Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #141
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Played with my back-up trailer assist yesterday on my F-150. It works flawlessly. Was about 10 minutes to set it up - you put a sticker on the trailer that the camera can see, then measure centre of ball to centre of sticker, back of tailgate to centre of axle, camera to sticker and that's it. Then you're cruising around backwards with a little joystick. Pretty futuristic seeming. It's really trippy that the steering wheel is just whizzing around without you touching it.

Haven't towed any distance so I'm not going to comment on how it tows with the light box yet. I'll be taking my trailer out within the next couple of weeks and will let you know about that.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #142
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Please post how the trailer back up works, I saw it on TV the other day and I instantly thought it was the best "gimmick" I've ever seen.

I'll be honest, I hate backing up because my wife gives me the worst direction ever. I don't know how many times I have to say "If you can't see me in the mirror I can't see you."
Haha, I had the same issue. We picked up some handheld 2 way radios - problem solved.

The radios also help keep the kids occupied when you're traveling with other rv'ers.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #143
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Please post how the trailer back up works, I saw it on TV the other day and I instantly thought it was the best "gimmick" I've ever seen.

I'll be honest, I hate backing up because my wife gives me the worst direction ever. I don't know how many times I have to say "If you can't see me in the mirror I can't see you."
I was pretty sure this same thing was going to lead to divorce. My wife is just so awful at this it's impressive. Like she's trying to screw with me.

Then I taught my daughter how to help when she was about 9 years old, and she's awesome at it. Perfect directions, never have to retry, I can always see her, it's awesome.

Marital bliss now, thanks to my daughter.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #144
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsgraham View Post
Have you towed with the new truck yet? I have two camping buddies that recently upgraded their older F-150's to 2016's with the aluminum body and are both having major issues with sway now.

I have always been a Chevy guy but was seriously considering making the jump to Ford until I heard this. Let me know your thoughts when you pull with it.
Towed my trailer with my 2016 F-150 on the weekend. I purposely didn't use my weight distribution hitch just to see how it would be. It was 100% flawless with no swaying or anything; however, my trailer is only 4000 pounds and it's a tent trailer so not a lot of wind resistance. If anybody is wondering why my tent trailer is so heavy it's because it has a big slide out and is 12' long, which is very big in tent trailer land.

I did read a lot on the F-150 forums about people complaining about the back end being light when towing heavier trailers, so the people saying that in this thread aren't alone. I can't imagine a weight distribution hitch not solving the problem, but I'm not an expert.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #145
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weight distribution hitches distribute tongue weight. They do not solve sway issues by definition, although some W/D hitches have anti-sway built into them.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #146
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Towed my trailer with my 2016 F-150 on the weekend. I purposely didn't use my weight distribution hitch just to see how it would be. It was 100% flawless with no swaying or anything; however, my trailer is only 4000 pounds and it's a tent trailer so not a lot of wind resistance. If anybody is wondering why my tent trailer is so heavy it's because it has a big slide out and is 12' long, which is very big in tent trailer land.

I did read a lot on the F-150 forums about people complaining about the back end being light when towing heavier trailers, so the people saying that in this thread aren't alone. I can't imagine a weight distribution hitch not solving the problem, but I'm not an expert.
Bonair 1200? I have one and it is a great tent trailer, I am sad mine is being written off due to a mouse infestation. they are getting hard to find in good condition.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #147
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Bonair 1200? I have one and it is a great tent trailer, I am sad mine is being written off due to a mouse infestation. they are getting hard to find in good condition.
No, it's a Forest River something something. Circa 2000. It really doesn't feel that old - I'm actually surprised it is 16 years old now that I write it down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #148
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
I love the Int of the new F-150, if they get rid of the ugly headlights and clean up the exhaust it'll be one of the best trucks ever.

For size.
Spoiler!
Headlights are nice on the 18's and Dual Exhaust comes on the 2019's
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #149
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #150
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ I'm currently sniffing around for a new truck, I found this thread so rather than start a new one why not use it? maybe re-name it the "ongoing...
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #151
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookster View Post
Just purchased a new truck yesterday. Picking it up on the weekend. Does anyone know of a good priced aftermarket place to get 3M protection put on a vehicle. These guys want $1000 almost to put 3M on and that seems somewhat high
I know this is 2 years old, but for anyone else that might be interested, I've used ZR Auto to get 3M on my vehicle in the past. The guy does an amazing job for a reasonable price and got my in within a week. Also offers a great warranty for free

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #152
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
maybe re-name it the "ongoing...
“Let’s talk about the ongoing new fricken’ truck megathread v6 : SUVs are no good - now with more trucks”
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #153
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Have you guys seen the new Ram tailgate? I'd like that for loading stuff in my truck with a forklift. The seam looks a little off, but function over fashion, I suppose.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #154
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Have you guys seen the new Ram tailgate? I'd like that for loading stuff in my truck with a forklift. The seam looks a little off, but function over fashion, I suppose.
That's pretty cool. It wont be long before it looks normal to have a seam on the tailgate. Just like crew cab trucks. I thought they looked so ridiculous 20 years ago.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #155
canada_hdk21
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have a Nissan Titan V8 for the last 6 years and love this thing ... nothing super fancy but it will pull a small trailer.
canada_hdk21 is offline   Reply With Quote