Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #2001
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Got a call today and my rims are in, so I'm ready to get them put on. Kind of excited as I bought alloys as well. Steelies are too ugly for me.

These are going on our family car (mini-van!) which is my wife's daily driver with the kids.

Excited to hopefully hear about a big difference. Would suck to spend all this money to have a change be unnoticeable.

Maybe I should take it to an empty parking lot during the next storm and try some Fast N Furious style drifts....
You will. The difference is outstanding. That’s from both my own experience and literally every experience I’ve heard of from people going with winters for the first time.

There are also all weathers that do a really commendable job. Tires that are winter rated really are a “feel it to believe it” scenario, but I don’t think anyone with them would ever willingly go back to not having them.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #2002
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You will. The difference is outstanding. That’s from both my own experience and literally every experience I’ve heard of from people going with winters for the first time.
Yup. Coming off my summer performance tires and going onto my winters was so nice today. Huge difference.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #2003
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Just wanted to post some feedback on a website I used to buy my tires. I got them from https://www.tires-easy.ca/
They were slightly cheaper than wholesale, and they must have a warehouse in Calgary because they arrived the next day.

The only downside, the tires have a manufacture date of the 34th week of 2016- so a full 2 years old. It shouldn't make that much of a difference, however a few review sites have people talking about getting tires that are 4 or 5 years old. They do offer a full refund if you aren't satisfied, so there is that.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #2004
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Gotta say, as much as my Xice3s were disappointing in the warmer / wetter snowpocalypse we got earlier last month, on this colder hardpack that's on the side streets, they're performing shockingly well. Stuff might as well be pavement.
I have a set find them excellent it's true that is warm weather they feel like jello which is how the rubber compound stays pliable in cold weather.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #2005
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Gotta say, as much as my Xice3s were disappointing in the warmer / wetter snowpocalypse we got earlier last month, on this colder hardpack that's on the side streets, they're performing shockingly well. Stuff might as well be pavement.
I used to only buy Michelins. The thing I found with their winter tires is they work like crap for the first couple of weeks. I swear there's some kind of coating on them that needs to wear off first. I had a co-worker that had the same experience with them.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #2006
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Just wanted to post some feedback on a website I used to buy my tires. I got them from https://www.tires-easy.ca/
They were slightly cheaper than wholesale, and they must have a warehouse in Calgary because they arrived the next day.

The only downside, the tires have a manufacture date of the 34th week of 2016- so a full 2 years old. It shouldn't make that much of a difference, however a few review sites have people talking about getting tires that are 4 or 5 years old. They do offer a full refund if you aren't satisfied, so there is that.
I have always found 1010tires and pmctire to have the best prices with PMCtire having the best stock.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #2007
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yeah, Tire-easy was a good $100 cheaper than either of those sites. Makes the sting of buying them little better.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #2008
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

Bought a pair of replacement tires online at Crappy Tire yesterday because they were on sale. Picked them up and they had a 3314 stamp meaning they were manufactured in 2014! The old guy behind the counter told me with a semi-straight face that as long as its not older than five years old they'll sell them

Serves me right for trying to give them my business -- now I'm on hold to cancel my order and get a refund because their dinosaur computers couldn't do it for me
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #2009
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

I took my aunt over to Econo Tire off of Mcknight. She traded in a couple sets of tires and rims and they gave a stellar deal on some new winter tires. It's a nice option for anyone with older sets of tires with some tread that do not wish to haggle with the Kijiji Crowd.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #2010
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So looking ahead to swapping back to summer tires. This is the first time I have ever had two sets of tires and a TPMS system. So I'm not sure exactly how that part goes when you swap the tires out. Vehicle came with (obviously) the regular tires I run in the summer. When I bought my winter tires last fall the TPMS was reset by the place I got them from so all was good all winter. Now that I am switching back to summers I assume the vehicle will need to relearn the tires?

I doubt the vehicle relearns by itself? I see you can buy the tools online but am not sure if just a generic one will work or if they are brand specific? So before I order one it would be good to know what type to get, a generic one would be great as it would also work on our GMC.

Vehicle is a 2018 Nissan.

I plan on doing the change myself.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #2011
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
So looking ahead to swapping back to summer tires. This is the first time I have ever had two sets of tires and a TPMS system. So I'm not sure exactly how that part goes when you swap the tires out. Vehicle came with (obviously) the regular tires I run in the summer. When I bought my winter tires last fall the TPMS was reset by the place I got them from so all was good all winter. Now that I am switching back to summers I assume the vehicle will need to relearn the tires?

I doubt the vehicle relearns by itself? I see you can buy the tools online but am not sure if just a generic one will work or if they are brand specific? So before I order one it would be good to know what type to get, a generic one would be great as it would also work on our GMC.

Vehicle is a 2018 Nissan.

I plan on doing the change myself.
I just stop at the dealership and they relearn the summer or winter tires. Takes about 5 minutes.
Some cars (my old Tacoma) had a button I held down and it would relearn automatically but most new ones require a tool. These can be bought online and you just pick your manufacturer and year and it will work.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #2012
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well... what do you guys think? Safe to put all-seasons back on?

… or did I just jinx it?
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #2013
rvd123
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Well... what do you guys think? Safe to put all-seasons back on?

… or did I just jinx it?
May long always snows.
rvd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #2014
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Swapping mine next weekend so there will be a blizzard.

We are getting new allseasons though so even though it's a little early we will manage.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #2015
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as I'm concerned, if you change your tires before May long weekend, you deserve what we all get.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #2016
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be fine. With any snow and with your 'judgement'.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #2017
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easter at the earliest folks. I only swapped one car early this year because I have another that I'll leave the winters on until May.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #2018
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Easter at the earliest folks. I only swapped one car early this year because I have another that I'll leave the winters on until May.
I think I might do that with my toy this weekend. Mostly because I bought some wheels off Kijiji I'm looking forward to putting on as I've never seen them on the car.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #2019
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have just bought a new-to-me vehicle, and we pick it up tomorrow with new winter tires on steel wheels with wheel covers. Also very new all-seasons/summers come with it, but unmounted.

I'll obviously need to put the summers on it ASAP, and I would also like to get them on their own rims. I would prefer alloys for my summers to be honest. Can anyone recommend a good place for alloys that won't break the bank? I don't need anything huge (16 x 6.5), fancy, or douchy. Just some budget alloys. I'm not opposed to buying online, but don't mind local either. I'll be calling around, but some recommendations would help steer me in the right direction. Steelies are going to cost me $60-ish anyway - is it realistic to think I could get some budget alloys in the ballpark of $100-120 per wheel?
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #2020
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I have just bought a new-to-me vehicle, and we pick it up tomorrow with new winter tires on steel wheels with wheel covers. Also very new all-seasons/summers come with it, but unmounted.

I'll obviously need to put the summers on it ASAP, and I would also like to get them on their own rims. I would prefer alloys for my summers to be honest. Can anyone recommend a good place for alloys that won't break the bank? I don't need anything huge (16 x 6.5), fancy, or douchy. Just some budget alloys. I'm not opposed to buying online, but don't mind local either. I'll be calling around, but some recommendations would help steer me in the right direction. Steelies are going to cost me $60-ish anyway - is it realistic to think I could get some budget alloys in the ballpark of $100-120 per wheel?
www.costco.ca
www.pmctire.ca
www.4tires.ca

They all carry similar brands and are in the "budget" alloy space. Plenty to choose from. I've been really happy with PMC tire and have gotten rims and rubbers from them in the last few years.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post: