Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2023, 03:08 PM   #4341
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I believe there has been a noticeable shift in voter sentiment across the country in the past 6 months. I think voters are gradually realizing how the actions of the Government are starting to affect them personally. For example:

1. Government overspending leading to a rise in inflation and interest rates, even noted by those formerly on the inside e.g. Morneau

2. Economic disincentives e.g. over taxation, burdening regulation, slow and inefficient government, all acting to stifle resource development, and contributing to our brain drain.

3. Our ballooning debt

4. Our collapsing healthcare and need for change and increased spending

5. The poor state of our armed forces

6. Government inefficiency e.g. acquiring passports, border policies, etc.

7. Corruption and gross overuse of consultants with probable conflicts of interest

8. Our decreasing standing as a country, as it relates to many issues e.g. corruption, investment opportunity, healthcare, etc.

9. The arrogant, virtue signaling, ideologically bent, grossly inefficient leadership
It feels like a lot of these are just made up since you don't like Trudeau.

We'll see whenever the next election is called but it feels like status quo to me right now. If the Cons actually picked a good leader I think you'd actually see a noticeable shift, but PP isn't going to move the needle much at all, if any.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 03:08 PM   #4342
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Is Pierre gonna fix all that?
You bet
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:12 PM   #4343
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You bet
Credit where it’s due, at least you’re not trying to hide anything.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:13 PM   #4344
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of those things have been happening for over a decade, I hate Trudeau but seems lazy to blame him for that.

If an election happened tomorrow I'd probably vote NDP (Unless my local rep turns out to be an idiot). I'm not necessarily buying everything they're selling, but the Liberals and Conservatives have both proven they're incapable of governing
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 03:13 PM   #4345
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe there has been a noticeable shift in voter sentiment across the country in the past 6 months. I think voters are gradually realizing how the actions of the Government are starting to affect them personally. For example:

1. Government overspending leading to a rise in inflation and interest rates, even noted by those formerly on the inside e.g. Morneau

2. Economic disincentives e.g. over taxation, burdening regulation, slow and inefficient government, all acting to stifle resource development, and contributing to our brain drain.

3. Our ballooning debt

7. Corruption and gross overuse of consultants with probable conflicts of interest

8. Our decreasing standing as a country, as it relates to many issues e.g. corruption, investment opportunity, healthcare, etc.

9. The arrogant, virtue signaling, ideologically bent, grossly inefficient leadership
Number 1 hasn’t shown to be really true but I agree it is driving perception. However because this inflation isn’t based in government policy it’s going to be back down to 3% or less over the next six months so the government likely gets credit for fighting it.

2) I always laugh at over taxation when in a list with not enough services. The Resources discussion is really only an Alberta centric thing which has no affect federally.

3) no one cares about debt anymore
4) the health care issue could sink governments and is a difficult one to solve as you have a jurisdictional battle between the Feds and provinces

5) no one cares about the armed forces
6) this is an issue that is solving itself with time. The passport travel issue from last year has mostly been mitigated and will be by the time of a next election so I suspect it’s one of the issues that will be framed as the government solving.

7) I think this issue never seems to have legs, it should be disqualifying but no one cares anymore

8) do you have references to our decreased standing in the world? I think we have always ranked about the same spot by those indicators and just the perception is Canada is better then it is. Has it moved recently?

9) agree it’s frustrating and the culture war conservatives will try to frame the election around this to deflect from the policy side.

Overall though I think the next 6 months will see things look better for the liberals. The one thing that could improve the cons right now is if we go into a deep recession. If the US banks don’t stick the soft landing then the conservatives will gain off the economic damage. Without a recession the NDP vote slips back to the libs in key ridings and we go back with a minority government.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 03:14 PM   #4346
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You bet
LOL.

He is going to need a very very long 2X4 to reach out to the NDP with his at best minority gov't.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:14 PM   #4347
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
It feels like a lot of these are just made up since you don't like Trudeau.

We'll see whenever the next election is called but it feels like status quo to me right now. If the Cons actually picked a good leader I think you'd actually see a noticeable shift, but PP isn't going to move the needle much at all, if any.
As if spending more on military is going to help anything.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:15 PM   #4348
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
LOL.

He is going to need a very very long 2X4 to reach out to the NDP with his at best minority gov't.
After the election of its a minority then the liberals regardless of how many seats they have would be the first to try to form government. So the cons don’t even get the first opportunity.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:18 PM   #4349
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
After the election of its a minority then the liberals regardless of how many seats they have would be the first to try to form government. So the cons don’t even get the first opportunity.
once the lib attack ads hits the deplorable over the head, it will be a majority gov't for the Libs. Pierre is such a terrible politician, he makes Scheerasaurus and The Tool look good.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:32 PM   #4350
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
once the lib attack ads hits the deplorable over the head, it will be a majority gov't for the Libs. Pierre is such a terrible politician, he makes Scheerasaurus and The Tool look good.
Crushing the Cons doesn’t lead to a majority. They need the Bloc to fall off to expand the Quebec seats. Beating the cons more or less maintains status quo.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:34 PM   #4351
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

3. Our ballooning debt

You can add to this.

10. A government that can't even effectively spend the taxpayer money they ARE allocating to specific things.
Quote:
The Canada Infrastructure Bank is unlikely to spend even half its $35-billion budget over its 11-year mandate despite government pledges to get the cash flowing to new green projects, warns Parliamentary Budget Officer Yves Giroux in a new report.

The independent spending watchdog reached his conclusion by reviewing the bank’s latest announcements and comparing its track record with those of similar bodies, such as Infrastructure Ontario and the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec.

The federal government created the bank in 2017 with a mandate to provide funding that encourages large institutional investors to partner with governments in building infrastructure projects that generate revenue and are in the public interest.

After widespread criticism of the bank’s initial lack of progress, the government approved leadership changes last year and a new “growth plan” to spend at least $10-billion over three years, primarily on environmental projects.

Wednesday’s PBO report says the new plan will not resolve concerns that money is not finding its way to specific projects.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ts-35-billion/

In contrast, the US is trending towards $100 billion in investment since they passed the inflation reduction act to get more companies to invest in green energy IN the US.

Pretty pathetic when our government is allocating funds towards projects and is so incompetent they can't even spend it properly.

Now lets sit back for all the incoming Liberal supporters to make their excuses.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 03:36 PM   #4352
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Number 1 hasn’t shown to be really true but I agree it is driving perception. However because this inflation isn’t based in government policy it’s going to be back down to 3% or less over the next six months so the government likely gets credit for fighting it.

2) I always laugh at over taxation when in a list with not enough services. The Resources discussion is really only an Alberta centric thing which has no affect federally.

4) the health care issue could sink governments and is a difficult one to solve as you have a jurisdictional battle between the Feds and provinces

6) this is an issue that is solving itself with time. The passport travel issue from last year has mostly been mitigated and will be by the time of a next election so I suspect it’s one of the issues that will be framed as the government solving.

7) I think this issue never seems to have legs, it should be disqualifying but no one cares anymore

8) do you have references to our decreased standing in the world? I think we have always ranked about the same spot by those indicators and just the perception is Canada is better then it is. Has it moved recently?

9) agree it’s frustrating and the culture war conservatives will try to frame the election around this to deflect from the policy side.

Overall though I think the next 6 months will see things look better for the liberals. The one thing that could improve the cons right now is if we go into a deep recession. If the US banks don’t stick the soft landing then the conservatives will gain off the economic damage. Without a recession the NDP vote slips back to the libs in key ridings and we go back with a minority government.
No one cares about debt?

I mean you'd think its true, but then you realize things have really gone to #### when the Liberal Government is openly saying high interest rates and the debt load is creating issues with how the government can spend money, and fiscal restraint will be needed.

Nobody has said that in years.

So yeah, I think they do care.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 03:49 PM   #4353
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
No one cares about debt?

I mean you'd think its true, but then you realize things have really gone to #### when the Liberal Government is openly saying high interest rates and the debt load is creating issues with how the government can spend money, and fiscal restraint will be needed.

Nobody has said that in years.

So yeah, I think they do care.
The last time debt was dealt with as an election issue Provinces were on the verge of default. When I say “don’t care”. I mean will not be a defining issue in the election. With inflation coming down and interest rates likely peaking we are at the worst point of the debt cycle. So without a significant recession to drive GDP down and debt to gdp up I’d argue it continues to be a non-issue electorally

Whether that’s intelligent is a separate discussion.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:52 PM   #4354
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Corruption - Canada sliipped from 11th to 13th. They fell out of the top 10 in 2019

Healthcare - Of the top 10 wealthy countries Canada is rated 10th

Global Competitiveness
Canada recently slipped from 14th to 15th
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:55 PM   #4355
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Corruption - Canada sliipped from 11th to 13th. They fell out of the top 10 in 2019

Global Competitiveness

Wow... Humongous losses here.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 04:06 PM   #4356
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Wow... Humongous losses here.
Maybe not huge losses. But losses none the less. We should not be ok with “small” losses. We have the resources, we have great people here, we should be climbing in every category every year.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:13 PM   #4357
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Maybe not huge losses. But losses none the less. We should not be ok with “small” losses. We have the resources, we have great people here, we should be climbing in every category every year.
So let's see the list... Which country is #1?

I'm willing to bet that whichever country it is, the CPC will not help lead us to that number one spot. Primarily because that ideals of that #1 country are antithetical to the ideals of the CPC.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:36 PM   #4358
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Global Competitiveness
Health care we have been typically ahead of the US but behind everyone else so that isn’t new. Corruption I think is where you can argue there as been meaningful change, global competitiveness appears unchanged.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:37 PM   #4359
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
The argument was the losses were noticeable enough to affect electoral sentiment. I don’t think the data shows that.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:39 PM   #4360
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe you should tell the provinces (conservative ones - Ontario - especially) to spend the money they have
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote