Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2023, 01:17 PM   #6381
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I think you mean Vampire Survivors, but yeah I love that game as a fun little game, though it's harder to watch videos on the side with it since it's bullet hell and you do need to focus to dodge stuff until your build is optimized.

Indeed I did, thanks for pointing that out! Also agree on what you said and included it mostly as it is similar to Brotato which is what I was currently playing which divides the game up into multiple 40-60 second segments.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 01:19 PM   #6382
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I really want to get into CKIII, but the learning curve with most Paradox games is just so steep that it takes a huge investment to really get going. Never truly figured out CKII and ended up giving up. Hoping the tutorial in CKIII is a bit more in-depth.
I preferred II personally, had a lot more depth to it. But that actually might be the opposite for you, newer paradox games aren't nearly as complicated as older ones. Give it a go! Steam sale started today
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:19 PM   #6383
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minecraft has always been my go-to chill game. Various Trackmania games too, but that was many years ago.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:21 PM   #6384
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I preferred II personally, had a lot more depth to it. But that actually might be the opposite for you, newer paradox games aren't nearly as complicated as older ones. Give it a go! Steam sale started today
Oh I have it downloaded on Gamepass. Just every time I see it sitting there, it gives me anxiety lol.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 01:21 PM   #6385
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yeah I do love me some rocket league but specifically looking for recommendations of something to play that only requires at most 60% of my attention

Could just go on another Crusader Kings binge
What does chill mean to you? I think a lot of us have slightly different definitions of chill.

Does something like Hades count? Rogue like that requires focus for like 3-10 minutes at a time and then you can wander off and do things on the side before moving on to the next room?

I took a look at Crusader Knights game play... if it's turned based game, does stuff like slay the spire, darkest dungeon, XCOM2 or Phantom Doctrine count?

Those aren't games I consider chill. But I wouldn't consider Crusader knights or Rocket league a chill genre for myself personally either.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 01:22 PM   #6386
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Civ is probably my go-to chill game.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 01:29 PM   #6387
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOVE me some Civ, did some big games with friends the last few weekends but taking a break right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
What does chill mean to you? I think a lot of us have slightly different definitions of chill.

Does something like Hades count? Rogue like that requires focus for like 3-10 minutes at a time and then you can wander off and do things on the side before moving on to the next room?

I took a look at Crusader Knights game play... if it's turned based game, does stuff like slay the spire, darkest dungeon, XCOM2 or Phantom Doctrine count?

Those aren't games I consider chill. But I wouldn't consider Crusader knights or Rocket league a chill genre for myself personally either.
Looking for stuff I don't really have to pay full attention too, but more importantly, if needed I can pause and walk away from every few minutes without being taken out of the action/having to re-orient myself with what's happening when sitting back down. City builders being the perfect definition but strategy like Civ or Crusader Kings definitely fit the bill too.

I love XCOM 2, one of my favourite games ever, but it doesn't quite scratch the itch I'm looking for since leaving mid mission and then coming back completely takes you out of the moment too much
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 02:44 PM   #6388
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

Back on the Civ train when I am at home as well.

Civ has gotten so much shelf life from all the updates and content.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 02:52 PM   #6389
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simulating franchise mode in NHL games is pretty chill too. Just watching the numbers of each game, reviewing how your players are doing, working on contracts / trades.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:15 PM   #6390
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Simulating franchise mode in NHL games is pretty chill too. Just watching the numbers of each game, reviewing how your players are doing, working on contracts / trades.
Hmm, I haven't played Franchise Hockey Sim in a few years, maybe I'll check out the newest one
Old 03-16-2023, 05:53 PM   #6391
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Steam sale is on.

Celeste for $5 is great for a great game
Sniper Elite 5 is $28, I'm a sucker for those
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 06:28 PM   #6392
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Steam sale is on.

Celeste for $5 is great for a great game
Sniper Elite 5 is $28, I'm a sucker for those
Dang, Steam Decks are 10% off!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 09:20 PM   #6393
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Man, I'd be playing XCOM2, fingernails all chewed off and sitting at the edge of my seat, still grieving over the loss of one of my troops three missions prior. And I played it on the easiest difficulty setting.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:04 PM   #6394
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still so happy they brought back the XCOM series. That XCOM 2 Legacy remix soundtrack was an amazing extra.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:21 AM   #6395
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Man, I'd be playing XCOM2, fingernails all chewed off and sitting at the edge of my seat, still grieving over the loss of one of my troops three missions prior. And I played it on the easiest difficulty setting.
Yeah, for me, sometimes trying to blame the game and fate for the 80%+ missed shots, but also feeling like I did my soldier dirty by sending him/her into battle and putting them in a ####ty vantage position in the first place.

For a similar gameplay type of game, Phantom doctrine and This is the Police 2 did not feel as on edge as XCOM2.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:12 AM   #6396
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chimera Squad was a bit more chill than the first two games, but I also felt like that was a bit of a drawback. The stakes were never that high because, if you failed a mission, you simply restarted it.

It's one of the glaring problems I have with Midnight Suns as well. Overall, I love the game and have put a lot of hours into it, but the stakes are pretty low.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:43 AM   #6397
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I just finished the main story of Ghost of Tsushima, and damn was that ever a great game. I think that is right up there with my all-time favourites (although my list of games played is pretty small).

The story was great, and the combat was fun and challenging throughout. I didn’t get burnt out in the open world like I usually do in other games.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 11:50 AM   #6398
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the cool thing about Ghost of Tsushima was, to me, that the way they introduced new mechanics made sense with the overall story. Once they gave me the option to stealth kill enemies and use the different arrows, I abandoned much of the usual heads on fighting. So when Lord Shimura called Jin out for abandoning the honorable way, it really mirrored what I had done and it actually resonated with me.

It has some flaws (e.g. it falls victim to some of the common problems of open world games), but yeah, certainly one of the better games I've played.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 12:02 PM   #6399
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I just finished the main story of Ghost of Tsushima, and damn was that ever a great game. I think that is right up there with my all-time favourites (although my list of games played is pretty small).

The story was great, and the combat was fun and challenging throughout. I didn’t get burnt out in the open world like I usually do in other games.
I've played a ####load of games and Ghost of Tsushima would probably make it somewhere on to my top 20 all-time favorites if I ever sat down to do it, so you're not off base lol. Fantastic game. I cooked through 60 hours and got the platinum, then came back for the DLC a year later and never got bored once.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:36 PM   #6400
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, Ghosts of Tsushima is a gem. Beautiful game, good story, mostly fun gameplay. When I first set foot in the Golden Temple, my jaw absolutely dropped from the visuals.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote