Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2023, 12:14 PM   #6641
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

MGS games have always prioritized story so I don't see that changing and as long as the game looks and performs good I don't see a problem. Being a remake it's not going to be groundbreaking but for younger gamers it will be a chance to play a great game from the past and old timers like me get to revisit the game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 02:38 PM   #6642
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
MGS games have always prioritized story so I don't see that changing and as long as the game looks and performs good I don't see a problem. Being a remake it's not going to be groundbreaking but for younger gamers it will be a chance to play a great game from the past and old timers like me get to revisit the game.
I have MSG2 and MSG3 on my Vita, but will happily experience the game on modern consoles...

Like Capcom, Konami/Virtuous need to ensure that the core experience remains the same...we means knowing what to modernize and what to leave in...

the "5 min" ladder climb is classic Kojima for example, and it would be a shame to lose those idiosyncratic elements that made MSG3 such a beloved game.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:23 PM   #6643
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
I have MSG2 and MSG3 on my Vita, but will happily experience the game on modern consoles...

Like Capcom, Konami/Virtuous need to ensure that the core experience remains the same...we means knowing what to modernize and what to leave in...

the "5 min" ladder climb is classic Kojima for example, and it would be a shame to lose those idiosyncratic elements that made MSG3 such a beloved game.
Right, and it wouldn't be the first time an outside developer tried to remake a beloved Kojima MGS game to very mixed results (Twin Snakes).

And if it's just a straight visuals remake well, what's the point?

I much prefer a remake as something like FFVII Remake, where you had a bunch of the same lead creatives as the original game getting together and totally re-imagining everything from the ground up for a whole different type of experience.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:18 PM   #6644
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is coming to PC in July!

MORE!
Old 05-30-2023, 02:34 PM   #6645
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is coming to PC in July!

MORE!
This isn't directed at you per say, but I'm puzzled about PC gamers being hyped about these Playstation exclusives coming to PC. To play at the same graphics quality as the PS5, they'd need to have a PC where the GPU alone costs double what the PS5 does. Why not just buy the console then and enjoy the games way sooner?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:44 PM   #6646
photon

Exp:

That's fair. In most cases I prefer the mouse and keyboard interface (some games controller is fine but anything FPS related I much prefer the mouse and keyboard). Plus I prefer playing at my computer vs a couch and TV (aging eyes doesn't help).

And I already have a gaming PC, so these games coming to PC are like an added bonus.

That they're doing more of them I think says that there's a big enough market of ppl like me to make it worth their while. Though I don't know if the majority of those people have the same reasons I do.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 02:53 PM   #6647
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This isn't directed at you per say, but I'm puzzled about PC gamers being hyped about these Playstation exclusives coming to PC. To play at the same graphics quality as the PS5, they'd need to have a PC where the GPU alone costs double what the PS5 does. Why not just buy the console then and enjoy the games way sooner?
I'm not really the target market for PS5 ports usually, but isn't the obvious answer that a) most of us already have gaming PCs of that nature anyway, and b) those PCs allow you to play at a much higher graphics quality than a PS5?

I thought what you were going to say was that you didn't understand being hyped about playstation exclusives on PC given that they almost always end up being poorly optimized and run terribly on PC. Which... would be very fair.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:20 PM   #6648
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm not really the target market for PS5 ports usually, but isn't the obvious answer that a) most of us already have gaming PCs of that nature anyway, and b) those PCs allow you to play at a much higher graphics quality than a PS5?

I thought what you were going to say was that you didn't understand being hyped about playstation exclusives on PC given that they almost always end up being poorly optimized and run terribly on PC. Which... would be very fair.
I was going to mention that part but I forgot. And I agree with Photon that FPS games are better on PC, but that's the only genre. Everything else is way more comfortable on my console with a couch and big screen TV, including 3rd person shooters like Ratchet & Clank

And naturally the PC has the ability to run games with higher graphics settings, but I haven't seen any evidence for "much higher quality". These games were developed for a console, you're not going to get a vastly different visual experience on the PC other than higher framerates with beefy rigs, and that's only if the port is optimized enough to allow it which they usually aren't
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 03:48 PM   #6649
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's only really true at high-resolution rates and with ray-tracing enabled. I have a 7 year-old card that can still play most new AAA titles at 1080p just fine.

EDIT: I totally misread that. Still, I can be excited about playing PS5 games with amazing graphics, even if they're not directly on par with the PS5.

Last edited by rubecube; 05-30-2023 at 03:50 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:04 PM   #6650
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I was going to mention that part but I forgot. And I agree with Photon that FPS games are better on PC, but that's the only genre. Everything else is way more comfortable on my console with a couch and big screen TV, including 3rd person shooters like Ratchet & Clank

And naturally the PC has the ability to run games with higher graphics settings, but I haven't seen any evidence for "much higher quality". These games were developed for a console, you're not going to get a vastly different visual experience on the PC other than higher framerates with beefy rigs, and that's only if the port is optimized enough to allow it which they usually aren't
That is your opinion, and not one many PC gamers will actually agree with. Get yourself an excellent comfortable chair and high refresh rate 30+ inch monitor and the experience is as good if not better than what you described.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:13 PM   #6651
photon

Exp:

My current chair is more comfortable to game with than my couch, and that's with the chair being at the end of its life.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 04:28 PM   #6652
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say the biggest thing is the mountain of games that are only available on PC, especially if you're like me and seem to mostly play strategy games and simulators

I'm sure I'll eventually get a PS5 as well now that it isn't a chore to hunt one down, just so I can play NHL and MLB again. But if for some reason you could only pick one, I'd stick with PC 10 times out of 10.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:40 PM   #6653
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'd say the biggest thing is the mountain of games that are only available on PC, especially if you're like me and seem to mostly play strategy games and simulators

I'm sure I'll eventually get a PS5 as well now that it isn't a chore to hunt one down, just so I can play NHL and MLB again. But if for some reason you could only pick one, I'd stick with PC 10 times out of 10.
If that is the main reason you would buy PS5, save your money. NHL hasn't been good in years and MLB The Show is starting to follow that trend.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:57 PM   #6654
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a gaming lapboard, added some extra cushions for wrist support, and now am able to couch game as much as I want.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:01 PM   #6655
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is a fairly insane take... even just using emulators you can get a much better experience than a console. I'm currently installing TOTK and we'll see but that's the biggest game of the year and even playing it emulated with all the CPU load that entails you can play it at much higher res and fps than on the original platform. Hell, I get 90fps at 4k in BOTW. Switch can't do that.

If you want to see much higher quality, compare how Cyberpunk - a game that is now over 2 years old - looks on a PC at higher settings compared to running on PS5. It's not even close. And that gap will only widen with newer releases. Just because they're made for the lesser hardware doesn't mean there's no headroom for a PC to make them better. Hell, that doesn't even take into account mods!

I own a PS5, and the benefit it offers is convenience. Full stop.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 08:13 PM   #6656
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is a fairly insane take... even just using emulators you can get a much better experience than a console. I'm currently installing TOTK and we'll see but that's the biggest game of the year and even playing it emulated with all the CPU load that entails you can play it at much higher res and fps than on the original platform. Hell, I get 90fps at 4k in BOTW. Switch can't do that.

If you want to see much higher quality, compare how Cyberpunk - a game that is now over 2 years old - looks on a PC at higher settings compared to running on PS5. It's not even close. And that gap will only widen with newer releases. Just because they're made for the lesser hardware doesn't mean there's no headroom for a PC to make them better. Hell, that doesn't even take into account mods!

I own a PS5, and the benefit it offers is convenience. Full stop.
I was specifically talking about those Sony exclusive games that were developed for PS4/5 first then ported to PC. I'm well aware that high end PC's can push fidelity a lot further than consoles on cross platform titles, but not enough to warrant such an insane price tag for a good GPU IMO
Old 05-31-2023, 08:18 AM   #6657
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only console really worth owning is Nintendo Switch at this point -- PS5 and Series X are basically just cheap PCs at this point and almost all 'exclusive' software releases either immediately on PC or eventually. Nintendo is the only console hardware maker committed to a unique experience and actually true exclusive software.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:34 AM   #6658
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh, Switch games run better on PC, substantially better
I own all consoles and a gaming PC...PS5 and Series X are incredible value IMO.

Last edited by dino7c; 05-31-2023 at 08:36 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:04 AM   #6659
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My PC gets better FPS and resolutions than my PS5 according to the numbers but according to my eyes, they look exactly the same .
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 09:06 AM   #6660
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Uh, Switch games run better on PC, substantially better
I own all consoles and a gaming PC...PS5 and Series X are incredible value IMO.
Switch games are not legally or officially available on PC.