Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2023, 11:50 AM   #8981
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Using "woke mob" unironically is a tell
Unironically saying that there's no such thing as a woke mob, or, suggesting it, is very telling.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:45 PM   #8982
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I like how Neanderthals rebranded their complaints about not being “politically correct” now as the “woke mob” coming for them. It’s much easier to not feel like you’re the jackass when you’re fighting against a group instead of an idea. Pretty smart of them really
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 01:01 PM   #8983
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Their physical prime, sure, but I imagine there are many/most people in their intellectual prime beyond that time. If Americans were voting for sexiest president, then yeah, cap it at, like, 35, but I think intelligence, education, mental acuity, and experience all probably peak during your 40s and 50s. You can be super smart younger, but I think experience and a track record are important considerations when electing a world leader. Not to say a young person can't be a great leader, though. But these geriatrics? Fata that. When was the last time you needed to call a boomer for advice or help with anything. They're all past their prime at this point.
So, you're saying that the Catholic Church are on the right track?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:01 PM   #8984
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I like how Neanderthals rebranded their complaints about not being “politically correct” now as the “woke mob” coming for them. It’s much easier to not feel like you’re the jackass when you’re fighting against a group instead of an idea. Pretty smart of them really
I wouldn't give them too much credit, most of it is probably because it went from 7 syllables to 2. Less chance of misspelling on their signs.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:39 PM   #8985
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's the correct term for when people with extremely progressive opinions get together on social media and try and use their collective influence to ruin someones life for running afoul of their ideology?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #8986
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
What's the correct term for when people with extremely progressive opinions get together on social media and try and use their collective influence to ruin someones life for running afoul of their ideology?
Can you provide an example?
Old 02-22-2023, 01:48 PM   #8987
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I'm very curious to find out what 'extremely progressive' mean.

Same with 'woke mob'. Do they walk around with baseball bats or something? It's all very spooky.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:49 PM   #8988
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yoho-icide*

*that's a joke
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:51 PM   #8989
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leaving aside the culture war aspects of the whole thing I am always bewildered by people who try to act like this is something they're completely unfamiliar with. Really? You haven't noticed that sort of thing happening ever, at all, to anyone? Okay, if you say so.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 01:53 PM   #8990
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So, you're saying that the Catholic Church are on the right track?
If they're wrong, I don't want to know what right is.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:53 PM   #8991
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Can you provide an example?
Progressives trying to ruin NASCAR for banning the confederate flag?
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 03:54 PM   #8992
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure about progressives, but for conservatives it’s called Fox News.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:56 PM   #8993
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm curious if a "woke mob" has actually rained down any kind of consequential justice on someone.

If anything, it only seems to make the targets and their audience emboldened and increases their uptake on the grift circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:00 PM   #8994
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Speaking of anti-woke!

A Wealthy ‘Anti-Woke’ Activist Joins the 2024 Presidential Field

Quote:
Vivek Ramaswamy, a multimillionaire entrepreneur and author, entered the Republican presidential race on Tuesday with an appearance on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News show and a video centered on opposition to social justice activism.

Mr. Ramaswamy, 37, is a former biotechnology executive and hedge fund partner who has made a name for himself in right-wing circles by opposing corporate efforts to advance political, social and environmental causes. He has particularly denounced environmental, social and governance investing, or E.S.G., a framework under which financial companies consider the long-term societal effects of their investment decisions.

His announcement video signaled that he would focus his campaign on the notion that conservatives are being culturally victimized by a social and political focus on the effects of racism and other forms of bigotry.

“We’re in the middle of a national identity crisis,” the three-and-a-half-minute video begins. “Faith, patriotism and hard work have disappeared, only to be replaced by new secular religions like Covidism, climatism and gender ideology.”
Spoiler!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:04 PM   #8995
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
new secular religions like Covidism, climatism and gender ideology
oh my god, I can't even with these people. It's always just buzzword after buzzword ... I know their target audience doesn't give a #### about actual policy anymore, but come on.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:09 PM   #8996
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Leaving aside the culture war aspects of the whole thing I am always bewildered by people who try to act like this is something they're completely unfamiliar with. Really? You haven't noticed that sort of thing happening ever, at all, to anyone? Okay, if you say so.
Gaslighting is part of it.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:37 PM   #8997
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty damn woke but somehow I never got my invitation to the get together, was there food? I assume BYOB, when do these meetings happen as I need to know how offended I am supposed to be at not being invited.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:58 PM   #8998
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Witchhunt?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:59 PM   #8999
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so tired of the word woke.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 05:01 PM   #9000
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I was interested in reading a specific example, all the "cancel culture" stuff I remember was for people who did some pretty ####ty things. That's not the result of a mob, that's them being ####ty people. So who has a legitimate gripe that they were "canceled" because someone disagreed with their ideology(keeping in mind if their ideology is ####ty, that makes them ####ty too).

To me the worst of it seems to come from the right, who have canceled access to abortions, cancelled responsible gun regulation, attempt to cancel legitimate healthcare(vaccines)and attempt to cancel any trans event they get a sniff of. Note none of these things they have succeeded in cancelling are because the people involved are ####ty. These are people trying to make the world a better place. But hey, it's only "extremely progressive" people that are the real problem here, so lets be sure to single them out.

So lets hear it, who has the left "cancelled" that wasn't just the case that reality caught up to ####ty people?