Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #41
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
I made this Canoe over the course of 18 months. It weighs 34 pounds.

After that I started making Kids. They are far more beautiful than this boat.

Some prime examples of excellent woodworking skills in both cases, I would say.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #42
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
we also built most of the stuff in my games room - pool table, the little bar, the corner unit where the tv/fireplace is, all the picture frames and jersey frames.
When you say that you built the pool table was that an entire custom build? I've been contemplating doing a custom pool table some time but I haven't really looked into the details. Where did you get the slate? Was it pre-cut/drilled for the pockets or just a slab that needed to be cut? How difficult is it to get the felt perfect especially on the rails?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #43
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
When you say that you built the pool table was that an entire custom build? I've been contemplating doing a custom pool table some time but I haven't really looked into the details. Where did you get the slate? Was it pre-cut/drilled for the pockets or just a slab that needed to be cut? How difficult is it to get the felt perfect especially on the rails?
the pool table was originally my parents. my dad got it in the early 1970s - so it was very dated

we kept the 'guts' that hold the slate (they are nothing special), the slate (of course), the pockets (i'm still toying with making my own in the future) and the rubber from the bumpers (it was still great after 40 years.... they don't make things like they used to i guess!)

the felt wasn't that bad to do. i found instructions online for how to install pool table felt. the rails were not difficult to do either. my dad loved it becuz it was the perfect excuse to buy an upholstery staple gun. he'd wanted one forever but knew he'd get flack from my mom if if bought one... now he had a reason! ha! ha!

if i were you i'd look for a used one and then just reuse certain parts. also, mine is one piece of slate - sweet mother you need an army to move just the slate. i would look for one with the 3 slate pieces... much easier when needing to move it/take it apart
Old 02-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #44
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the pool table was originally my parents. my dad got it in the early 1970s - so it was very dated

we kept the 'guts' that hold the slate (they are nothing special), the slate (of course), the pockets (i'm still toying with making my own in the future) and the rubber from the bumpers (it was still great after 40 years.... they don't make things like they used to i guess!)

the felt wasn't that bad to do. i found instructions online for how to install pool table felt. the rails were not difficult to do either. my dad loved it becuz it was the perfect excuse to buy an upholstery staple gun. he'd wanted one forever but knew he'd get flack from my mom if if bought one... now he had a reason! ha! ha!

if i were you i'd look for a used one and then just reuse certain parts. also, mine is one piece of slate - sweet mother you need an army to move just the slate. i would look for one with the 3 slate pieces... much easier when needing to move it/take it apart
Yeah, I think that re-purposing an old pool table that I can find for cheap would be the best way to go. I would actually prefer a single piece over a 2 or 3 section slate because it is supposed to be more solid and stable. I just need to get my basement back so that I can use it for a games room.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #45
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't know prarieboy was Nick Offerman, that canoe is something else.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #46
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I made some serving boards for my family for Christmas this year

Walnut, Maple and Aromatic Cedar

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #47
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Yeah, I think that re-purposing an old pool table that I can find for cheap would be the best way to go. I would actually prefer a single piece over a 2 or 3 section slate because it is supposed to be more solid and stable. I just need to get my basement back so that I can use it for a games room.
my wife told me.... don't worry... you won't lose your games room when we have kids... i promise.

my pool table is currently covered with laundry that needs to be folded, kids toys, diaper boxes (with new diapers) and a host of other stuff (sometimes the piles get as high as almost the pool table light). there is crap piled everywhere and i can't even make it around the one side of the pool table. (none of this crap is mine, with the exception of maybe some clean laundry that's been dumped on the pool table... and in my mind, it should be folded/hung and put away and not on the table in the first place)

yea... i won't lose my games room... suuuure..... i believe you

it is getting better though.... the pile isn't quite at the pool table light right now - ugghh!
Old 02-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #48
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I built a table. But I wanted the stain to be really dark so I really laid it on. The problem is now, in certain parts it's blotchy. And in one area, the stain actually ran down one of the legs when I left.

Can I sand these problem areas with 220 or 320 and salvage it before I put on the polyurethane?

Seems like the best place to ask. I've never sanded actual stain.

This sounds like you rushed it. Pine is a difficult wood to stain in my experience, or at least a difficult one to get an even stain on.

Sand it back and start over, especially where the run down the leg is - I know it is not what you want to hear.

Like other have mentioned, use the wood conditioner and then do several coats building the stain. It will eventually reach your desired colour.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #49
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
my wife told me.... don't worry... you won't lose your games room when we have kids... i promise.
In her defense, you didn't lose it, it's just buried.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #50
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
This sounds like you rushed it. Pine is a difficult wood to stain in my experience, or at least a difficult one to get an even stain on.

Sand it back and start over, especially where the run down the leg is - I know it is not what you want to hear.

Like other have mentioned, use the wood conditioner and then do several coats building the stain. It will eventually reach your desired colour.
I might actually build a new one and maybe just paint this one or something and sell.

I might try shellac on the next one. I've never done that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to try shellac one day to, mostly because it is a fun word to say.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #52
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Kids Beds

While maybe not quite as refined as some of the awesome projects on here. I built these beds for my kids and am pretty proud of how they turned out.

Each Bed took about a month of weekends and evenings

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Last edited by gasman; 02-17-2017 at 08:12 AM.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #53
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

^^^those are fantastic! What age can you go into a big boy/big girl bed? I want to do something similar for my little dude when he is ready to graduate!

Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #54
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

gasman - those are awesome!!!

my daughter would LOVE the fire truck/paw patrol bed!!

well done
Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #55
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't sell those short gasman, those are amazing. I would kill to have a firetruck bed. Of course my wife might not love it as much as I do, but who cares. Firetruck bed.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #56
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that's really cool. Nice job.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #57
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The castle bed is pretty cool. I was thinking of doing something like that for my daughter when she outgrows her bed.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #58
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Awesome thread...Some talented people!

Has anyone done any knifesmithing? Watched Forged in Fire a few times and would like to try learning how to make my own. Obviously don't have my own furnace or forge, but looking for classes around Calgary.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #59
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Awesome thread...Some talented people!

Has anyone done any knifesmithing? Watched Forged in Fire a few times and would like to try learning how to make my own. Obviously don't have my own furnace or forge, but looking for classes around Calgary.

There was a guy from Calgary that I met a few Maker Faires ago that was blacksmithing. I think he built his own forge and everything. I imagine to get the kind of quality that they end up with in tv show would take a lot of practice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #60
trumpethead
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wont take all the credit but I helped build this 12 1/2' tall bouldering wall in my backyard last summer for my 16 y.o rock-climbing obsessed daughter

trumpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to trumpethead For This Useful Post: