Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #2681
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's pretty common on a lot of shows. The vast majority of the times you see someone on tv watching a football game, it'll be a CFL game. The only exception is if the game is a significant plot point on the show and it's clearly a tie-in with the NFL (especially if it's an episode that's airing within a week of the Super Bowl on the network that is broadcasting the Super Bowl).
Old 10-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #2682
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
A neat little Easter egg for Canadians watching Ozark is that every NFL game on TV's in pubs and homes is actually CFL games.
I caught that when Buddy was in his basement on the second last episode.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #2683
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
A neat little Easter egg for Canadians watching Ozark is that every NFL game on TV's in pubs and homes is actually CFL games.
In fact, it's the same game each time. Argos vs. Ti-Cats.

In a couple of scenes it's the same play.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #2684
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That's pretty common on a lot of shows. The vast majority of the times you see someone on tv watching a football game, it'll be a CFL game. The only exception is if the game is a significant plot point on the show and it's clearly a tie-in with the NFL (especially if it's an episode that's airing within a week of the Super Bowl on the network that is broadcasting the Super Bowl).
It was pretty cool when This Is Us had footage of the Super Bowl that had just finished being played moments before the episode aired.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:38 AM   #2685
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far really enjoying The Haunting of hill house.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #2686
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frankenstein Chronicles with Sean Bean is really solid. Really interesting way of reinterpreting the Frankenstein story. It takes place in London, shortly after the publication of Mary Shelley's novel, with a series of murders possibly being committed by someone inspired by her story, and Sean Bean as a member of the Thames River Police, which on its own is a really fascinating topic as one of the world's first police service (and yet, the show is still happy to play all of the classic police tropes, like a captain placing an overly aggressive sergeant on suspension when he ruffles the wrong feathers). I really hope Netflix orders another season of this.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #2687
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I don't watch a lot of Netflix but we tried on season 2 of Big Mouth.

What an awful show. Turned it off half way through the first episode. How do people tolerate this garbage?
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #2688
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
My wife and I don't watch a lot of Netflix but we tried on season 2 of Big Mouth.

What an awful show. Turned it off half way through the first episode. How do people tolerate this garbage?
Different strokes for different folks.

I watched season 1 and loved it.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #2689
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Different strokes for different folks.

I watched season 1 and loved it.
Agreed. I'm halfway through season 2 and it's even better than season 1. My wife hates the show and wonders why I watch it hahaha.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #2690
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
Agreed. I'm halfway through season 2 and it's even better than season 1. My wife hates the show and wonders why I watch it hahaha.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It is a good reminder of what kids are going through as puberty starts to rear its head.

If it weren't so dirty though, they could probably watch this is in sex. ed or human sexuality as it's now called.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #2691
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, is Rick and Michonne maybe the most awkward, chemistry deprived 'romance' on TV ever?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #2692
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked “A Users Guide to Cheating Death”. Debunking health fads and gimmicks. I think the host is from Alberta. Lots of Canadian guests.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #2693
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just want to say Big Mouth is hilarious. And as others have said its somewhat educational too lol. Season 2 is even better in my opinion.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #2694
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
So far really enjoying The Haunting of hill house.
Surprised to see no one talking about this.

Mike Flanagan (Gerald's Game, Oculus) is making a real gud horror show that is actually scary. The cast is great, and the dread is palpable. I'm only 3 episodes in and the idea that there are still 7 episodes of this show is crazy.

The cast (with exception of 1 of the child actors in the 80s sequences) is extremely good, the direction, cinematography and sound design are incredible.

Tense plotting, excellent pacing. It's a better version of S1 of American Horror Story really, with less scenery chewing and more actual scares.

My only major gripe is that about 1/3rd of the scares are loud-stinger jump scares (that have become the "not horror-horror" go-to du 'jour since Gore Verbinski vomited out The Ring remake), but there is so much body horror, foreboding and legitimate dread that those actually feel like the least jarring parts of the show.

I almost feel like this is the first real horror TV show to actually make me uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #2695
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
About halfway through the doc series "The Staircase". Similar vibe to Making a Murderer with a fair bit of behind the scene legal prep, as it was filmed prior to and during the trial. So glad the Canadian system avoids, for the most part, trial by TV.

Same here. Awesome watch.

Wont say anything as I'm not sure where you are in the series but I can't wait to see the final 3-4 episodes this week/weekend.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #2696
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post

What are you gonna do?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #2697
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Surprised to see no one talking about this.

Mike Flanagan (Gerald's Game, Oculus) is making a real gud horror show that is actually scary. The cast is great, and the dread is palpable. I'm only 3 episodes in and the idea that there are still 7 episodes of this show is crazy.

The cast (with exception of 1 of the child actors in the 80s sequences) is extremely good, the direction, cinematography and sound design are incredible.

Tense plotting, excellent pacing. It's a better version of S1 of American Horror Story really, with less scenery chewing and more actual scares.

My only major gripe is that about 1/3rd of the scares are loud-stinger jump scares (that have become the "not horror-horror" go-to du 'jour since Gore Verbinski vomited out The Ring remake), but there is so much body horror, foreboding and legitimate dread that those actually feel like the least jarring parts of the show.

I almost feel like this is the first real horror TV show to actually make me uncomfortable.
We just started it last night got through the first 2 episodes its REALLY good. if you like horror stuff this show is for you. I can echo the sentiments of getting chills while watching, a few scenes legitimately make me uncomfortable (end of episode one actually gave me a chill down my spine)

Cant wait to power through this one
Iggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #2698
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I just can't watch horror movies/tv. I can't handle them. I get extremely anxious and then can't sleep for days. Even trailers for scary movies/TV shows throw me off.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #2699
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll also add that for those out there with a 4K TV w/ HDR, Haunting of Hill House is in Dolby Vision and looks spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #2700
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thoroughly enjoyed Maniac, start to finish. Great performances by Emma Stone and Jonah Hill, wonderfully realized world and supporting characters, and satisfying character arcs.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote