Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #201
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think Peterson would agree though that in retrospect, on a platform designed to be contextless, he shouldn't have tweeted that since it invites these kinds of situations. The tweet has been deleted, after all.
Absolutely, and I think it lends itself to his worry in the most recent interview about making mistakes or saying the wrong thing, something he too often does.

For an intelligent man who prides himself an expert on culture, he’s not very good at navigating it. Perhaps because he doesn’t care to, which is likely.

He just has a lot of comments that he can explain away. But when they build up, eventually people are going to stop listening.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #202
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
For an intelligent man who prides himself an expert on culture, he’s not very good at navigating it. Perhaps because he doesn’t care to, which is likely.
* Peterson's easily in the top 0.1 per cent of people in the amount of speech he puts out there - tweets, lectures, videos, livestreams.

* Pretty much all of it is about controversial issues.

* He has no PR training, and on principle tries never to evade questions or answer in vague generalities.

Combine those three things, and the simple law of averages make it inevitable that he'll say something scandalous.

I'm watching South Park season 20 right now, and they're bang on with the consequences of everyone having their complete social media and internet histories made public - wild panic and anarchy.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #203
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think Peterson would agree though that in retrospect, on a platform designed to be contextless, he shouldn't have tweeted that since it invites these kinds of situations. The tweet has been deleted, after all.
Actually, the tweet hasn't been deleted.

It's still here: https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/...23934657703937
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sworkhard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #204
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
* Peterson's easily in the top 0.1 per cent of people in the amount of speech he puts out there - tweets, lectures, videos, livestreams
If that tweet is the worst thing that they could dip up on him, then I think that he'll still be riding that 100 foot wave for a little while longer.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #205
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
If that tweet is the worst thing that they could dip up on him, then I think that he'll still be riding that 100 foot wave for a little while longer.
Maybe, but how can you even tell what's going to suddenly be the kiss of death? I mean, have you heard the name "Milo Yiannopoulos" for a year or so? Used to be he was all over the place, saying horrible and provocative things that you'd think would be public relations suicide. Granted, appearing to defend pedophilia was terrible, but he'd said other stuff that I'd have thought would be roughly the same level of terrible and no one ever batted an eye (other than the people he was deliberately trying to offend). It all worked in his favour. Suddenly, it was decided he was done. Why was it that, and not one of his other crazy positions? I don't know, maybe I'm tone deaf, but I don't really understand the rules here.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:35 PM   #206
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely, and I think it lends itself to his worry in the most recent interview about making mistakes or saying the wrong thing, something he too often does.

He just has a lot of comments that he can explain away. But when they build up, eventually people are going to stop listening.
In the Red Corner: Jordan Peterson
In the Blue Corner: PepsiFree

This is a mismatch.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:39 AM   #207
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
In the Red Corner: Jordan Peterson
In the Blue Corner: PepsiFree

This is a mismatch.
Probably, especially in certain areas.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #208
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably, especially in certain areas.
Out of curiosity, what areas would those be, in your opinion?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #209
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good discussion on Joe Rogan this week.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #210
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since this thread is at the top right now, I'll post this, even though I won't get a chance to read it until probably tomorrow. It's the article I referenced earlier that I was waiting for about Peterson. I have enough faith in the author that I figure it'll be very much worth reading (regardless of whether you're a Peterson fan).

https://areomagazine.com/2018/01/29/...rything-world/
Quote:
The Guru Appeal of Jordan Peterson in our Post-Everything World

The key words in that brief biography of Jordan Peterson are, in increasing order of importance, “life-coach,” “passionate,” “churches” (in the given context), and “guru.” Put another way, Peterson’s star appeal isn’t curious at all to anyone who understands the inner mechanics of religious movements. Whether he realizes it or not, Peterson is leading one. That explains his star appeal effectively entirely.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2018, 11:56 PM   #211
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Good discussion on Joe Rogan this week.
For the lazy.

FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:27 AM   #212
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Out of curiosity, what areas would those be, in your opinion?
MOD EDIT: Removed, off topic, discuss the topic not the poster.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:01 AM   #213
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Since this thread is at the top right now, I'll post this, even though I won't get a chance to read it until probably tomorrow. It's the article I referenced earlier that I was waiting for about Peterson. I have enough faith in the author that I figure it'll be very much worth reading (regardless of whether you're a Peterson fan).

I don't know if I buy that it's a cult or a religion. Peterson is trying to improve individuals in an ever-changing world. Perhaps in this world men are losing their way or feel left behind (rightly or wrongly). So he teaches men (mostly) to improve themselves and not be victims. In life you have two choices, you can be a leader or a victim. So take the lead and improve yourself everyday. If you're shy, say hi to the kiosk girl. It's their job to be friendly. If you're uncomfortable at parties or networking events just go there first to observe and then maybe talk to one person. Set small goals.

I don't know why there is such a backlash. And then there's a backlash to the backlash. He's not the only one doing this, just his language might be a bit stronger than others.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #214
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
MOD EDIT: Removed, off topic, discuss the topic not the poster.
Thank-you MOD.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #215
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Excellent article. Some great insights:

Quote:
In the apparent cultural vacuum that has been left by the retreat of tradition and religion, seekers today largely have to choose between social justice leftism and alt-right idiocy if they seek some deeper sense of meaning and belongingness in their lives. Here, Peterson offers a middle way...
Quote:
They are the root of what Jonathan Rauch called the “fundamentalist impulse,” which is the perennial enemy of liberal society against which American Enlightenment figures urged we must always retain vigilance — specifically because people crave them so. It isn’t coincidental, then, that “principles” and “certainties” are precisely what the social justice left and alt-right (not to mention the Islamic State) are selling by the truckload to disaffected Western kids.
I agree that to many of his followers, at least, Peterson is a guru. Which is my biggest problem with the movement - many of his most enthusiastic fans reject the simplistic dogma of progressive leftism, but demonstrate many of the same tribalistic behaviours. They hone their critical thinking skills when challenging identity politics, but suspend them when Peterson speaks.

However, I don't know that this should be laid at the feet of Peterson. First, I don't see any signs that Peterson is deliberately fostering blind obedience or cult-like group-think. There are people who hang on every word from the mouth of a Christopher Hitchens or Sam Harris, but that doesn't make them religious figures. Secondly, tribalism is evident in every community. We can't seem to escape it. I mean, just look at this forum - its entire purpose is to foster collective, irrational support for a sports team.

And Peterson never misses an opportunity to warn of the dangers of ideology, of political movements rooted in simplistic and wishful thinking. His attitude towards religion is conflicted, but I don't see anything suspicious or problematic about that. An atheist (and Peterson has suggested he doesn't believe in God) can see value in eternal myths of the sort Joseph Campbell illuminated, and recognize that this part of the human psyche can never be truly understood with reason and empiricism alone.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-31-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #216
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I listened to that Rogan interview and thought Peterson was very well spoken. The one criticism I have is that he takes positions that are rational (The logical conclusion of neo marxism/equality of outcome is a tyrannical state, ie soviet union, and the logical conclusion of far right is Nazism) and suggests we are heading that way, which seems like a bit of a stretch.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #217
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think part of the reason Peterson is popular is simply that he speaks like an intelligent adult, which is pretty rare to see these days. A lot of people are tired of shallow hashtag social justice outrage but also of obvious con men like Trump. Most adults (especially politicians) we see still try to fit in on one side or the other instead of cutting through all the BS. We are pretty rarely presented with a respectable adult who actually has some knowledge on what he speaks about, gives things careful consideration, and can communicate truthfully about what he thinks. He speaks like he's a strong parent -- he doesn't fall over himself to gain his kids approval and also wants to see them develop their own potential. It just looks like leadership to me, the same way you would respect a strong coach in a sport.
That's not to say people should deify the man. But he has a perspective that obviously comes from life experience and deep intellectual study -- so it carries weight. I think people are actually starved for wisdom of that sort.

I've watched a lot of his lectures online, he seems like an outstanding professor. I think any student that took his classes has probably come out better for it.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 10:24 AM   #218
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I think part of the reason Peterson is popular is simply that he speaks like an intelligent adult, which is pretty rare to see these days. A lot of people are tired of shallow hashtag social justice outrage but also of obvious con men like Trump. Most adults (especially politicians) we see still try to fit in on one side or the other instead of cutting through all the BS. We are pretty rarely presented with a respectable adult who actually has some knowledge on what he speaks about, gives things careful consideration, and can communicate truthfully about what he thinks. He speaks like he's a strong parent -- he doesn't fall over himself to gain his kids approval and also wants to see them develop their own potential. It just looks like leadership to me, the same way you would respect a strong coach in a sport.
That's not to say people should deify the man. But he has a perspective that obviously comes from life experience and deep intellectual study -- so it carries weight. I think people are actually starved for wisdom of that sort.

I've watched a lot of his lectures online, he seems like an outstanding professor. I think any student that took his classes has probably come out better for it.

This is a good point. He speaks with nuance, which feels like a lost art in modern parlance.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #219
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I listened to that Rogan interview and thought Peterson was very well spoken. The one criticism I have is that he takes positions that are rational (The logical conclusion of neo marxism/equality of outcome is a tyrannical state, ie soviet union, and the logical conclusion of far right is Nazism) and suggests we are heading that way, which seems like a bit of a stretch.
If you have the time, read the article Corsi linked to. The author makes a good case that with the decline of traditional religious and moral authority, people are searching for alternate sources of meaning. The movements that are emerging to meet that need are the identarian social justice left, and alt-right nationalism.

I doubt we'll see genuine communism or fascism take over any time soon, but I do think those two illiberal, quasi-religious movements will have an increasingly powerful and malign influence on society. At the very least, they need to be identified for what they are and called out by the rational, liberal centre.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-31-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #220
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If you have the time, read the article Corsi linked to. The author makes a good case that with the decline of traditional religious and moral authority, people are searching for alternate sources of meaning. The movements that are emerging to meet that need are the identarian social justice left, and alt-right nationalism.

I doubt we'll see genuine communism or fascism take over any time soon, but I do think those two illiberal, quasi-religious movements will have an increasingly powerful and malign influence on society. At the very least, they need to be identified for what they are and called out by the rational, liberal centre.
This is interesting. We've had different ideologies overthrow monarchies. Nationalists in China, Communists in Russia (indirectly), Liberalism in France, treaty in Japan. And many other places for different reasons. To the point now where any country that has a monarchy its more symbolic then anything.

Do you feel we are reaching a point that maybe 'the republic' is at risk and could be replaced by something else either right-wing or left-wing?

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote