Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #61
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was waiting for a great win to chime in here as well, as I have 2 ideas.

1. Very easy. Cup-holders. Give me a place to put my beer, and I'll jump and cheer for everything.

2. This is a suggestion to those of you going to the games: we need a contingent. I'm not sure if there's a bunch of you that sit near each other, but I've thought about this since they ran a profile on Section 303 in Nashville. They even have their chants online for people to rally before games:
https://section303.com/chants

But they have an incredibly engaged crowd, even outside the playoffs. SN did a piece on Mark Hollinsworth who started this thing amongst a much less engaged fanbase than we have now. Worth a watch if anyone feels like they're goofy and confident enough to get it going:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ing-to-behold/

I know the team on the ice makes it tough to engage, but there's chants for that too.
"Let's get moving *clap*. *clap*. *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*"
"Hey Flames! The game started! Get your ass in gear! Murray's awful *clap*. *clap*. *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*"

I mean... that would at least be fun, right?

You also wonder what impact that has on the players on the ice. Chicken v egg, but I wouldn't be too fired up playing in a library either. No player is ever going to say this, but I'm sure playing in front of a bunch of suits that are less interested in the game than they are their phone is much less exciting than a screaming fan-base urging you on.

I wonder how much is lip-service, but the players seem to be pretty aware of it in Nashville. I couldn't find an on-ice interview I swear existed (where I think it was Neal talking about how they hear the fans), but here's Laviolette talking a bit about it:

Edit, it was:

Edit again:
What interesting things to hear from Neal throughout that interview btw.

Last edited by Split98; 10-30-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #62
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Not when it comes to concerts. I've heard plenty of bands talk about how great Calgary crowds are in general and how loud they can be. Pearl Jam and Tom Petty being two of them.

From Dave Bidini's book "On a Cold Road":
Bidini's book was over 20 years ago, though. I think the crowds have changed since then.

and cupholders suck. especially if you have two beer.

takes away from room to rest your arm and having the beer that high just gets your arms wet (or legs as you try and get by a person)

if you can't clap, you can at least cheer while holding a beer.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote