Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #641
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lately I am becoming more and more disappointed in the news reporting. The miss asking the obvious questions, and it really seems that all that matters is being first to break the story.

Anyways, I hope what was posted above is true, just because i would hate to see someone post that just beacause
Old 10-15-2018, 08:46 PM   #642
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Assuming this is true, you can all shut up now.

I personally would love everybody who has such an adverse opinion about this to go eat crow and stfu. This is a tragic situation in all aspects and these dumb opinions have no place anywhere, regardless if the parents are on CP (by the way, that has got to be one of the dumbest arguments I have ever heard). These opinions are like a fart. Everybody has them, nobody cares.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #643
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Whelp. Parents need to be held criminally responsible as far as I'm concerned. Maybe an overreaction but there's no way in hell your child should be using the train alone at that age.
Knowing what we do now, I hope you're happy with yourself for this type of comment. You disgust me.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #644
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

My daughter is six too
We struggle with knowing how much freedom to give her but we used this as an opportunity to discuss what to do in the event you are crossing the tracks and the lights start
Stuff can happen so quick. Obviously even more elements at play here
No one to blame but a reminder about how important traffic safety is.
Utterly devastating
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #645
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
regardless if the parents are on CP (by the way, that has got to be one of the dumbest arguments I have ever heard)
I don't know about the parents being on here, but several years ago, there was a C-Train suicide and it was reported here. Both the spouse and adult child of the deceased person found the post via google, I assume, registered and commented. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that the parents could find this the same way and read the comments. I know that previous post was...well, you can draw your own conclusions. That may be from whence that "argument" came.

Last edited by Minnie; 10-15-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #646
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I don't know about the parents being on here, but several years ago, there was a C-Train suicide and it was reported here. Both the spouse and adult child of the deceased person found the post via google, I assume, registered and commented. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that the parents could find this the same way and read the comments. I know that previous post was...well, you can draw your own conclusions. That may be from whence that "argument" came.
Reading the posts in that thread, knowing the fact that the family read it, makes me absolutely sick.

I sincerely hope the people saying hurtful things out of misplaced anger can step back and think about what they’re saying. Show some empathy, and use the post you’ve mentioned as a prime example of why rushing to judgement and blame only risks hurting others, and helps nobody.

Heart goes out to the family of the girl and the witnesses. What a nightmare. I hope the family never reads this thread. Sad moment for this place.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #647
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Dion, what are you doing?
I wasn't mocking bigtmac19 but rather the ongoing sniping she talked about between people who are judging the circumstances. The OP was right about it being tiresome.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:23 AM   #648
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Not only everything you mentioned, but folks should keep in mind as well that the more 'breaking' the news is, the LESS accurate it also is. I watched this unfold today, and look at the all the various hoops people jumped through with assumptions. Her age. Location. Motivation. Parental Involvement. I know that it's difficult, but if something causes someone to have an emotional reaction, maybe take a moment to consider if all (or heck, even just MOST) of the info is actually accurate or not.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 05:12 AM   #649
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just like the news channels I find some posters just want to break the story with their insensitive, unsubstantiated “hot take”.

Last edited by RichKlit; 10-16-2018 at 12:05 PM.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RichKlit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #650
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Knowing what we do now, I hope you're happy with yourself for this type of comment. You disgust me.
What do we know? Nothing. There's a heavily redacted random post on FB from a mystery person. We still don't have the details, and my point remains if the child was left alone and died it is negligence on the parents part.

Assuming it's true this child is a special needs child and just upped and left, that is still negligence. I promise you if I was looking after our kids one day 5 years from now and my 6 year old daughter wandered out of the house and was gone long enough to find her way to a train crossing and got hit by the train my wife would leave me and possibly murder me. No hyperbole. Is it a terrible tragedy that this child is gone? Obviously. Will the parents forever be traumatized? Sadly yes and they will think about this and be haunted by it forever. But negligence isn't washed away by feelings of guilt.

Again, we don't have the full details. Keeping in my mind my OP or 2nd post literally I posted myself I was possibly overreaction. We need more information of course, but don't sprain your ankles trying to use this tragedy to get on a high horse and virtue signal to the internet how you're such a special and empathetic person.

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-16-2018 at 09:05 AM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #651
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What do we know? Nothing. There's a heavily redacted random post on FB from a mystery person. We still don't have the details, and my point remains if the child was left alone and died it is negligence on the parents part.

Assuming it's true this child is a special needs child and just upped and left, that is still negligence. I promise you if I was looking after our kids one day 5 years from now and my 6 year old daughter wandered out of the house and was gone long enough to find her way to a train crossing and got hit by the train my wife would leave me and possibly murder me. No hyperbole. Is it a terrible tragedy that this child is gone? Obviously. Will the parents forever be traumatized? Sadly yes and they will think about this and be haunted by it forever. But negligence isn't washed away by feelings of guilt.

Again, we don't have the full details. Keeping in my mind my OP or 2nd post literally I posted myself I was possibly overreaction. We need more information of course, but don't sprain your ankles trying to use this tragedy to get on a high horse and virtue signal to the internet how you're such a special and empathetic person.
Maybe just stay out of this thread? You're embarrassing yourself.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #652
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What do we know? Nothing
That's the crux of the issue right there. Why are you doubling down on your pious judgement despite acknowledging we don't know all the facts?

It really says alot more about you instead of this family.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #653
Knut

Exp:

Quote:

No. It’s sinply a tragic accident. Don’t double down.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #654
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take your 'L' White Out and dip out of this argument. You're not helping your case.

#### happens.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #655
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worst. Poster. Ever.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #656
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How long do you think that a 6 or 7 year old child can be out of a parent's sight in the home before it becomes negligent? Serious question.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #657
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
a) I am the one who redacted those names as I know one of the parties whose name appeared. Join any Calgary related fb group if you so badly want to see the names as the post has been shared many times
b) Calgary Herald has verified the post to be correct
c) Please leave this thread
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #658
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Further confirmation.

Quote:
The family says they didn’t know she had left the home, which is a few blocks from the LRT station, and that they are very careful about monitoring her whereabouts and would never allow her to walk alone.

They say that the little girl usually takes the bus to school and that it picks her up in front of their home every morning.

Her father says she has never left home like that before and that the family is trying to make some sense of the tragedy.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/parents-o...gedy-1.4136535
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #659
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Whelp. Parents need to be held criminally responsible as far as I'm concerned. Maybe an overreaction but there's no way in hell your child should be using the train alone at that age.
Maybe you should stop overreacting until all the information is out?
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #660
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Maybe you should stop overreacting until all the information is out?
Probably.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote