Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #421
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone have any experience with the Sumosys 700? It's supposed to come with about 10,000 games from many different consoles preloaded.
https://www.sumosys.com

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #422
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Sumosys 700? It's supposed to come with about 10,000 games from many different consoles preloaded.
https://www.sumosys.com

My buddy bought one and got it last week. Some of the games are a bit glitchy and one controller has some issues, but overall he's quite happy with it for the cost
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 02:31 AM   #423
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Odyssey is freaking awesome.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #424
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
I think Odyssey is freaking awesome.
I agree. Super Mario Odyssey is freaking awesome.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #425
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
I agree. Super Mario Odyssey is freaking awesome.
I've actually been playing Mario Odyssey (my kid got into it) AND AC: Odyssey in recent weeks. They are both awesome.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #426
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Any of you guys ever watch the youtube channel Smoosh Games. They did a two year thing in GTA as the Carvengers that is actually pretty hilarious.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #427
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Assuming I wanted to play on my tv and not use my existing PC at all, what’s the best way to play Super Mario, Super Mario 3, Super Mario World and the Lost Levels?

I own no Nintendo consoles currently.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #428
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Assuming I wanted to play on my tv and not use my existing PC at all, what’s the best way to play Super Mario, Super Mario 3, Super Mario World and the Lost Levels?

Probably a Wii U, as they're not out for Switch yet AFAIK. I'd also pick up the beautiful classic Wii Pro Controller.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #429
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

On TV, a WiiU. Or a New 3DS/New 2DS if you're willing to give up the TV part. All four games are available on the virtual console for both.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 11:58 PM   #430
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Cheapest way would be to buy a Raspberri Pi for a RetroPie setup. The sumosys site linked earlier in the thread is just a pre-configured RetroPie build, it's cheaper doing it yourself but requires a bit more configuration, and then you have to find the roms
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #431
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There was some discussion about the new Assassin's Creed games. What the consensus on these two? It looks like both Origins and Oddessy will be on sale in the coming weeks and I was thinking about jumping back in. The last one I played was the last one in the Ezio trilogy. I liked the gameplay but I didn't follow the story too much (especially the whole dream or virtual reality business). Does that matter? Did they veer away from this whole story arc for the new games or is it the same in terms of story and gameplay?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #432
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Game of the year nominees from The Game Awards:
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
- Celeste
- God of War
- Marvel's Spider-Man
- Monster Hunter World
- Red Dead Redemption 2

https://thegameawards.com/awards/#game-of-the-year

Really glad to see Celeste on that list! It totally surprised me and is definitely my most played game this year. Celeste was also nominated for Best Music, Games for Impact, and Best Indie Game

Last edited by Mazrim; 11-14-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #433
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Spider-Man or Red Dead for me. I'd give the edge to Spider-Man. As beautiful and immersive as Red Dead is, I just couldn't put down Spider-Man.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #434
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finished Horizon: Zero Dawn. Great AAA-style, broad-appeal game. Don't know if it quite gets to Witcher 3's level, but it's definitely in contention. Only problem was that I did basically every side quest and part of Frozen Wilds before beating it and I was pretty over-leveled for the final fight, which...

Spoiler!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #435
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Spider-Man or Red Dead for me. I'd give the edge to Spider-Man. As beautiful and immersive as Red Dead is, I just couldn't put down Spider-Man.
I think about it this way - RDR2 is the better game but I had more fun playing Spider Man.

And for me I care less about the “art” of video game making and more about just having fun playing video games - so my vote is Spider Man too based on that.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #436
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I finished Horizon: Zero Dawn. Great AAA-style, broad-appeal game. Don't know if it quite gets to Witcher 3's level, but it's definitely in contention. Only problem was that I did basically every side quest and part of Frozen Wilds before beating it and I was pretty over-leveled for the final fight, which...

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #437
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised about the Spiderman love for GOTY. It's a fun game but to me it feels like a Spiderman coat on the same generic sandbox game we have played many times. I thought once the initial fun wears off the rest of the game is repetitive and been there done that. Still a quality effort but maybe not up to the standards of some of Insomniac's best games as I think Sunset Overdrive was actually more creative. RDR2 easily but the 2nd best game I played this year was Divinity Original Sin 2 but seeing it was released on PC a year ago it's really a 2018 game. I think God of War was my 3rd favourite followed by maybe Spiderman after that.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-14-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #438
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Monster Hunter World is still my favourite game of the year. I was straight up obsessed for like 2 months. Glad to see it getting some recognition, though I doubt it will win any main stream awards with all the big stuff that’s come out since.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #439
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
There was some discussion about the new Assassin's Creed games. What the consensus on these two? It looks like both Origins and Oddessy will be on sale in the coming weeks and I was thinking about jumping back in. The last one I played was the last one in the Ezio trilogy. I liked the gameplay but I didn't follow the story too much (especially the whole dream or virtual reality business). Does that matter? Did they veer away from this whole story arc for the new games or is it the same in terms of story and gameplay?
Oh yeah they've really cut out the modern storyline, its extremely minimal. You can exit out of the animus at any time and get to know the new modern day person (and look around the room for AC story Easter eggs), but it's completely optional. You basically spend 5min out of the animus in Origins storyline. You'll be just fine no worries there.

I'm an AC fan (and ancient Egypt/ancient Greece are my all-time favourite historical periods) so I'm biased, but I think they're great! They've completely overhauled combat it's more challenging and better now, though stealth (while still there) is a bit more minimized. Whether that's good or bad is personal preference. The second Origins DLC "Curse of the Pharaohs" was awesome too.

I'm really enjoying Odyssey to the point where I haven't even touched RDR2 in two weeks and have decided to put it off until I beat Odyssey...which may be a very long time, this game is MASSIVE. I'd recommend it if you liked AC before

EDIT: Also, Origins/Odyssey look fairly similar - aside from one is mostly desert and the other has lots of water - but the vibe is very different. Bayek in Origins is very serious, more like Altair and Connor in AC3. Whereas Odyssey is more light hearted with silly moments like the Ezio series. Just fyi

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-15-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #440
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should also add if you liked AC but haven't played since Ezio, you may want to check out Black Flag, it's regarded by some as the best in the series. But it's from 2013 so I'd play it first, as going from Origins/Odyssey to that and the graphics will obviously take a serious nosedive.

You can skip AC3, Unity and Syndicate. I actually enjoyed all 3 but they're not must-plays. I'd only recommend 3 if you were super into the Desmond Miles, modern day storyline from the Altair/Ezio AC games, as in AC3 it concludes that storyline.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote