Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-20-2021, 12:23 PM   #841
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Maybe this was already posted, but you can book second shots for kids now. Lots of availability still on January 21 (8 weeks since the first day they offered them).
Interestingly, AHS is allowing kids to get their second doses 3 weeks after their first, with parental consent. As is Ontario. This is different than the official NACI guidelines of 8 weeks, but consistent with Pfizer's schedule, as well as what the CDC is doing in the US.

NACI published their guidelines on November 19th, which was obviously pre-Omicron.

It is an interesting dilemma - get the second dose sooner rather than later as we brace for Omicron to slam us, perhaps at the expense of theoretical waning immunity many months from now in summer? Or stick with NACI's schedule but perhaps be less protected in a few weeks when things really go to crap here?

And of course, kids are less likely to have severe outcomes from Covid in the first place, but schools will no doubt be areas of high transmission in this 5th wave with an under-vaccinated population, close contact, etc.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #842
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Interestingly, AHS is allowing kids to get their second doses 3 weeks after their first, with parental consent. As is Ontario. This is different than the official NACI guidelines of 8 weeks, but consistent with Pfizer's schedule, as well as what the CDC is doing in the US.

NACI published their guidelines on November 19th, which was obviously pre-Omicron.

It is an interesting dilemma - get the second dose sooner rather than later as we brace for Omicron to slam us, perhaps at the expense of theoretical waning immunity many months from now in summer? Or stick with NACI's schedule but perhaps be less protected in a few weeks when things really go to crap here?

And of course, kids are less likely to have severe outcomes from Covid in the first place, but schools will no doubt be areas of high transmission in this 5th wave with an under-vaccinated population, close contact, etc.
Is this published somewhere? I did a quick google search and could only find this article about an Ontario family who were able to get their son his second shot after three weeks because of special circumstances (chronic lung disease) and after signing a waiver: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...erns-1.5710425

We were told 8 weeks till the second shot (which we unfortunately can't book yet because it's too far in advance), and had planned to wait until then. Unless recommended otherwise (i.e. that we should get it sooner and not simply that we can get it sooner), I'm inclined to wait for the full 8 weeks.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:27 PM   #843
Knut

Exp:

I wanted to get my kids a second shot 3 weeks after the first so we could travel over Christmas. We were told we have to wait 8 weeks.

We delayed our travel plans anyway.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #844
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Is this published somewhere? I did a quick google search and could only find this article about an Ontario family who were able to get their son his second shot after three weeks because of special circumstances (chronic lung disease) and after signing a waiver: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...erns-1.5710425

We were told 8 weeks till the second shot (which we unfortunately can't book yet because it's too far in advance), and had planned to wait until then. Unless recommended otherwise (i.e. that we should get it sooner and not simply that we can get it sooner), I'm inclined to wait for the full 8 weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
I wanted to get my kids a second shot 3 weeks after the first so we could travel over Christmas. We were told we have to wait 8 weeks.

We delayed our travel plans anyway.
Here is a link to a tweet from Alberta Vax Hunter quoting an official reply from AHS. The site definitely now lets you book for 3 weeks out, as well as 8 weeks out, as of at least this past weekend.

https://twitter.com/ab_vax/status/1472355015868174340

There are also some anecdotes of people having no trouble at all getting it early.

We have our son booked in for January 22nd already (8 weeks) but also were contemplating getting it done earlier in light of Omicron. Our pediatrician wouldn't commit one way or the other as long as reputable guidelines are followed (Pfizer and CDC obviously are).

It is just the 3 of us in the house, none with any high risk factors, kid wears N95 at school, and my wife and I are both boosted now too, and we are still limiting contacts. So... we're torn. But perhaps leaning toward just keeping the 8 week interval.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #845
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting... from the tweet: "a dose as early as three weeks or 21 days, can be provided for travel, immunocompromised or if a parent provides consent."

So obviously they are not recommending it for the general population (you can argue whether supply/logistics has anything to do with it), but they're not going to stand in the way if there are special circumstances or the parent insists.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #846
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boosters are being opened imminently, the Alberta Health website has been updated which I suspect is to coincide with the announcement this afternoon:

Quote:
Vaccine effectiveness against infection may decline over time – especially with the highly transmissible Omicron variant – but they remain the best way to prevent severe illness and death. Third doses can boost immunity to improve protection and limit spread.

Everyone 18 and older can get a third dose 5 months after their second dose.

Third dose for 18+
Everyone 18 and older

Eligibility: Everyone 18+ can book at least 5 months after second dose.
How to book: Book online (pharmacy or AHS clinic), call 811, or contact a physicians’ office. Clinics also available on reserve.
Vaccine: Take the first mRNA vaccine available to you. Both Pfizer and Moderna offer a high level of protection. People 18 to 29 will be offered the Pfizer vaccine.

https://www.alberta.ca/covid19-vaccine.aspx
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #847
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Hope this isn't a fata, but I think boosters are being opened imminently, the Alberta Health website has been updated which I suspect is to coincide with the announcement this afternoon:
Just booked mine and my wife's booster for Christmas Eve. We're 6 months after our 2nd shot.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #848
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hope this isn't a fata, but I think boosters are being opened imminently, the Alberta Health website has been updated which I suspect is to coincide with the announcement this afternoon:
yup

suspect anyone who can take a Moderna probably should- you will likely get an early booking and free up the Pfizer for those constrained by choice (age or AZ-Pf combos)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:16 PM   #849
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Boosters are being opened imminently, the Alberta Health website has been updated which I suspect is to coincide with the announcement this afternoon:
Can confirm this is already opened. I am in the 30+ range and I am booked for thursday. I would have been six months come Christmas day, so this is a win win for me with it being five months now.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #850
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I had my booster last week (falling under the immunocompromised category, but I wanted to wait at least 6 months).

I had my first 2 as Pfizer and decided to switch it up with a Moderna booster. The pharmacist said I could choose to go with a booster dose Moderna (0.25ml - 50 microgram) or full dose Moderna (0.5ml - 100 microgram). I didn't know there was a difference prior to being asked and didn't have time to research so I went with the booster dose.

Now I see research about much higher antibody levels with the full dose Moderna (37-fold vs 83-fold).
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:21 PM   #851
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Waited in the Queue-it system for a few minutes...went to book and hit the Invalid Page screen.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 01:22 PM   #852
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wife is unable to access anything either.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:22 PM   #853
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can finally book! I am 7 months past my booster now. I qualified as immunocompromised before but not now so I had to wait for my age range. Now that I can book... the site won't work for me. Son of a Nutcracker!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #854
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

This website is terrible right now - I managed to get myself and my wife booked though.

Unfortunately, the text for my wife doesn't show the date/time - good thing we both have appointments at the same time.

QR codes look to be broken that it sends out too.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:31 PM   #855
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried the site and it told me I wasn't eligible. Called a pharmacy and in 20 minutes I had that sweet, sweet booster juice flowing inside me.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #856
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

All they really had to do was release 10 year age groups every 3 days, starting 2 weeks ago. But no, this is what they went with. It's amazing we are this far into it and they still make such amateur mistakes.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #857
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
All they really had to do was release 10 year age groups every 3 days, starting 2 weeks ago. But no, this is what they went with. It's amazing we are this far into it and they still make such amateur mistakes.
It's the Black Friday of vaccine rollouts.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #858
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know what doses look like for people who are immunocompromised? Is it the full dose or half dose.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #859
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

My wife who is immunocompromised due to RA meds was given a full dose.

EDIT: Full Moderna
Old 12-21-2021, 01:44 PM   #860
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I tried the site and it told me I wasn't eligible. Called a pharmacy and in 20 minutes I had that sweet, sweet booster juice flowing inside me.
Hey Nik…do you mind telling me what pharmacy that is? My mom is having a hard time getting booked with the website and her pharmacist is booked solid. (If you’re in Calgary that is) thanks l! You can PM me if that makes you feel better or you don’t need to reply either. No worries
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote