Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default WTF Apple?!

God, I really feel kinda bad for making people troubleshoot my stuff for me. Here's the deal today. Bought an AirPort Extreme, and I hooked my external hard drive up to it so I can access my music through my computer anywhere in the house. Damn computer won't find the hard drive though. So what's the effing deal? Did I set up the base station wrong or what?

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's what you get for buying Apple. You should have just bought a Linksys product instead. They just work.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
That's what you get for buying Apple. You should have just bought a Linksys product instead. They just work.

To set up iDisk open Airport Utility and go to the disc section, and it should be listed. What is the drive formatted as? Hook it up to your computer, if Finder recognizes it it should work perfectly with AirDisk.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

You probably want to leave it on a computer compared to an XHD. The new iTunes has home sharing...I'd go that route and leave the XHD for a Time Machine backup. If you need to order a larger HD, use OWC.

Here's the website:
http://www.macsales.com/
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post

To set up iDisk open Airport Utility and go to the disc section, and it should be listed. What is the drive formatted as? Hook it up to your computer, if Finder recognizes it it should work perfectly with AirDisk.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the disks aren't shared by default, you have to turn on sharing and set either a password or user accounts (or guest access)

FAT32 and HFS+ are the only formats its gonna work with, and of the two, I'd trust HFS+ more, because its journaled and should be resistant to corruption if the AEBS looses power or whatever
Old 09-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
For 8 to 12 months at a time
Old 09-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't really wanna leave all my music on my laptop though being as I've got what seems to be a million songs that would take up a piss ton of room on my internal drive, which I don't really wanna do.

Anyways, I plugged it into my computer, and it recognized it right away. I must not be seeing what I need to see in that effing Utility.

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Old 09-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They just work.
Yeah, I get pretty sick of hearing that from Apple die hards.

My coworker was tickled pink about her new Mac and how everything just works. Every chance she gets to put down anyone who buys a PC she does.

We work in a small office and all follow Fringe, but all missed the first episode of the new season.

I downloaded/burned it for everyone and guess who couldn't get it to work on her computer.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's listed when I go to the utility, but it doesn't seem to show up on my screen anywhere if I look for it. Do I need to change some other preferences or something on my computer?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This has nothing to do with your problem but when my iPod broke, which is still minorly broken (the headphones doc), they said to reset the iPod. I then paid $40 to send it to Apple so they could fix it, all they did was re-set it, something which I did 4 times before I sent it in. Then I got it back and it was still broken, when I phoned, they told me to re-set it, and then send it in. Just thought I would rant about Apple being stupid, and their products not working.

Relating to this thread, it might be a problem on the computer end (I don't even know what a AirPort Extreme is though). But it sounds like your trying to stream your music from this AirPort thing to your computer anywhere in your house. I know when I was trying to set up my xbox and my computer (so I could stream onto my tv), it took me ages for my computer to find my xbox.

Again, I am not sure what your talking about, but check your computer settings. Media sharing is what I had to change, I assume it is the same for you as well. This shows my xbox, bro's xbox, mom's computer, bro's computer (with access to the Harddrives).
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
This has nothing to do with your problem but when my iPod broke, which is still minorly broken (the headphones doc), they said to reset the iPod. I then paid $40 to send it to Apple so they could fix it, all they did was re-set it, something which I did 4 times before I sent it in. Then I got it back and it was still broken, when I phoned, they told me to re-set it, and then send it in. Just thought I would rant about Apple being stupid, and their products not working.

Relating to this thread, it might be a problem on the computer end (I don't even know what a AirPort Extreme is though). But it sounds like your trying to stream your music from this AirPort thing to your computer anywhere in your house. I know when I was trying to set up my xbox and my computer (so I could stream onto my tv), it took me ages for my computer to find my xbox.

Again, I am not sure what your talking about, but check your computer settings. Media sharing is what I had to change, I assume it is the same for you as well. This shows my xbox, bro's xbox, mom's computer, bro's computer (with access to the Harddrives).
The AirPort is an Apple router. I had a...Linxsys I think, but hard drive sharing only worked for PC's, and I've got me a MBP. So I had to go buy this thing, and it's making me want to shoot people in the face.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
For 8 to 12 months at a time
My post wasn't meant to be a endorsement of Linksys but rather a jab at the Apple fanboys on this forum who come into every PC tech support thread and contribute nothing to the discussion other than telling the original poster that he or she should have purchased a Mac instead.

Deegee got the joke.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger_4_ View Post
The AirPort is an Apple router. I had a...Linxsys I think, but hard drive sharing only worked for PC's, and I've got me a MBP. So I had to go buy this thing, and it's making me want to shoot people in the face.
Apple sure has a monopoly with use of its products. You need their products or your hooped.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I said, you cannot add music to your itunes library over a wireless XHD. It's way too demanding of a program to base it wirelessly.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger_4_ View Post
God, I really feel kinda bad for making people troubleshoot my stuff for me. Here's the deal today. Bought an AirPort Extreme, and I hooked my external hard drive up to it so I can access my music through my computer anywhere in the house. Damn computer won't find the hard drive though. So what's the effing deal? Did I set up the base station wrong or what?
Ugh...

I just did this last week and it was just an enormous pain in the arse. Check the following link, it helped me a little bit, but it took checking a bunch of other sites and tons of monkeying around with things to finally get it to work. the worst part is, it started working without me knowing exactly how I got it to work, so there's probably no chance in hell I could do it again.

http://www.macworldcanada.ca/news/he...1272/pg001.htm

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
As I said, you cannot add music to your itunes library over a wireless XHD. It's way too demanding of a program to base it wirelessly.
Actually my media is all centralized and multiple computers use it as the Library over wireless N, and it works perfect. (All computers + router are Wireless N)
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
I downloaded/burned it for everyone and guess who couldn't get it to work on her computer.
She obviously isn't that mac literate then. Hell even internet literate, a quick google search and she'd be laughing.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #18
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My post wasn't meant to be a endorsement of Linksys but rather a jab at the Apple fanboys on this forum who come into every PC tech support thread and contribute nothing to the discussion other than telling the original poster that he or she should have purchased a Mac instead.

Deegee got the joke.
Even more annoying is the non Apple fanboys coming into every Apple tech support thread and contribute nothing to the discussion other than to make an unfunny reference to Apple fanboys saying they should have purchased a Mac in every PC tech support forums.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well before this degenerates into the usual pissing match, I think I got it. I have no idea how I did but I think it'll work...I just have to re-import all my music...so that's kind of a bitch being as I've got 40 gigs of the stuff to deal with.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Deegee got the joke.
I got it too, don't worry. Your humor "just works"

Tags
haha stupid oilers , oilers suck , technology sucks