergevin will be looking for a LHD.

If Brodie is on the move, and Bergevin is nuts, maybe Gallagher isn't as far fetched as we think.
I suggested Brodie for Galchenyuk as the reasonable acquisition the Flame's could make. Think that would have been a better deal for MTL and a good deal for the Flames.

Instead MTL is still looking for a LH D. I can only assume either the Flames don't like Galchenyuk or MTL doesn't like Brodie.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #75
calgarybean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think the 3rd overall pick for Brodie drops this weekend.

Hey they did Galchenyuk for Domi straight up, is it really that crazy?

Yes, yes it still is.
calgarybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #76
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well Domi couldn't hit double digit goals either of the last two seasons. If he was our prospect many would be proclaiming him a bust much like they've done with Bennett. Actually Domi and Bennett have a lot of similarities in their NHL career so far. Both had their best season as a rookie and took steps back since then.

Bleak though? Where's the patience people? In the grand scheme of things Bennett has barely started his NHL career. And he missed almost an entire season due to shoulder surgery post-draft. How quickly people forget his 18 goal rookie year and the potential he showed then. It didn't evaporate. Yes, he's struggled but GG didn't necessarily put him in the greatest positions to achieve offensive success and confidence. And when young offensive players lose confidence their whole game can go to crap. Let's see Bennett under Peters before we write him off.

Things aren't looking bleak yet for Bennett. That's putting too much stock into his recent play and not enough of a view of his entire career. It isn't always just about trends and the last season or two. Bennett was one of the most skilled players in the world at his age in his draft year. At age 19 he scored almost 20 goals as a rookie. Don't let his struggles the last couple years erase your memory of that. Plenty of time for him to regain his offensive confidence and find his NHL groove.

Bennett is 21 guys, about to turn 22. Many players don't even make the NHL before that age. To think he doesn't have room for massive improvement still would be crazy. He's basically still at the dawn of his NHL career. As is Domi. Both players will still probably turn out just fine. I'm not just a Flames homer in this arena, I think its dangerous to write off super skilled young players like Bennett, Domi or even Puljujarvi up north.

Things aren't bleak for Bennett. I know everyone wanted instant success but it doesn't always work out that way for every player. Some players struggle early for various reasons but it doesn't mean their upside and potential has evaporated or disappeared.
What would you have to see (or not see) from Bennett this year that would make you think twice about his potential? What are your expectations for him in his 5th season?
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #77
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

So you don't think Flyers fans are ecstatic over his breakout season?

If Bennett's draft +2, 3, 4 years been what Couturier's were there would be far less Sam Bennett trade talk.

I also don't think the Flames are looking to deal Bennett either. They are more likely trying to see what they can do to help him out. If this next year goes like the past two than they might start to think about it.

Even in this deal these are guys who had 5-6 years with the organization before a move was made.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 06-16-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #78
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see this trade as totally one-sided but I don't see how it makes the Habs better. It's like Bergevin is simply throwing darts against the board with his trades the last two seasons. At least the Coyotes can give Galchenyuk more ice time he probably deserved and get more upside out of him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #79
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Montreal just signed Domi 2x3.15 mil. Didn't know he needed that contract.

Last edited by Moneyhands23; 06-16-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #80
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

3.15 per season?

Rfa and 9 goals? Wtf is going on.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote