Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #21
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet Iggy has been training relentlessly since his surgery last year and ends up getting a contract. I’m going to hope it’s here because he personifies a lot of what this team was missing last year, and I believe a year off to heal and train has him in amazing shape (he was already a beast).
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #22
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I remember Conroy saying that Iggy wants to win a cup so bad that will do anything in his power to make it happen. If that means hanging around as a 40 year old waiting for the call, then so be it.
LOL, Conroy will excitedly and incessantly natter on about the sandwich he just had for lunch, if prompted.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #23
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
LOL, Conroy will excitedly and incessantly natter on about the sandwich he just had for lunch, if prompted.
Guys who are desperate for a cup don't sign 4 year with non-contenders at the end of their careers.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #24
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Guys who are desperate for a cup don't sign 4 year with non-contenders at the end of their careers.
Wants to win, as long as he's also making $5 million a year at 36+
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #25
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe that was the only deal offered to him?

I have a hard time believing he had multiple attractive offers and he simply followed the money.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #26
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I bet Iggy has been training relentlessly since his surgery last year and ends up getting a contract. I’m going to hope it’s here because he personifies a lot of what this team was missing last year, and I believe a year off to heal and train has him in amazing shape (he was already a beast).
Yeah I am going to disagree.

Iggy signing here would be like seeing the hot chick or hot guy from high school at your reunion. They just aren't what you remember.

He has a great legacy at this organization, he was a beast when he was here, but I think that time and the game has passed him by.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #27
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:
icon57

https://youtu.be/KU8XfX8zsC4 (AC got me all misty eyed with is video)

https://youtu.be/QHBVAuCNruo

https://youtu.be/3p0PyvNdDGg

Love you Iginla!
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gaudreau is a Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #28
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Maybe that was the only deal offered to him?

I have a hard time believing he had multiple attractive offers and he simply followed the money.
Seems very, very unlikely that was the only offer available to him. Might've been the only one that had anywhere near that term and dollar value.

I think its a combination of him following the money/term and him overrating how close COL was to competing. I mean Iginla has shown he isn't very good at picking contenders. He insisted on going to PIT over BOS because he thought they were close and then PIT misused him and BOS went to the cup finals. Then the next summer he signs with BOS anyways and then they don't make it as far. His best bet at that point to win the cup was probably just going for cheap, 1 year deals with the best contenders. How do you not come to the conclusion that he chased the money when he signed with COL? I mean you can argue they should've been better than they were but if winning was truly the #1 priority there's no way you pick COL. For sure there would've been less lucrative shorter deals offered by teams who were true contenders.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #29
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Colorado was coming off a real nice season with a bunch of solid young players in Duchene, Oreilly, Mackinnon, Landeskog, Barrie. That team made the playoffs the year before Iggy signed there. Were they a true contender? Probably not, but he might not have been getting offers from the true contenders.

I'm sure the 4 year offer was the best of the bunch and you can't blame him for wanting to take care of his family either. He knew that was going to be his last big payday. He was hoping to cash in and play on an up and coming team. Well he definitely cashed in, but the team imploded while he was there.

It sucks that it turned out that way for him, but I never got the impression that he was only signing in Denver for the cash. He wanted to win there as well.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #30
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

He didn't want to be part of a rebuild in Calgary yet he went to the Avs...then the Flames won a round lol
Old 07-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #31
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
I need him back in this city.

Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #32
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
On the contrary, I dont think it would make any good. Sure, he is a great leader, but this team already has guys set for that role. I know leadership was an issue, but it was partly because guys who were supposed to lead by example, like Stajan and Brouwer were underachieving on ice and then its hard to be a role model if the young guys do not feel like you are worthy member of the team. Sure, Iggy was great player, but he would be just a shade of former himself and some players may be feeling like he is taking a roster spot from some prospects just to be an NHLer little longer with a slight chance for the cup.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #33
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Why hasn't Jarome Iginla retired yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Yeah I am going to disagree.

Iggy signing here would be like seeing the hot chick or hot guy from high school at your reunion. They just aren't what you remember.

He has a great legacy at this organization, he was a beast when he was here, but I think that time and the game has passed him by.

Anyone expecting to see a 41 year old be the Iggy of Old is just goofy.

He competes harder than most, and could still be a good depth piece. I watched Iggy during his stint with LA - the man competes. He was nowhere near as slow as people thought, and he just battled.

I’d happily give a chance to someone who is out there unloading absolutely everything they have left in the tank. At the very least, a PTO to compete against Brouwer/Lazar/Foo. I doubt he’ll need a PTO at the end of the day though. If he chooses to play, I bet he gets a contract.

Also, from the sports story perspective I’ll always choose the potential for a beautiful story rather than just dismiss it outright. Seeing Iginla raise the cup would be a truly beautiful sight and I’d be onboard with giving that a chance to play out...no matter how slim the odds are.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-10-2018 at 03:40 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #34
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd still take Iggy over Brouwer.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #35
roberts10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
https://youtu.be/KU8XfX8zsC4 (AC got me all misty eyed with is video)

https://youtu.be/QHBVAuCNruo

https://youtu.be/3p0PyvNdDGg

Love you Iginla!
Man, those 2004 cup run highlights still give me goosebumps. That team, lead by Iggy, sure deserved a better fate. I really wish he would have won the cup. Those are some of my favorite memories.
roberts10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roberts10 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #36
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts10 View Post
Man, those 2004 cup run highlights still give me goosebumps. That team, lead by Iggy, sure deserved a better fate. I really wish he would have won the cup. Those are some of my favorite memories.
Feels like another lifetime ago.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #37
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

He'd be our best player on our 4th line.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #38
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Why hasn't Jarome Iginla retired yet?

Quote:
Anyone expecting to see a 41 year old be the Iggy of Old is just goofy.

He competes harder than most, and could still be a good depth piece. I watched Iggy during his stint with LA - the man competes. He was nowhere near as slow as people thought, and he just battled.

I’d happily give a chance to someone who is out there unloading absolutely everything they have left in the tank. At the very least, a PTO to compete against Brouwer/Lazar/Foo. I doubt he’ll need a PTO at the end of the day though. If he chooses to play, I bet he gets a contract.

Also, from the sports story perspective I’ll always choose the potential for a beautiful story rather than just dismiss it outright. Seeing Iginla raise the cup would be a truly beautiful sight and I’d be onboard with giving that a chance to play out...no matter how slim the odds are.

Well said. Plus if there’s one more thing this team could use... it’s more energy from the crowd at the dome. Feels like fans are waiting for something to happen before they get loud on home ice. During the 2004-2009 years, the crowd was crazy from start to finish. Iginla would have this city buzzing more than any player available to bring in at this point... at least to start the season. And a strong, confident start to the season is so important for this team.

Buy out Brouwer and give iginla one more shot! The fans will love it! And I think he still has something left. Put him on the left side of the powerplay and let him bomb shots all day getting feeds from Johnny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #39
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's still got stuff in his basement that he needs to clear out. It's not done until he says he's done. If Iggy does a Chelios or Gordie Howe, that's great! I really do hope he retires with that one elusive thing - the Cup with his name on it.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #40
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
He'd be our best player on our 4th line.
He'd be better than Bennett on most nights!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote