Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #21
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Outside of trading Brouwer, which seems unlikely at this point, the only roster moves, that seem feasible, are trading Stajan or demoting Freddie.

I can see why both moves are difficult to make considering Stajan is loved by his teammates and if an injury or two at centre occurs it would be nice to have Stajan as a safety net, given his ample experience, even though you do have Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, Jankowski, Lazar and Hamilton all with the ability to play there. On the other side of it Freddie is fine being a player that rarely plays and his brother is another aspect that should still be considered even if not all that much.

You don't want to have a player like Lazar as your 13/14th forward as he needs to play to develop and players like Brouwer and Stajan might not be overly thrilled about being put in that position. Furthermore, in Brouwers case you need to let him play because he is still one of the best 12 we have at the moment and you don't want to diminish him as an asset any more than has already been done.

If it was my decision, much like Haynes, I would go with:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Versteeg
Ferland-Lazar-Brouwer
Glass/Hamilton

Stajan is important to the team but if Jankowski is on the team you don't have enough regular spots for him, Lazar, Brouwer and Stajan. Jankowski and Lazar need to play and Brouwer is here whether we like it or not. These are our best 12 forwards.

As much as I've liked Glass in the limited role he has been given Jankowski should have been the priority. I will give Treliving the benifit of the doubt and assume he is working hard on a solution but Jank needs to be up here by the 10 game mark, in my opinion, for this to not be deemed a miscue.
Glass has been very good playing his role to a tee. Hitting, chirping and just being a nasty presence. Really can't see moving him if he can keep up the effort. Like that they are shifting around the fourth line types as well. Brouwer is playing way better than last year. He is physical again and good on the PK and the PP. Hamilton works as the extra / Stajan is the move but they can't shaft the guy after his years of service. Trading him seems tough but they could make a move for a similar guy they have no connection with and the dump him.

Last edited by St. Pats; 10-15-2017 at 07:50 PM.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #22
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Stajan contract is setup so he can't really get shafted as it is a NTC of some form? So would he have to volunteer for a trade? Why would he want to uproot his family? Would he sacrifice his NTC so Flames could field a better team? Doubtful, best case is he is utilized throughout the season for injury relief, positionally not dressed when it makes most sense.

That being said, he's really done well when he was re-purposed on the fourth line. Very scrappy, fights for pucks, good in that face off and PK.

I'm extremely happy to see Brouwer actually moving, making smart plays, finishing off some big checks. Hopefully he continues this level of play.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #23
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone have any fancy stats on our fourth line? They seem to be winning battles nightly. Stajan and Brouwer are too expensive...but at least they're good in their current role. I think??
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:19 PM   #24
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
This Dougie needs Freddie business is a bunch of BS and I don't believe it for a second. If he needs his brother around fine, but he doesn't need him on the roster. Live with him, travel with the team, cook for him, do his laundry for him, whatever... but a GM can, and should draw the line at a roster spot. If the GM doesn't, it says more about the GM than the guy who needs his brother around.
Since he's under contract, he either has to be on the roster or in Stockton. He cannot live with his brother, travel with him, cook for him, or any of those other things, without being on the NHL roster.

Next idea?
Old 10-15-2017, 11:31 PM   #25
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The Stajan contract is setup so he can't really get shafted as it is a NTC of some form? So would he have to volunteer for a trade? Why would he want to uproot his family? Would he sacrifice his NTC so Flames could field a better team? Doubtful, best case is he is utilized throughout the season for injury relief, positionally not dressed when it makes most sense.

That being said, he's really done well when he was re-purposed on the fourth line. Very scrappy, fights for pucks, good in that face off and PK.

I'm extremely happy to see Brouwer actually moving, making smart plays, finishing off some big checks. Hopefully he continues this level of play.

Stajan's NTC contract has him submitting a 10 team list that he cannot be traded to.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 420since1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 11:31 PM   #26
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Send him to Stockton?

Referring to Freddie Hamilton.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 10-15-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #27
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Dougie-Freddie thing is a bit of strange factor with this team. Using up a roster spot for it would be just plain dumb - although it does appear to look like that's what is happening.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #28
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Since he's under contract, he either has to be on the roster or in Stockton. He cannot live with his brother, travel with him, cook for him, or any of those other things, without being on the NHL roster.

Next idea?
Stockton it is then.

If Treliving was aware that Dougie couldn't get along without his brother, and he didn't want to get into whatever mess might come with assigning Freddie to Stockton (pisssing off Dougie, Freddie not reporting, who knows), he should have been bought out to free him from the obligation to report to Stockton. As I said, the line should be drawn at a roster spot.

If this is a real thing, the bottom line is that the Flames shouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. If Freddie was signed to appease Dougie, it is a failing on the part of Treliving.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #29
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just waive Freddie and send him to Stockton. This notion that Dougie needs Freddie with the Flames and that this has to be a package deal is absolutely stupid.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #30
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Freddie/Dougie talk about them being inseperable has got to stop. The ONLY place this seems to be mentioned in on CalgaryPuck. A couple of posters ran with it, and now it's ''news''. I'd like to see a single quote from a reputable source saying the reason Freddie is here is because of Dougie. I'm willing to bet not a single person will find a single shred of evidence, because that evidence DOES NOT EXIST. Why some people continue to run with it and make it a thing blows my mind.

One thing I've learned over the years is that fans are almost always wrong when it comes to things going behind the scenes. This is one of those times. Find me a single shred of evidence that Treliving keeps Freddie on the team simply to appease Dougie and I'll gladly eat crow on it. Christ, they don't even play together. This isn't a Sedin situation where their chemistry is undeniable. One is a top pairing D. The other is a 12/13 forward. Some people really think that Dougie looks at himself in the mirror and tells himself he's a better player because his brother is in the lineup? That when Dougie scores, it's because of the Freddie effect?

100% ridiculous.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #31
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why would anyone want Janko to be in F. Hamilton's spot. Hamilton has played 1 game out of 6!
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #32
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Why would anyone want Janko to be in F. Hamilton's spot. Hamilton has played 1 game out of 6!
No one wants Janko to come up to regularly rot in the pressbox. That's poppycock.

Janko will take someone's spot in the lineup soon (or later), Stajan will probably be relegated to being an extra forward for most of the rest of this season when Janko arrives, and Freddie will hit the waivers and go to Stockton.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post
Stajan's NTC contract has him submitting a 10 team list that he cannot be traded to.
I would think Stajan would waive for almost any team - he's a good team guy. It's less than a full season at this point, his family wouldn't have to move and it doesn't change his off-season options. His boy isn't school age so even if they decided to move for the season, it's not as big a deal.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #34
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No specific quotes but I have heard members of the media talk about it (definitely on the radio). But there is no evidence because the Flames haven't put out a release on the subject.

But Freddie getting a one way deal was bizarre at the time with how he hadn't proven anything, and now when he is beaten out clearly for the roster position based on talent and ability it doesn't matter. Just lots of rationalizing about not wanting other players to sit in the press box, and the team ends up icing less than their best team.

The team has admitted Jankowski deserves to be in the NHL. There is no smoking gun, but it seems pretty obvious that Freddie isn't on the roster because he is the 13 best forward.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #35
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I would think Stajan would waive for almost any team - he's a good team guy. It's less than a full season at this point, his family wouldn't have to move and it doesn't change his off-season options. His boy isn't school age so even if they decided to move for the season, it's not as big a deal.

That is easy for you to say. It is probably much more difficult for a player and his family with deep community roots staring down the inevitable end of his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That is easy for you to say. It is probably much more difficult for a player and his family with deep community roots staring down the inevitable end of his career.
I know it's easy for me to say. That said, I think Stajan is a good guy and he'd try to help the team. The way I look at it, as of the end of this season he has no contract, so he either has to sign with another team or re-sign with Calgary (or retire). So at this point a trade has much less impact on him than it would have last year or the year before.

Plus, for the rest of the season he'd almost certainly be playing for a team that's PO bound and which wanted to put him in a useful role. If he's wanting to extend the career, he needs to be showcased. Also, he's so close to 1000 games, he may want a team that's not going to sit him, like last game.

ETA: I bet a lot of the teams he'd name on a NTC list wouldn't be a trade destination anyway.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He and is wife have been living in Calgary for the last nine years and actively involved in the community. It's probably going to be difficult for them to just pick up and move. His career is coming to a close and it's a matter of if he and his family want to move around year to year in situations where he may have to accept PTO's. I wouldn't be surprised if the organization hires him back in some capacity when he retires.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He and is wife have been living in Calgary for the last nine years and actively involved in the community. It's probably going to be difficult for them to just pick up and move. His career is coming to a close and it's a matter of if he and his family want to move around year to year in situations where he may have to accept PTO's. I wouldn't be surprised if the organization hires him back in some capacity when he retires.
That's what I'm saying. If this is it for Stajan career wise, it's probably only a temporary move for him only (not his wife). I wouldn't be fussed if he signs a minimum deal here next year and becomes a utility extra guy. I suppose it's probably offside some rule, but that'd be something I'd mention if I'm convincing him to accept a trade.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #39
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I know it's easy for me to say. That said, I think Stajan is a good guy and he'd try to help the team. The way I look at it, as of the end of this season he has no contract, so he either has to sign with another team or re-sign with Calgary (or retire). So at this point a trade has much less impact on him than it would have last year or the year before.

Plus, for the rest of the season he'd almost certainly be playing for a team that's PO bound and which wanted to put him in a useful role. If he's wanting to extend the career, he needs to be showcased. Also, he's so close to 1000 games, he may want a team that's not going to sit him, like last game.

ETA: I bet a lot of the teams he'd name on a NTC list wouldn't be a trade destination anyway.
I think your over-valuing Stajan. I doubt Stajan will be traded because it's unlikely there will be much or any demand for him at the deadline. If other teams think he could be a useful depth centerman for them then surely the Flames would keep him around for the playoffs in case injuries occur.

95% likely he will finish the season with the Flames and his NHL career will most likely be done after that. By the end of this season he will have played around 1000 NHL games. A very solid NHL career.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I think your over-valuing Stajan. I doubt Stajan will be traded because it's unlikely there will be much or any demand for him at the deadline. If other teams think he could be a useful depth centerman for them then surely the Flames would keep him around for the playoffs in case injuries occur.

95% likely he will finish the season with the Flames and his NHL career will most likely be done after that. By the end of this season he will have played around 1000 NHL games. A very solid NHL career.
I have no view on whether Stajan will be traded. I agree he's not the most sought after commodity, although a depth centre isn't useless at all, and I think he's underrated here. If he is, it's either for a PO bound team stocking up or along with someone else that they want as a kicker to dump the salary.

What I'm stating are the reasons that, if such a trade is constructed, he could be convinced to waive his NTC (assuming it's to one of the 10 teams on his list which is quite doubtful anyway).