Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2022, 09:40 PM   #8181
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
I wrote up a large rant, but deleted it. The only point I disagree with is the housing market. It's complete crap right now if you didn't get in two years ago or earlier. This is not to say I want the GOP back in, but first time buyers right now are in an extremely difficult place. We've been looking to buy for the last year + but prices have doubled or tripled in that time.
Fair enough and that is definitely a problem. My point was that it didn't completely crash with the drastic increases in interest rates, which would have snowballed into other economic problems. Yeah, I can definitely empathize with the affordability problems with prices as they are and mortgage rates doubling. I don't know what the answer to that is. Around here, houses, townhouses and apartments are being built faster than I imagined was possible and they are still all selling immediately even with the current interest rates. We've at least gone from having to bid 20% over asking price to selling in a day or two though.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:53 PM   #8182
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Fair enough and that is definitely a problem. My point was that it didn't completely crash with the drastic increases in interest rates, which would have snowballed into other economic problems. Yeah, I can definitely empathize with the affordability problems with prices as they are and mortgage rates doubling. I don't know what the answer to that is. Around here, houses, townhouses and apartments are being built faster than I imagined was possible and they are still all selling immediately even with the current interest rates. We've at least gone from having to bid 20% over asking price to selling in a day or two though.

We're in an apartment right now, and to give an idea how bad it is, our base rent is $1200. Extras aside, we're in a 750 sq ft 1 bedroom. If we were to be a new renter for the exact same type of unit, they're asking $1800 right now. We've been here several years, and thankfully my state has some limits on rent increases which is why we're so low. We could definitely afford something larger, but why waste more money on another rental? It just seems like a house gets further and further away.
gallione11 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gallione11 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 06:56 AM   #8183
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
We're in an apartment right now, and to give an idea how bad it is, our base rent is $1200. Extras aside, we're in a 750 sq ft 1 bedroom. If we were to be a new renter for the exact same type of unit, they're asking $1800 right now. We've been here several years, and thankfully my state has some limits on rent increases which is why we're so low. We could definitely afford something larger, but why waste more money on another rental? It just seems like a house gets further and further away.
The only thing to do is exercise patience. Monetary policy takes time to impact the economy. Interest rates and the cooling of the market are driving prices down. The market is shifting and prices are dropping. The downside is you're likely going to have to pay a higher interest rate to access money, but once you own the home you're looking for, you'll then be able to take advantage of refis when rates begin to adjust back down. The Fed recognizes that high interest rates slow the economy, so they use rate hikes somewhat judiciously. Save your money now and prepare for those prices to come down. Until then, accept that the current situation is reparative to the blunders made while "the business man" was in office.

I do think it's hilarious that YoYo thanked your post when you acknowledged that a government program to control rents and limit escalation of rents is keeping things affordable for you. Regulation works!

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 12-08-2022 at 06:59 AM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:07 AM   #8184
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The only thing to do is exercise patience. Monetary policy takes time to impact the economy. Interest rates and the cooling of the market are driving prices down. The market is shifting and prices are dropping. The downside is you're likely going to have to pay a higher interest rate to access money, but once you own the home you're looking for, you'll then be able to take advantage of refis when rates begin to adjust back down. The Fed recognizes that high interest rates slow the economy, so they use rate hikes somewhat judiciously. Save your money now and prepare for those prices to come down. Until then, accept that the current situation is reparative to the blunders made while "the business man" was in office.

I do think it's hilarious that YoYo thanked your post when you acknowledged that a government program to control rents and limit escalation of rents is keeping things affordable for you. Regulation works!

Such reassuring advice. The fact is you have no clue how this will play out and anyone who can’t see how bad Biden has been for the economy is clueless.

You sound like JT still blaming Harper.

I thanked him for his candid story and added you to my ignore list.

Last edited by Yoho; 12-08-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:14 AM   #8185
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awwwww, poor YoYo is taking his ball and going home. Don't worry YoYo, I'll still be pounding every one of your ridiculous takes into the ground. You may run away and hide in your little bubble of RW stupidity, but every one of your god awful takes will be dismantled so others won't accept your garbage as anything but the disinformation it is.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:39 AM   #8186
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yoho's CP is just going to be a wall of hidden posts soon.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:18 AM   #8187
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yoho's CP is just going to be a wall of hidden posts soon.
Which would be ideal. He’s not going to get banned for obvious trolling, so it’d be great if he couldn’t see anyone’s posts and people realized that and ensured they couldn’t see his.

Normal conversations can be had while the little “This user is on your ignore list” pops up from time to time. It’s as valuable as a usual Yoho contribution and doesn’t pull the conversation into idiotic territory. A beautiful thing.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #8188
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

The hard part is respecting the "View Post" button when you ignore someone, because you just want to see what kind of trainwreck statement is coming from that hidden HTML element
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:56 AM   #8189
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The hard part is respecting the "View Post" button when you ignore someone, because you just want to see what kind of trainwreck statement is coming from that hidden HTML element
That’s why I never put interesting trolls on my ignore list.

If it makes you feel better, remember:
- you’re probably on his ignore list and he’s not checking out your posts
- he’s never posted anything beyond links to articles/tweets and brief RW clichés. It’s not even a train wreck, it’s just the dumb stuff you can find from 1000s of other generic RW accounts on Twitter or in comment sections. You’re literally missing nothing of substance or even cheap entertainment value

Highly recommended function for this scenario, imo
Old 12-08-2022, 09:07 AM   #8190
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I hope I'm on his ignore list, and a few others.

Gotta admit, I'm a rubber necker. I love a good hot mess.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:07 AM   #8191
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ignore list is really dumb. All it does is insulate you in your bubble of whatever junk you consume. It is much better to be challenged in your thinking and then have to work to support your claims or discredit others using facts than to run away and hide. It's a bitch move TBH. Plus, the ignore list only affects what you see, and as Pepsi pointed out, there are posts from some of the usual suspects that you just need to rip to shreds so other impressionable people don't read some of that garbage and think it has merit. Part of free speech that trolls like YoYo keep nattering on about is defending what you are saying and engaging in open debate where you give others their say. The ignore list is a form of the very censorship they continually mess their diapers over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 09:16 AM   #8192
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I’d argue the poster in question doesn’t challenge thinking, he has people resort to having to dumb theirs down, but you do you.

I enjoy a good challenge as much as anyone. Clichés and opinion column headlines don’t do it for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 09:24 AM   #8193
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

YoYo doesn't challenge thinking. He spreads disinformation which in turn must be challenged. If disinformation is not challenged, it has potential to sink into zeitgeist and become accepted as truth. We should not accept that possibility and should be challenging disinformation at all turns.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 09:27 AM   #8194
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Meh. I see valid points on both sides. On one hand chuds like Yoho need to be called out. On the other, it's just a message board and Yoho (if he's a human being) just gets one vote like the rest of us.

Sometimes you just can't change the algorithms in AI.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:51 AM   #8195
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
YoYo doesn't challenge thinking. He spreads disinformation which in turn must be challenged. If disinformation is not challenged, it has potential to sink into zeitgeist and become accepted as truth. We should not accept that possibility and should be challenging disinformation at all turns.
Haha. The only place their posts are likely to sink is to the bottom of a toilet bowl.

I love CP but it's hardly the heartbeat of the sociocultural environment.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:51 AM   #8196
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I only have one poster on ignore and it's certainly not because he challenges my thinking.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #8197
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...soner-exchange

Quiet the “trade”
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:01 AM   #8198
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have taken one person off because they weren’t as trolly as I first thought. Twitter though, I would just blanket block and mute anyone who even liked a stupid tweet.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #8199
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
No kidding. A basketball player for an arms dealer?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:08 AM   #8200
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use the Ignore list, but only for people that got excessively / bizarrely hostile towards me within the arena discussion. They know who they are, and seeing these political threads, I think they still need their bellies rubbed to calm down (it's just a damn message board, lol)
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote