Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #61
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife's been hinting we need a new GOOD set of pots and pans. I know nothing about it, but was thinking of getting her a set for Christmas. What do you foodies think of this for quality/price?

https://www.thebay.com/product/anolo...TAINLESS_STEEL

edit..actually, I just realized The Bay has quite a few sets for what looks like a good price, today only. If someone could tell me which one to buy there that's maybe under $500, that'd be even better!

Last edited by Buzzard; 12-09-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #62
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Bump are there any good deals out there for Boxing Week?
Old 12-27-2020, 09:20 PM   #63
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Not sure about the Canadian Tire in your area, but the one in my small town in B.C. has had crazy deals on pots and pans for at least a couple weeks now. Like 75-80% or so off. We would have bought more than the 2 we got but we just don't need any more. We were there today and still saw some unreal deals.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #64
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Not sure about the Canadian Tire in your area, but the one in my small town in B.C. has had crazy deals on pots and pans for at least a couple weeks now. Like 75-80% or so off. We would have bought more than the 2 we got but we just don't need any more. We were there today and still saw some unreal deals.
Just remember that 70-90% off is basically Canadian Tire’s sales model. “$600 socket set, now $60!” - actually a $60 socket set

A lot of stuff is also made specifically for CT and is lower quality than the same brand’s product sold elsewhere.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morgin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #65
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

With all the talk about Carbon Steel, I decided to look up some pans on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Seasone...005U93RYW?th=1

This review pretty much sold it for me:

NSFW!
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 09:49 PM   #66
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My parents gave my wife a couple De Buyer carbon steel pans for Christmas. So far they are pretty great. Bit of an adjustment only washing them off with hot water to ensure the seasoning stays in place, but they are very nice. Certainly seem well made.

Pretty sure they are these...

https://www.amazon.ca/Buyer-22303-Mi...s%2C220&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.ca/Buyer-Mineral-...s%2C220&sr=8-6
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:05 PM   #67
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
My parents gave my wife a couple De Buyer carbon steel pans for Christmas. So far they are pretty great. Bit of an adjustment only washing them off with hot water to ensure the seasoning stays in place, but they are very nice. Certainly seem well made.

Pretty sure they are these...

https://www.amazon.ca/Buyer-22303-Mi...s%2C220&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.ca/Buyer-Mineral-...s%2C220&sr=8-6

Don’t be afraid to use soap. Written about cast iron but applies to carbon steel seasoning.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/...cast-iron.html

Quote:
Myth #4: "You should NEVER wash your cast iron pan with soap."
The Theory: Seasoning is a thin layer of oil that coats the inside of your skillet. Soap is designed to remove oil, therefore soap will damage your seasoning.

Washing cast iron skillet with sponge and soapy water
The Reality: Seasoning is actually not a thin layer of oil, it's a thin layer of polymerized oil, a key distinction. In a properly seasoned cast iron pan, one that has been rubbed with oil and heated repeatedly, the oil has already broken down into a plastic-like substance that has bonded to the surface of the metal. This is what gives well-seasoned cast iron its non-stick properties, and as the material is no longer actually an oil, the surfactants in dish soap should not affect it. Go ahead and soap it up and scrub it out.

The one thing you shouldn't do? Let it soak in the sink. Try to minimize the time it takes from when you start cleaning to when you dry and re-season your pan. If that means letting it sit on the stovetop until dinner is done, so be it
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 12:24 AM   #68
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Don’t be afraid to use soap. Written about cast iron but applies to carbon steel seasoning.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/...cast-iron.html
Interesting, the sites I had read suggested only using hot water. Sounds like a layer of oil after cleaning is a good idea too.

Will have to try this out. Thanks.
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:34 AM   #69
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Interesting, the sites I had read suggested only using hot water. Sounds like a layer of oil after cleaning is a good idea too.

Will have to try this out. Thanks.

My pleasure. Kenji Lopez Alt is great, lots of writings relating science to cooking. I find his work illuminating

A layer of oil, shortening, or lard after cleaning is what I try to do reasonably often. Once every few times. I find that if you put in the effort once to get a good initial seasoning, it is very forgiving. Even have done the odd soaking for 20-30 min here and there. These things aren’t delicate flowers.

And recently I did a full reseasoning of a ~15 year old cast iron. Should be good for several years
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #70
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Best place for pots and pans

I was eyeing this Costco set yesterday, mimics a set of all-clad we bought for a bunch more years ago. Without researching I wouldn’t be surprised if it actually is All-Clad.

I’d buy this in a second if we needed a new set. Good price, risk free Costco return policy.

https://www.costco.ca/kirkland-signa...100529551.html

Last edited by Ace; 12-31-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:33 AM   #71
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was eyeing these up yesterday, and just saw they were on sale $100 off today, so pulled the trigger.

https://www.costco.ca/henckels-realc...100705225.html

I like that they have the fully encapsulate design, and 5 ply.

The US site has plenty of reviews, at it sells for $349 US, so I figure $300 CAD is a good deal:
https://www.costco.com/henckels-real...100688785.html
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #72
yycguy1
Draft Pick

I used to swear by all clad and slap people that even suggested different! Now I buy my non stick pans from kitchen supply stores and they are Vollrath. The non stick is as good or better that All clad. Pots are pots, still have my all clad for that.
yycguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #73
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yycguy1 View Post
I used to swear by all clad and slap people that even suggested different! Now I buy my non stick pans from kitchen supply stores and they are Vollrath. The non stick is as good or better that All clad. Pots are pots, still have my all clad for that.

I haven’t heard of Vollrath

So I googled it and this link came up
https://kitchenfold.com/cookware/vol...okware-review/

Quote:
This is one of Vollrath’s more economical sets. Well designed for use in the average home kitchen.

It is not a high-end set, but despite this, it is NSFW certified and is an excellent value for the price you pay.
Just curious what exactly you like most about the Vollrath line
Old 07-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #74
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump.

On the recommendation of many I bought a cast iron pan and if it isn’t the toughest thing to clean. No matter how much oil I use I am constantly getting burnt food on the pan that I can’t remove without using water and soap or salt and having to re-season.

Any tips?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #75
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

Any tips?
Take it to scrap metal and buy a granite coated pan.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:58 PM   #76
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Bump.

On the recommendation of many I bought a cast iron pan and if it isn’t the toughest thing to clean. No matter how much oil I use I am constantly getting burnt food on the pan that I can’t remove without using water and soap or salt and having to re-season.

Any tips?
Is it well seasoned? I just use hot water and a plastic bristle brush… takes me seconds. And I don’t even add oil to cook with very often.

But I clean then hand dry it every time. The “never wash the pan” #### is nonsense.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #77
Sert
Draft Pick

Quote:
Bump.

Any tips?

perhaps try giving the pan/oil a bit longer to heat up before you add your food, and then cooking at a slightly lower temperature than you'd normally use? I've find cast iron takes a bit longer than you'd think to heat up to temperature, but then retains heat more than you'd expect
Sert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:39 PM   #78
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Bump.

Any tips?
That burnt on food is called seasoning and is one of the reasons things taste so good after being cooked in cast iron. It is something that takes a bit of getting used to when one's been used to stainless, teflon or aluminum pans that get scrubbed impeccably.

After cooking something especially greasy I'll put the pan back on the stove after it has cooled with some water and then bring it to a boil. I've a square tipped butter knife that I'll work any larger chunks off with and then empty, rinse and dry with paper towel.

Some people like chain mail scrubbers to clean their cast iron as it leaves the seasoning intact.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #79
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Burnt food isn’t seasoning.

Seasoning is polymerized oil.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 09:54 PM   #80
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I have a Lodge cast iron pan and I season it each time I clean it. I just use dish soap and water and one of those stainless steel scrubbies, works good.

Once it's all cleaned I'll dry it off with a cloth and put a bit of canola oil in the pan and wipe it all around with a separate cloth and that's the seasoning part. Put it back on the stove until the next time I use it.

I also never turn the heat up more than medium on the stove to get it hot and will just use a little bit of oil when cooking.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macman For This Useful Post: