Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #201
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Tuchel doesn't win UCL with PSG, I can definitely see them giving Mourinho the reins to try and get it done. I also think that he would go to a non-CL club (his first year at United was that after all), but obviously only if he'd be guaranteed huge backing. So maybe another sugar daddy club (Wolves?) will take the chance.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #202
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wolves is actually a good call. Mourinho is a Mendes client after all.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:38 AM   #203
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

what a weird, weird summer so far. Liverpool have more net spending than the next two teams combined, which are West Ham and Arsenal of all teams. Fulham has spent more money than United and Chelsea; Man City is in the bottom half of this table, Tottenham has spent nothing at all. Crazy stuff.

it's going to be fascinating to see how the next week unfolds.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #204
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
what a weird, weird summer so far. Liverpool have more net spending than the next two teams combined, which are West Ham and Arsenal of all teams. Fulham has spent more money than United and Chelsea; Man City is in the bottom half of this table, Tottenham has spent nothing at all. Crazy stuff.

Maybe a combination of the World Cup and the shortened window? I don’t know what to expect this week. Part of me could see a flurry of deals with big names involved and the other part could see very little.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #205
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah its going to be interesting for sure, but at the same time you see United, Spurs and City not spending much, but they finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd and City and United spent a lot in prior windows, they're probably pretty happy with their squads (regardless of what Mourinho would have you believe) and really are only looking for little tweaks here and there which makes sense.

United still reportedly have a few irons in the fire and City seem set, which, when you consider they ran away with the title last season why shouldnt they be?

Chelsea are the really interesting situation as they are seriously overhauling their squad and potentially losing a lot of good players.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #206
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Maybe a combination of the World Cup and the shortened window? I don’t know what to expect this week. Part of me could see a flurry of deals with big names involved and the other part could see very little.
yeah it's weird, the shortened window certainly hasn't had the effect I expected it to have. I think managers and fans alike expected deals to be done more quickly and earlier in the window, but it really hasn't happened at all. It somehow feels like everybody is waiting for something. I don't know, I wouldn't even be surprised if there weren't a lot of deals next week either. Just feels like a slow transfer summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah its going to be interesting for sure, but at the same time you see United, Spurs and City not spending much, but they finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd and City and United spent a lot in prior windows, they're probably pretty happy with their squads (regardless of what Mourinho would have you believe) and really are only looking for little tweaks here and there which makes sense.
City sure. They spent a ####load of money over the last two summers and they really don't need a lot. The others, I'm not so sure. United has undoubtedly a number of holes in the squad. Spurs have done well to keep the band together again, so yeah, maybe Poch is happy with that.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #207
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

There also has to be some market correction as well given how stupid the last couple windows have been. Selling teams are still asking for the moon, but buying teams are a lot more weary, especially PL teams since it seems clear now there is a tax on English teams buying since they have more money. It's also worth noting that had they not had Jorginho hijacked from them, City would be sitting second on the table despite not needing to spend a cent this summer.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #208
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
City sure. They spent a ####load of money over the last two summers and they really don't need a lot. The others, I'm not so sure. United has undoubtedly a number of holes in the squad. Spurs have done well to keep the band together again, so yeah, maybe Poch is happy with that.
Okay, this thread has been a bit touchy at times and I'm not trying to exacerbate that, you know when I'm being funny.

But United seem really disorganized.

I dont think I could place their best XI, they still have a good squad, a really good squad.

Normally teams have rotations and you know which core group are going to start against big clubs, which group will play the Caribou Cup, which XI in the Champions' League, etc, but United's squad seems kind of all over the place.

But the fact remains that they did finish 2nd, but its hard to place much value on that because 1st was done and dusted really early so winning the league didnt really matter it was more about jockeying for top 4 spots and CL performance so the conclusions that you can draw based on last seasons placings are somewhat flawed.

I think this upcoming season is going to be wild. I still think City are the class of the league but United could perform better or worse and I think the same can be said of Arsenal and Spurs and Liverpool and Chelsea are just complete wildcards.

My own insane prediction is that Liverpool are going to go for broke for the Champions' League this year. With the revamp of Real Madrid and Barca being more or less stagnant they could make a go of it.

That window that has been dominated by Spain seems as open as its ever going to be.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #209
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
While I agree that his ego would be limiting, I think his international options would be limited when it comes to nations that have Champions League level prestige. I can't see the likes of Brazil, France, Germany or Italy taking a punt on him.

In my last post, I was actually referring to clubs outside of Europe when I mentioned international options. I didn't even link Jose with non-club football.
I think he manages portugal sooner than later

Be surprised if he isnt in charge by 2026 world cup
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #210
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burnley are apparently signing Joe Hart. Bit of a head scratcher, Nick Pope was great last year and they have Tom Heaton too. Makes no sense.

They are also signing Ben Gibson from Boro, that one's a great piece of business I think. Same goes for Alfie Mawson, who's signing for Fulham.

EDIT: ah, just saw that Pope has picked up a shoulder injury and will miss several months. Completely missed that, sucks for him.

Last edited by devo22; 08-03-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #211
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think burnleys top 3 goalies are injured? They asked for special permission to register an additional goalie for their uefa tie coming up..
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #212
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

step aside, Lionel Nessie and Kingsley - there's a new greatest mascot in town.

Quote:
West Brom's start to life in the EFL Championship may have begun with a defeat to Bolton, but their opening day of the season was not a total disappointment. Saturday's game at The Hawthorns saw the club unveil 'Boiler Man', West Brom's new mascot following their sponsorship deal with Hull-based company Ideal Boilers.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1025816093145919488
https://twitter.com/user/status/1025812099979726849
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #213
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really? I dont even know what to say.

Its a Boiler.

Have they perhaps considered a bit of market research?

Old 08-05-2018, 03:46 AM   #214
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

More and more rumblings that Alderweireld to United going to happen after all.

Would have been happy with Maguire too, but I'm glad if they get Alderweireld. Just glad they don't waste money on Mina or Boateng. Toby will probably cost around 60m, but hey, that's the CB market that Liverpool have set. Plus, if they can offload Rojo to Everton for ~30m (as has been reported), then it's not a huge deal. I'll take Alderweireld for Rojo+30m any day.

Still unsure what happens with Martial. United have put a 70m price tag on him and ruled out selling him to a PL rival, according to a recent Telegraph article. But who knows. He's not in the squad for today's match against Bayern Munich.

Last edited by devo22; 08-05-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #215
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More and more rumblings that Alderweireld to United going to happen after all.

Would have been happy with Maguire too, but I'm glad if they get Alderweireld. Just glad they don't waste money on Mina or Boateng. Toby will probably cost around 60m, but hey, that's the CB market that Liverpool have set. Plus, if they can offload Rojo to Everton for ~30m (as has been reported), then it's not a huge deal. I'll take Alderweireld for Rojo+30m any day.

Still unsure what happens with Martial. United have put a 70m price tag on him and ruled out selling him to a PL rival, according to a recent Telegraph article. But who knows. He's not in the squad for today's match against Bayern Munich.
On the one hand I dont want to see United get Alderweireld but on the other if Everton waste £30M on Rojo it might make me smile.

Did Martial head back? I figured once he left for home he wouldnt come back.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #216
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

he did return to training a couple of days ago, but him not being in the Munich squad isn't a good sign.

I'm just praying they don't do anything stupid (e.g. trade him for Willian) ...

Last edited by devo22; 08-05-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #217
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice start to the new season.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #218
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

absolutely pathetic display against Bayern. Played like a small team fearing relegation and tried to defend a 0-1 loss. Embarrassing.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #219
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it common for managers to #### talk their boards like Mourinho is doing?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #220
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
absolutely pathetic display against Bayern. Played like a small team fearing relegation and tried to defend a 0-1 loss. Embarrassing.
Not even a shot on goal. I cant wait for Mourinho's presser.

That being said, that looked like a much better Bayern team, but United werent even trying.

You cant look too much into pre-season games, but what does he expect his board to do? Spend a couple hundred million by the end of the week?

This looks like the Antonio Conte strategy....bad mouth your club until you get fired.