Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #21
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, see, first you are going to want to get a line on some white Oakley's and some truck nutz. Calvin pissing on a logo is good too, but you may be dating yourself a bit with that one. So your call there. Don't forget to save some cash for a lift kit and 35" mudders. As for the truck itself? Whatever, man. That's not the important part. It's all about the accessories. Speaking of which, don't get mud flaps. They'll just slow you down and make it harder to destroy your opponent's windshield. If you are going to tow a trailer, make sure it is at least 3 times taller than the cab of your truck. That's the minimum ratio, feel free to go bigger. HID lights are a must to start with, but you may as well go with the full rack to show people you mean business.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #22
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I recently decided to lock myself down as a true Albertan and invest in a truck.

Problem is, I know almost nothing about trucks.

Who makes a great truck?
Am I better going new, or used?
How much towing capacity do I need (if I wanted to tow a small camper)?
Should I get bed liner?
Is there something your truck has that has been great?
Is there something you wish your truck had?

I'm not going to be doing much hauling, I don't live on a farm, I don't even really need a truck specifically (except to tow some light camping setup). It's just what I want.

So... any recommendations?
Okay about 6 weeks ago I started working in sales at a GMC dealership, after a career in the oil field. I've always been an GM truck fanboy but since I've started selling them my positioned has really been reaffirmed. All though I'm not "A Car Salesman Professional ask me anything yet" I can try to give you some information

The 2014 and newer GMC trucks are really a step up from the older models and have quite an edge on the competition. Features such as Apple Car Play/ Android Auto (truck exclusive to GMC), 6yr/ 160000km free roadside assistance and overall ride quality are just some of the reason I would by a GMC Sierra.

As for your questions
1) I would say a 2014 or newer GMC Sierra
2) New or used is all personal, all warranties stick with the vehicle so buying a used one can still carry a lot of security. If you are considering a used one get the VIN and call a dealer service dept and they will give you the warranty balance remaining. Right now GMC is offering 0% financing for 84 months on new 1500 Sierras, an offer you will not get with buying used
3) GMC 1500 Crew cabs start at 9200lb towing capacity which is more then enough then it sounds like you will need, you can also get factory towing package which includes trailer brakes.
4) Get a bed liner, spray in or a plastic Duraliner, factory or aftermarket, especially if you are buying new.
5) I have a Pace Edwards roll top locking box cover that has been great
6) make sure to get a full crew cab (not just a four door/ extended cab)
Also if buying new see if you are eligible for preferred pricing which is many people are and don't even know about it.
http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporat...ng/eligibility

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 07-25-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #23
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's all about the accessories.
I happened to catch this tastefully accessoried truck yesterday.

Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #24
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I happened to catch this tastefully accessoried truck yesterday.

I call BS.

No #Albertastrong or #FMMstrong

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #25
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ if a truck has proper mud flaps, I approve.

Honestly, he could have swastikas and hate speech all over the exterior, but if you put mud flaps on, you'll get an approving nod from me and my windshield.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #26
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

RE: Budget

I'd like to spend 35K or less. I can comfortably afford plenty more, but that would keep me happy as I'd much rather get JUST enough truck for the price rather than pay for things I don't really need.

I've noticed both F-150s and Sierras have pretty good prices right now. Ford is running at employee pricing right now, does anyone have experience haggling down from that?

I'm terribly cheap when it comes to vehicles.

Thanks for all the help so far and all the jokes!
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #27
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'd like to spend 35K or less. I can comfortably afford plenty more, but that would keep me happy as I'd much rather get JUST enough truck for the price rather than pay for things I don't really need.

I've noticed both F-150s and Sierras have pretty good prices right now. Ford is running at employee pricing right now, does anyone have experience haggling down from that?

Nice humble brag.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I almost forgot: fuel economy!

I understand whatever I get will probably be laughably bad compared to my car. That's fine.

What sort of cost do a lot of you guys find you incur at today's prices? Price to fill? How far a tank gets you? Etc.

I recently drove to BC and back (about 7 hours of highway driving) on 1 $50 tank of gas. Is that going to double? Triple?
Old 07-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's not how a humble brag works, it's just an ordinary brag...

Anyway can I just be me for a minute and ask why you're all about getting a truck despite having no real practical reason for needing it?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #30
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:
Default Buying A New Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Nice humble brag.
Haha at least I wasn't hockey.modern who is 'considering' a 70K truck! Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's not how a humble brag works, it's just an ordinary brag...

Anyway can I just be me for a minute and ask why you're all about getting a truck despite having no real practical reason for needing it?

Towing seems practical. I only NEED to tow a tent trailer. I'd like to have that option (and maybe more) if I want it.

Plus the convenience of buying a semi-large item and not having to panic when it can't be somehow crammed into my sedan.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 07-25-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

In August 2012, I leased my F-150 for my business during their employee pricing event. There is tons of wiggle room and they're just giving them away. I ended up with a very nice truck for $30k, plus they paid out my last two payments on my Tacoma, which was another $800 value. That's a lot of vehicle for $29,200 and it was trouble free for the entire four years I owned it. When do the 2017s come in...September? They're going to want the 2016s gone by then.

In my experience the Employee Pricing Event or whatever it's called isn't just some crappy marketing campaign; you can get legit deals.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #32
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Towing seems practical. I only NEED to tow a tent trailer. I'd like to have that option (and maybe more) if I want it. Plus the convenience of buying a semi-large item and not having to panic when it can't be somehow crammed into my sedan.

See, it just seems like a moderately sized SUV would serve the purpose better here and be far, far more practical and bang-for-the-buck, both in terms of vehicle cost, quality / lifespan and fuel economy.

I know, it's basically for non-rational reasons, you said that already. I can't really fault that while driving a 40 year old Datsun. I just do not understand what this non-rational allure consists of.

Anyway, to be less of a downer... what about diesel?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-25-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #33
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Okay about 6 weeks ago I started working in sales at a GMC dealership, after a career in the oil field. </snip>
Yeah, the GMC's are great trucks. I bought a new to me 2014 Sierra CC with the 6'6 box earlier in the year and I love it. It had a Duraliner in it but I took it out and will likely do a spray in down the road. Put a Roll-N-Lock on it a couple weeks back and it's been great. Awesome for road trips.

Question for you though, Derek - Has your dealership seen any trucks come in with the "Chevy Shake"? http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...s-now-too.html
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #34
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

See, it just seems like a moderately sized SUV would serve the purpose better here and be far, far more practical and bang-for-the-buck, both in terms of vehicle cost, quality / lifespan and fuel economy.

I know, it's basically for non-rational reasons, you said that already. I can't really fault that while driving a 40 year old Datsun. I just do not understand what this non-rational allure consists of.
Some people like cool looking European cars that cost a lot. And there's no practical reason for getting one. Getting a Chevy Cruze will get you from point A to B.

Some people like cool looking trucks. Sure, a Chevy Cruze would transport you. But the bonus here is that when you buy a large item, you can move it yourself instead of begging one of your friends who own a truck to help. Also, if you want to tow a camper or boat, you already have the means. Furthermore, if you do a mini reno and need some drywall or plywood or something, or even to take the demo material to the dump, you have the means.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #35
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah yeah I just have a mental disconnect because a truck is a quintessentially practical vehicle as opposed to a toy to me. Forget it. Carry on. I'm actually curious as to why no one has mentioned diesel.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #36
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

The heart wants what it wants.

As far as diesel goes - I'd love it. Problem is, I have yet to find many reasonably priced diesel packages (at least new).
Old 07-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #37
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

SUVs are quite useless when you compare to a truck. Can't put anything in them. Not sure what the OPs family situation is, but if kids are in play, especially boys you can expect to haul bikes, dirt bikes etc.

If fuel economy is a concern, the new F150 offers a 2.7L turbo ecoboost which is plenty powerful and is decent on gas.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #38
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a Ram 1500 SLT in the fall last year and have been happy with the purchase so far. I was looking at both Ford F150's, Chevy and Rams. I didn't like the Chevy product at all so I dropped that one off the list and focused on the Ford and Rams. It boiled down to financing for me and the RAM had great options so I went with it.

As for gas mileage, well its a truck so its going to burn through more fuel than your use to. I went from a 4 banger to the Hemi and wasn't fully prepared for the amount of Gas is uses especially when towing. I bought a trailer (6000 lbs) as well and when towing I get around 26 liters per 100km, its brutal. Around town with the Hemi I get around 15 liters per 100km.

I did look at the ecodeisel option on the Ram which is way better on mileage but the $3500 price tag drove me away.

Some must haves for me:
- Remote starter. Doesn't fit in my garage so wanted to be able to warm it up from the comfort of my bed
- back up camera
- bedliner
- tonneau cover
- crew cab (hauling the family around)
- tow package - bought the trailer and this was a must for me

Happy truck buying!!
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #39
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

If you are cheap when it comes to vehicles, why would you buy new?

You've got the budget to basically buy whatever used truck you want (within reason).

Given that you don't really seem to need a 1/2 ton, you might want to check out some of the smaller trucks. Colorado, Canyon, Frontier, Tacoma.

I really dislike Tacoma's, as I feel that Toyota has been lazy for the past 20 years, but they hold their value insanely well.

Go drive a bunch, see what you like.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #40
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rather be Cummin than Strokin'

Pretty much all you need to know when shopping for trucks
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post: