Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2023, 12:30 PM   #5321
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sincerely hope there is no election until after some resolution to this and some clarity. The last thing Canada needs is an election that ends up with results called into question and having the process itself politicized as we've seen down south.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 12:43 PM   #5322
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The only reason Trudeau has for all the things he is doing is he is trying to hide something massive.

He is making political Russian roulette at this point to see who blinks first, and is openly mocking the NDP while doing so.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 02:54 PM   #5323
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Globe and Mail piece written anonymously by the National Security Officer who leaked about the election interference.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-interference/

Quote:
When I joined the public service many years ago, I swore an oath.
Not to party or to person, but to my country, to its democratic institutions and to my fellow Canadians.
When I first became aware of the significance of the threat posed by outside interference to our democratic institutions, I worked – as have many unnamed and tireless colleagues – to equip our leaders with the knowledge and the tools needed to take action against it.
Months passed, and then years. The threat grew in urgency; serious action remained unforthcoming. I endeavored, alone and with others, to raise concerns about this threat directly to those in a position to hold our top officials to account. Regrettably, those individuals were unable to do so.
Quote:
In the time that passed, another federal election had come and gone, the threat of interference had grown, and it had become increasingly clear that no serious action was being considered. Worse still, evidence of senior public officials ignoring interference was beginning to mount.
Despite these concerns, the decision to discuss this threat with Canadian journalists was not an easy one. In this line of work, the question of whether or not to blow the whistle rarely arrives unaccompanied by other ones. I asked myself: Can I do this while mitigating the risk to our country’s sources and methods? Will this mean the end of my career? Who will take care of my family if I go to prison?
For me, the answer to these questions was found in weighing them against the public interest.
I hold no personal complaint against our political leaders, against our national security community or against the Liberal Party. Indeed, I have voted for the latter in past elections and hope to be able to do so again one day. Neither was my decision taken out of any special animus toward the government of the People’s Republic of China, despite its driving involvement in these affairs.
Instead, I hoped that by providing the public with information I believe to be in the interest of all Canadians, we as a country would begin a much deeper conversation about what it is that we expect of our government. I hoped that we could launch a conversation about how to improve transparency, how to enhance accountability, how to protect all members of our society against external threats, and ultimately, about how we continue to pursue a system of governance that best serves all of its citizens.

While I still believe that conversation to be necessary, it has unfortunately become marked by ugliness and division.
So let me be clear: as troubling as the revelations we have seen are, I do not believe that foreign interference dictated the present composition of our federal government. Nor do I believe that any of our elected leaders is a traitor to our country. Nonetheless, the growing impact of foreign interference on our ability to enjoy a free and fair political process is undeniable.
Quote:
Will these revelations give some Canadians cause to question the integrity of our democratic institutions and processes? Yes, they well might. But preserving the alternative – that Canadians remain unaware of the risks to those institutions – would be to deprive them of the ability to participate in our democratic processes with meaningful agency. Moreover, it would be to brush aside the experiences of many Canadian members of diaspora communities who have long been unable to express their political voices freely and unfettered by the threat of foreign intervention or reprisal. Indeed, I urge you to listen to those courageous Canadians who are willing and able to share their experiences in this regard.
With that said, we must all recognize that this is not a partisan issue. Nor is this a China issue. Your fellow progressive Canadians, your fellow conservative Canadians, and your fellow Chinese Canadians are all just that: Canadians. In having this conversation, we must resist the reflex to reduce the challenge that faces us to one of us versus them. We must recognize that protecting our civic values should not, need not and cannot come at the cost of abandoning our commitment to diversity and multiculturalism. We must come together as a national community and ask ourselves how we can do better – this time, the next time, and all the times that follow.
On the question of what happens next for me, I have little to say but this: if and when the time comes, I will take my lumps for my part in this. I will do so without resentment or regret, knowing that while what I have done may be unlawful, I cannot say that it was wrong.
Quote:
I say this because I was raised to believe that integrity is the act of weighing your actions against your principles, not against what is convenient or expedient. And here my principles remain firmly tied to those words in my oath: I will serve my country, I will serve the democratic institutions on which it is founded and I will most certainly serve my fellow Canadians.
I am not the first in our public service to have grappled with such an unenviable ethical dilemma in recent years. Not so long ago, our former justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould faced one that was even more acute, given what she stood to lose.
I worry, however, that we may be running short on individuals willing and able to risk the consequences of standing by their principles. So to my fellow Canadians: If you can, please work together to ensure that we are among the last public servants that will ever feel compelled to take that risk.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 03:36 PM   #5324
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1636807863615012874

https://twitter.com/user/status/1637031338338312192

Last edited by Yoho; 03-18-2023 at 04:39 AM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 03:41 PM   #5325
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Globe and Mail piece written anonymously by the National Security Officer who leaked about the election interference.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-interference/
It is definitely a time that requires some 'country before party' behavior from all party leaders, and not working out that way so far.

Old 03-17-2023, 04:30 PM   #5326
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting interview.

Old 03-17-2023, 04:58 PM   #5327
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Won’t be hard to figure out which CSIS agents interviewed the mayor regarding “sending info up the chain”

Cant imagine the ants nest this has stirred up at the agency.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:48 PM   #5328
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This piece will likely lead to the whistle blower being caught, but he knew in releasing the information that he was going to and was willing to pay the price. With a Liberal government that has been willing to mess with the courts, this guy will likely be put away for life with no parole.

Old 03-17-2023, 06:16 PM   #5329
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

That assumes the guy isn't smart enough to throw in some false leads pointing away from himself. Then again maybe not.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:19 PM   #5330
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
That assumes the guy isn't smart enough to throw in some false leads pointing away from himself. Then again maybe not.
Hopefully he/she has pulled a Snowden and is quite a distance away from Canada already.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:16 PM   #5331
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Sorry, to be clear, your view is that having people disposed to be favourable to Chinese interests in Vancouver city hall isn't important and the only reason to do it is that those people might later on move to provincial or federal politics? Is that what you're suggesting? Because if so, that is incredibly naive, especially considering the lower mainland's real estate reality and demographics.

What is the benefit to China the country having some councillor in Vancouver on the payroll?

Maybe I'll pay off a councillor to reap the benefits.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:27 PM   #5332
Hyde
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Johnston is not investigating JT. He's investigating how China interfered in our elections. The accused so far are Han Dong (L-MP) and Vincent Ke (C-MPP) from the same riding. Also, Sarah Fischer's riding - you know - from PP's office.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:26 AM   #5333
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1637062785430323200
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 08:22 AM   #5334
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Johnston is not investigating JT. He's investigating how China interfered in our elections. The accused so far are Han Dong (L-MP) and Vincent Ke (C-MPP) from the same riding. Also, Sarah Fischer's riding - you know - from PP's office.
I’m not sure what your point is.

The issue is that he sat on the board of an organization that is alleged to be involved in the election manipulation that recently returned money that may have been for election manipulation.

That is a conflict of interest.

The conflict can be clearly stated without names or political parties. This is an appearance of conflict on an issue where none can exist.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:33 AM   #5335
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When Justin finally realizes the gig is up he will look for another road kill patsy for plausible deniability.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1636893922176692231
Old 03-18-2023, 12:58 PM   #5336
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This piece will likely lead to the whistle blower being caught, but he knew in releasing the information that he was going to and was willing to pay the price. With a Liberal government that has been willing to mess with the courts, this guy will likely be put away for life with no parole.
When did the government mess with the courts?
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:52 PM   #5337
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
When did the government mess with the courts?
SNC Lavelin
Mark Norman
Dany Fortin

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 03:21 PM   #5338
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Interesting interview.

Everyone should at least listen to 9:15 onward. Its the coles notes of what is going on and what is at stake.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:17 PM   #5339
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
SNC Lavelin
Mark Norman
Dany Fortin
You think prosecutors are the courts? You think the Liberals told the prosecutors not to prosecute Norman? As for Fortin, discovery at a civil trial will be interesting for all parties.

Although I would expect you to conflate Fortin being not guilty because the Crown failed to prove beyong a reasonable doubt that he sexually assaulted a woman when he said he did not and she said he did with some sort of sinister plot to interfere with the court system.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 03-18-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 05:29 PM   #5340
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Everyone should at least listen to 9:15 onward. Its the coles notes of what is going on and what is at stake.
You have the admit, its almost as though they picked an ideal moment where Canadians are at peak 'Scandal Fatigue.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote