Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2022, 04:15 AM   #2041
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Could you please let us know the 'hate and safety threats' that led to the journalists being banned yesterday. Be specific. Thanks.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 04:42 AM   #2042
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's pretty funny when you remember how the super bombshell Twitter Files (lol) were supposed to show how the people there suppressed free speech. Of course, not everything was gold there, but at least there were gremiums and teams that discussed matters and eventually made decisions based on that. Now you just have impulsive Space Karen who randomly changes the rules based on his mood and bans respected journalists just because they point to the (completely legal) flight tracker being available on other platforms.

it's his platform, so he can do whatever he wants. But if you paint yourself as the savior of free speech (and let's face it, Space Karen never cared about free speech in the first place) and then turn Twitter into that version, you don't get to be all Pikachu face when people criticize you while your advertisers leave.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:40 AM   #2043
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Twit Daddy breaks his toddler toys because he doesn't like getting scolded by adults

https://twitter.com/user/status/1603715899504074753
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:44 AM   #2044
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I do find it pretty funny that people have been storming off Twitter because of things like the banning of parody accounts and restrictions on doxxing, but then the mstdn.ca ToS outlaw both parody accounts and doxxing.
Nobody is mad because doxxing isn’t allowed. No idea where you got that from. And parody accounts are only an issue because of the whole checkmark fiasco.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 06:51 AM   #2045
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This journalist does a deep dive into Elon Musks educational history, only to find out Musk has no degree in Physics, but rather a BSc in Economics. Musk also never went to Stanford as a PhD student, and received two degrees in 1997, with one belonging to no department. He never received a degree in 1994 and 1995 like he claimed.

https://archive.ph/2022.11.17-194425...bDEUbPrShY8CKg

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 12-16-2022 at 07:01 AM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:14 AM   #2046
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do I have a feeling there's going to be a popular movie one day detailing the spectacular rise and fall of Elon Musk?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 07:28 AM   #2047
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I do find it pretty funny that people have been storming off Twitter because of things like the banning of parody accounts and restrictions on doxxing, but then the mstdn.ca ToS outlaw both parody accounts and doxxing.
Because Musk has claimed over and over that he is a free speech absolutionist. Anything goes. But now that he has the levers, he's silencing anyone who criticizes him. You don't see that as troublesome? Mastadon hasn't pretended to be what Musk proclaimed he would make Twitter, so there isn't really a comparison to be made.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:36 AM   #2048
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:
Default Twitter teetering on transaction? - UPDATE: Board agrees to sell Twitter to Musk

Quote:

I think he means:

“Hate and safety threats” that affect Elon.

And not that they’re any real threats anyway. He’s a narcissistic maniac.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:43 AM   #2049
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

For those of you looking for an alternative, Mastadon is good, but the creator of Bot Sentinel - one of the best machine learning platforms out there for finding and categorizing hate and misinformation content on Twitter - is creating a new platform called Spoutible.

I use Bot Sentinel to flag Twitter accounts that are disruptive and downright hateful. It is very good at letting you visually filter through crappy bots, trolls, and compromised accounts that are looking to give dialogue a bad time.

There might be a few imitators and alternatives coming down the pipeline, but Chris Bouzy is a fantastic tech entrepreneur with a good head on his shoulders and actually has morals. I would suggest at least trying the beta version coming soon and giving it a whirl for yourself when its ready.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1603663275471798273
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 07:47 AM   #2050
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

And...Twitter ban incoming for Bouzy.

I wonder if Musk banning competitors will extend to his other businesses. Ban all the car companies, can't have them gettnig free adverting! He should be consistent.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:48 AM   #2051
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Pfft...peasant. I'm going to follow his private jet around in my own private jet!

Now....who wants to help me start a GoFundMe for a private jet? Gonna need some jet fuel too...apparently that stuff ain't cheap.
Pretty sure if you want to crowd fund a private jet, you just need to become an evangelical preacher.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 08:08 AM   #2052
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Twit Daddy breaks his toddler toys because he doesn't like getting scolded by adults

https://twitter.com/user/status/1603715899504074753
Just tried to tune into a Spaces this morning; can confirm it's still broken as hell because Musk has the constitution of a leprosy-addled hemophiliac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:08 AM   #2053
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am surprised Musk hasn’t called for the banning of his ex, Justine. She is always great at clapping back at his stupid comments and embellishments.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #2054
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
For those of you looking for an alternative, Mastadon is good, but the creator of Bot Sentinel - one of the best machine learning platforms out there for finding and categorizing hate and misinformation content on Twitter - is creating a new platform called Spoutible.

I use Bot Sentinel to flag Twitter accounts that are disruptive and downright hateful. It is very good at letting you visually filter through crappy bots, trolls, and compromised accounts that are looking to give dialogue a bad time.

There might be a few imitators and alternatives coming down the pipeline, but Chris Bouzy is a fantastic tech entrepreneur with a good head on his shoulders and actually has morals. I would suggest at least trying the beta version coming soon and giving it a whirl for yourself when its ready.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1603663275471798273
Signed up for the beta as soon as Bouzy posted the link. I think it's going to be a good platform.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 08:27 AM   #2055
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious what the value of Twitter is now. He paid $44 billion at $54.20 a share, but everyone knows that was a big spread on what it was worth, which was probably around $30 a share when he bought it. So at $30, that's about $24 billion. His antics would have driven any publicly traded company down by, what, half? So now it's maybe $12 billion? I'd be curious to see a professional's opinion on what it is worth now.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:44 AM   #2056
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sacks bang on as usual.
Sacks is a piece of ####, which explains why you have an affinity to him. Anyone who is friends with or a supporter of Peter Thiel is pretty much the lowest scum imaginable, but then supporting the likes of other "venture capitailists" like JD Vance and Blake Masters, that makes you someone that should be removed from the gene pool so your kind doesn't procreate and doom our species to extinction.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 08:50 AM   #2057
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

This is the entertainment we've been lacking since Trump (somewhat) disappeared.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 08:55 AM   #2058
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
This is the entertainment we've been lacking since Trump (somewhat) disappeared.
This is way more fun because Elon is tanking himself and his companies rather than Trump tanking a country.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 09:26 AM   #2059
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This is way more fun because Elon is tanking himself and his companies rather than Trump tanking a country.
Also this is just a complete losing proposition for Musk. Trump was a pure grifter and doing all of his nonsense helped his bottom line.

Musk was an uber rich/successful guy who threw a fit when the Twitter CEO pushed back on him a bit - got himself roped into buying Twitter for a ridiculous price because he was raging and is now just on a speed run of melting down.

The twitter investment was terrible from the minute it happened, but he's killing his Telsa stock and alienating a decent chunk of potential buyers just while competitors are arriving. SpaceX is basically a government funded company so getting people worried about his China connections and alienating one side of the political aisle is not wise.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 09:27 AM   #2060
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm curious what the value of Twitter is now. He paid $44 billion at $54.20 a share, but everyone knows that was a big spread on what it was worth, which was probably around $30 a share when he bought it. So at $30, that's about $24 billion. His antics would have driven any publicly traded company down by, what, half? So now it's maybe $12 billion? I'd be curious to see a professional's opinion on what it is worth now.
This article from a few weeks ago values Twitter at $20.2 billion:

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ople-world.asp
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote