Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #1101
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I feel like my rant got side tracked by the need to draw someone a picture so they understand what is going on.

And I actually have always like Ozy as a poster.

See, this topic makes people go wacky.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #1102
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #1103
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the boyz have arrived!

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #1104
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

This feels like Ozy just doubling down like Trump and his sharpie lol.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #1105
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I will say, visiting Calgary for the first time in 9 years this last summer I had totally forgotten how many trucks, SUVs dominated the roads. Even Iceland which has legit use for those because of our roads, is still utterly dominated by fuel efficient smaller cars, lots of electric cars, and this is of course even far more so in the EU overall.

Simply because our gas prices are far higher, so people buy more fuel efficient cars.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #1106
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iceland sounds like a Utopia. Is there anything they don't do right?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #1107
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I will say, visiting Calgary for the first time in 9 years this last summer I had totally forgotten how many trucks, SUVs dominated the roads. Even Iceland which has legit use for those because of our roads, is still utterly dominated by fuel efficient smaller cars, lots of electric cars, and this is of course even far more so in the EU overall.

Simply because our gas prices are far higher, so people buy more fuel efficient cars.
Agreed. That's definitely the way it's going to have to eventually be here, we need to be smarter about the vehicles we choose to use. There simply isn't a reason for driving a gas-guzzling pickup truck or Sahara around the inner city as a primary vehicle, unless its used for its purpose to actually haul stuff.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #1108
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I could write many essays on all the corruption, terrible governance, shameful business practices, greed, corruption, oh and corruption.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #1109
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone ready to start with geo-engineering solutions yet?

With 12 years to go and a near zero will power to solve the issue its time to implement the stop gaps.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/geoen...t-be-an-option

Last edited by GGG; 09-24-2019 at 09:05 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #1110
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Anyone ready to start with geo-engineering solutions yet?

With 12 years to go and a near zero will power to solve the issue its time to implement the stop gaps.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/geoen...t-be-an-option
Spraying things into the air to control climate change reminds me of the Matrix or Snowpiercer. Gives me shivers even just thinking about it. We really shouldn't have to add more chemicals to the air to counteract the exiting chemical content. Let's cut emissions first, change our infrastructure and farming habits, and find better sources of energy. Geoengineering sounds fancy but incredibly dangerous.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #1111
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow kids really using their childhood to back up their virtue signaling. I guess if the children speak then we must listen.

Greta Thunberg’s followers told Cathy McKenna to stfu because she hasn’t blocked pipelines but i guess that’s ok cause they are swedish kids that know everything about the world.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5296238
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #1112
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Although the report is released by a bank (and not necessarily a research institute), it does detail some of the changes that have happened, and what we will have to accommodate for in the future, particularly in urban areas.

https://www.goldmansachs.com/insight...eat/report.pdf
Old 09-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #1113
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see the problem with children speaking out, even if it goes against economic interests. They have to live on this planet for another 70+ years. I think they're right to be anxious and furious about old people ruining it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #1114
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

If these children have a solution for balancing the increasing the energy needs of the world, especially the developing world, vs the need to reduce carbon emissions they are welcome to present that any time. Instead they are screaming about the need to do something, do something while not taking a full view look of this very real dilemma, it's pretty easy to just scream about something and not propose any solutions. When Thunberg said people are dying from climate change it was ironic in that people will also die and are dying from lack of access to energy, the factor responsible for pulling all of us in nice rich Western countries out of poverty to the lifestyles we currently enjoy. Is she also going to go to China and India, look destitute children in the face, and tell them they will die because she doesn't want them to have access to energy. No? I guess it's easier to proselytize at the UN than to take a full view look at what your ideology will mean.

There are people working on solutions. Practical, stepwise solutions that can address this issue while also balancing the very real and unceasing need for energy. One of those things is building a pipeline to export Canadian crude. The other is carbon capture and storage. Solutions worked on by adults while these children stomp their feet and scream as children do. Here's a good article from a scientist who fully understands climate change and the need to reduce emissions while also being a pragmatist who understand how unhelpful this over the top rhetoric is.

https://achemistinlangley.net/2019/0...mate-strikers/
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #1115
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

How dare you
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #1116
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
WTF? Transitioning away from fossil fuels is going to see us all have our arms and legs cut off, our nuts lopped off, and made blind? Just a little bit of hyperbole perchance?

Any you called the young Swede a fear monger? Holy ####.

Sorry for the late reply, but I am not sure how you could think that cutting off access to energy for developing nations wouldn't lead to mass starvation and death.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #1117
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Spraying things into the air to control climate change reminds me of the Matrix or Snowpiercer. Gives me shivers even just thinking about it. We really shouldn't have to add more chemicals to the air to counteract the exiting chemical content. Let's cut emissions first, change our infrastructure and farming habits, and find better sources of energy. Geoengineering sounds fancy but incredibly dangerous.
Do you believe the science or not? Do you believe we are approaching extinction level events.

There is not the political will cut emissions we have proved that over and over again. Even amount European nations they are falling off the pace required. The developing world will continue to expand energy production.

If you believe the science then Snowpiercer is the only solution ready in time.

It has hazards and risks and doesn’t stop things like ocean acidification but the longer we delay the more we risk Antarctica and permafrost melting and other unfixable events.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #1118
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don't see the problem with children speaking out, even if it goes against economic interests. They have to live on this planet for another 70+ years. I think they're right to be anxious and furious about old people ruining it.
I have no problem with children speaking out, they should be free to use their voices as much as they can. I just have a problem with people placing a greater value on their views on the basis that they are children. In the case of Greta that's what's happening.

The whole 'people over 65's votes should count less because they don't have to live with the consequences' argument is garbage too. Maybe older people have been around the block long enough to respect how first world institutions, economies, etc. have achieved great things to pull billions out of poverty and subsistence living in preceding decades.

A balance between the energy needs of maintaining the great human achievements of the past both politically and economically while addressing climate change is needed. Honestly if the only acceptable answer is to go all 'Green New Deal' and take a sledge hammer to our economies and institutions, then from where we sit today the consequences of the Earth heating up on the current trajectory look good by comparison.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #1119
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I do have a problem with the kids speaking out. The problem is they have a limited perspective, have never supported a family, never held a job and mostly never been responsible for anything in their life.

Once they do all that they can speak out.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #1120
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I do have a problem with the kids speaking out. The problem is they have a limited perspective, have never supported a family, never held a job and mostly never been responsible for anything in their life.

Once they do all that they can speak out.
I agree with your sentiment, but your description describes a growing demographic of the adult population in the first world as well!
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote