Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #3581
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018/2019 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Yeah no way in hell im trading one of the veteran dmen right now. Anderson can hardly skate, and in my opinions would get torn apart in the playoffs today. He really needs to improve his skating. It is getting him in trouble atleast a couple times a night.

I think this is a case of being hyper-critical, which definitely happens when analyzing the home team the way we do.

With two rookie defencemen in the line-up we’ve beaten Vancouver, Colorado and Nashville while losing a game to St. Louis that really boiled down to sub-par goaltending.

Andersson and Valimaki will make mistakes, and they will learn from them. So far, the adventure with these two kids has been worthwhile. We’re winning games and they’re not playing insignificant roles. Take the lumps as they come, because the early returns are more than worth it and will only get better.

(I also definitely agree - we should not be trading a veteran d-man. Depth is needed)

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-15-2018 at 12:36 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #3582
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I personally think Prout should get sent down when Hamonic returns.

I like the 7 guys that would remain as I think Stone is an important insurance policy to keep on the team for this season at the very least. I think all 7 guys will be important to the teams success throughout the season.

I don't mind the rookies making mistakes and Peters throwing them right back out there so they can learn from them and not be stapled to the bench dwelling on them.

It's nice to never have to worry about a player like Bartkowski getting into the lineup!
Old 10-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #3583
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I personally think Prout should get sent down when Hamonic returns.

I like the 7 guys that would remain as I think Stone is an important insurance policy to keep on the team for this season at the very least. I think all 7 guys will be important to the teams success throughout the season.

I don't mind the rookies making mistakes and Peters throwing them right back out there so they can learn from them and not be stapled to the bench dwelling on them.

It's nice to never have to worry about a player like Bartkowski getting into the lineup!
The issue is -Prout gets sent down and, assuming Stone plays, one of Valimaki or Andersson sits for lots of games (probably Rasmus). Not good for development.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #3584
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The issue is -Prout gets sent down and, assuming Stone plays, one of Valimaki or Andersson sits for lots of games (probably Rasmus). Not good for development.
Not necessarily bad for development either. Not saying cooking in the AHL is anything but a good thing, but practicing with the main squad and rotating into the lineup (which Peters seems to be a fan of) isn’t a bad thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #3585
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm not sure it's such a sure thing that Valmiki or Andersson become the 7th defensman when Hamonic returns. It seems people are almost split 50/50 on Andersson right now but I happen to think he brings more to each game right now than Stone does, and being on the ice in the last minutes of the Colorado game is a testament to that. Even if he was only out there because Gio and Brodie were gassed, Stone would never be in that situation.

And sure he isn't the best skater but can we without a doubt say that Hamonic isnt just as slow and gets by just fine?

I'm not saying this is my prediction, I just think there is a world where Andersson and Hanifin play well enough to stay together even after Hamonic gets back. They compliment each other well, and both can play on both sides of the ice. That would put a more dependable Hamonic with Valimaki, and Stone in the press box.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #3586
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Hamonic
Stone

They both deserve to stay up and I prefer Prout be sent down. Running 6 effective dmen is more important than who the 12th forward is so if you need toughness insert Peluso.

Cycle Stone in every so often.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #3587
Iggy599
Farm Team Player

Exp:

From what I've seen I'd prefer Rasmus to head back to the Heat. Most of us thought he would make the team this camp and Valimaki surprised. He's good with his stick but he was the turning point in the loss to St. Louis when he gave away the puck on a terrible play when we had momentum and were on the comeback. Not saying we would have won the game anyways but it certainly put the team in a bad spot.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #3588
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Andersson has nothing left to prove in the AHL.

He dominated from the backend and there isn't anything left for him to do down there.

I know you could make a similar case for Mangiapane but the difference is Eat Bread couldn't stay healthy last year which was his dominant year pts/g wise.

Andersson is ready for a new challenge, he's gotten in shape, knocked his poor conditioning rep, played well in a rookie AHL year, dominated the following year, made the all-star team, stayed healthy throughout.

Peters is the perfect coach for this group, he has no qualms about playing young dmen and he has helped develop quite the stable on the backend in Carolina. Hamilton is 5th in TOI because Faulk, Slavin and Pesce are all really good dmen, who along with Hanifin had their development strongly influenced by Bill.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #3589
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki and Andersson are both NHL quality. So is Stone. I just don't think Stone sits, however, and I don't think you could get enough of a rotation to keep Andersson busy enough.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #3590
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure is nice having 7 NHL quality Dmen, three of which who are 21 or younger, six of which who are 28 or under and also Kylington who is nearly ready and just 21 years old himself.

Hopefully as the younger D develop into bigger roles, Tre can deal the older ones for futures of some sort during the off season, rather than have them walk as UFAs.

Take a page out of the Ducks playbook.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #3591
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Stone should be dealt to the Penguins. Schultz is out for 4 months.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #3592
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Renaud Lavoie @renlavoietva
Now confirmed. Jacob De La Rose is on waivers today @CanadiensMTL
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #3593
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki is amazing. I just thought I'd say that.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #3594
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I think Stone should be dealt to the Penguins. Schultz is out for 4 months.
And then when we lost a dman for 4 months ? We don't have the option to trade a d anymore because we already traded Kulak who would have been our safety net.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #3595
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
And then when we lost a dman for 4 months ? We don't have the option to trade a d anymore because we already traded Kulak who would have been our safety net.
Nah, who needs depth. Let’s just trade it all.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #3596
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Has he totally recovered only five games in? As we saw Saturday night he still appears prone to major gaffes.
It was a tough start no doubt, but a bad hop and missing his man when two others players made major mistakes hardly undoes what he's done overall in five games though.

Top five player in all possession stats, 5th in points, 3rd in +/-

Not much not to like

Last edited by Textcritic; 10-16-2018 at 10:51 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #3597
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that first Avs goal was a fail on the part of all the Flames players. Nobody was paying attention after puck drop.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #3598
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Has he totally recovered only five games in? As we saw Saturday night he still appears prone to major gaffes.

His "major gaffes" in game 5 are sequences you will see Giordano, Hanifin, Hamonic, Stone, Valimaki, and Andersson make at some point this season. Of course, you don't want most of those guys besides Gio matched up to Nathan MacKinnon, whereas, as Brodie showed for the rest of that game, Brodie is a guy you want matched up to Nathan MacKinnon.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 10-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #3599
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think in the off-season you need to consider trading both Frolik and Stone to open up some cap space for a #1 goalie and extensions.

Frolik+Stone+Smith+Buyouts (Murphy+Bouma) = $13 MM

Matthew Tkachuk = 7.0 MM
Sam Bennett (if he plays well) = 3.0 MM
Andrew Mangiapane = 850k
David Rittich = 1.0 MM

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm = 17.975 MM
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Czarnik = 9.9 MM
Bennett-Backlund-Neal = 14.1 MM
Dube-Ryan-Mangiapane = 4.75 MM
2 Extras = 1.6 MM

Giordano-Brodie = 11.4 MM
Hamonic-Hanifin = 8.81 MM
Andersson-Valimaki = 1.65 MM
1 Extra = 0.80 MM

Starting Goalie (???)
David Rittich = 0.80 MM

Without a starting goalie, that comes to $72.7 MM (including $1.5 MM Brouwer Buyout)

The current cap is set at $79.5 MM

So, if the cap doesn't move at all (generally it moves up), the Flames will have ~$6.8 MM to spend on a starting goalie next season with that roster.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #3600
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
It was a tough start no doubt, but a bad hop and missing his man when two others players made major mistakes hardly undoes what he's done overall in five games though.

Top five player in all possession stats, 5th in points, 3rd in +/-

Not much not to like
I'm not making any conclusions based on five games though that he's better or worse. He should be better by default playing on the side he's more comfortable and with a superior partner but the gaffes are what set him apart from other Flames defenseman last year because he had many and they were often disastrous. We all know the best defensemen get beat but it's the inexcusable mistakes that are killer. Brodie to me is like Smith in that he's got to prove over the long term that he can be better than last season.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-16-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Closed Thread