Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:
Default Driving a slow car fast (e.g. Abarth) VS Driving a fast car slow

Okay, last week I took a wicked little car on a test drive. I've always preferred pure horsepower over handling (it can be very expensive if you want both). For example, my daily driver is an AWD 340 HP 300C and my fun car is a Mustang GT. Neither one of those cars is known for being very nimble, but they can accelerate like mad.

Anyway, I test drove a Fiat 500 Abarth. The base Fiat 500 has 100 horsepower or something, there is a Turbo with 130 horsepower, then there is the Abarth with 160 horsepower. 0-60 is nothing to write home about at 6.7 seconds, but peppy for sure. I think this is one of those cars that the 0-60 doesn't do it justice, though.

It's a blast to drive this thing. Corners are fun, the sound is cool (the exhaust snaps, crackles and occasionally backfires), the interior is fun and roomy enough for a 6'3" dude like me. It's only available in stick, which is awesome. I think you can get into one for less than $30K, although I'd only buy one used in a few years for ~$10K.

Pic:
Spoiler!

Commercial with hot chick:

Exhaust clip (I promise this doesn't come close to doing it justice):

In a way, I think it'd be more fun driving this around town in a relatively legal fashion versus driving a super car around town using only about 15% of its potential. What do you guys think of this thing? Any other fun little cars like this that you'd probably get more out of than something that is technically better on paper?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I drive a car to get from one place to another, in a reasonably reliable and affordable fashion. In that respect, this makes a lot more sense to me than a 'super car', whatever that means.

However, I can think of a dozen or so cars off the top of my head that are far better at that, compared to this car.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Pilsner12
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

At first glance I would lump people that drive them with the same group that drives Mini Coopers, Smart Cars and others of the sort. Not to offend anyone who drives any of those but there seems to be certain traits and similarities to those that do.
Pilsner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsner12 View Post
At first glance I would lump people that drive them with the same group that drives Mini Coopers, Smart Cars and others of the sort. Not to offend anyone who drives any of those but there seems to be certain traits and similarities to those that do.

Comparing Mini drivers to Smart drivers? Ironhorse is going to murder you in your sleep

One of those is performance oriented, one is the furthest from it.

To answer the question, I think it's personal preference. I would love both handling and power, but especially with the other car you have, you could have one more powerful touring car, and one more fun, throw-it-around go-kart car. That seems like a pretty good combo.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Great car for city driving - Pretty quick, nimble, and I'd imagine decent mileage. I would definitely drive on as my daily driver.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
However, I can think of a dozen or so cars off the top of my head that are far better at that, compared to this car.
Seems like a dubious claim to make if you have not test driven the Abarth.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Indeed. This is why go karting is so fun
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of my favorite cars I have owned was my 03 Mazda P5. They really do know how to translate zoom zoom into fun handling.

I've had camaro's and mustangs, love the acceleration, but handling is way more fun, and you don't get as many tickets!
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I generally prefer handling and agility to the straight line rockets that are pigs in the twistys.

Years ago I had a 924s, which on paper was pretty close to the Fiat (0-60 around 7 sec), but it certainly had enough pep and could lose a lot of other cars on the road at the time once I got into the corners. That thing was super fun.

That being said, something that can handle the corners AND throw you back in your seat is pretty fun too...

Looks wise, I think the Fiats are pretty cool for a small car. My ex had one for a rental car in Victoria a few years ago and she had a blast in it.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Seems like a dubious claim to make if you have not test driven the Abarth.
I was referring to the affordable part. Test drive or not, I can look at the price tag.

I assume pretty much any car I bought new could provide adequate ability to get myself to work etc without any major reliability concerns.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
One of my favorite cars I have owned was my 03 Mazda P5. They really do know how to translate zoom zoom into fun handling.
I was just coming in to post about this. I had a Protege 5 for a few years, and that thing was awesome. Not a ton of power, but you just kept that thing mashed all the time, and it was a great time.

I'm a huge fan of slow car fast...especially in the city. You can wail on them as much as you want and never really get into troubnle. And if you have skinny tires, it's even better, because it feels faster and more dangerous. Having fun is all about the feeling a car gives you. Powerful cars in the city kind of suck...but the time you have it to a fun speed, you are over the limit or get into traffic.

I think an Abarth would be a hell of a great city car...especially since its small sizes gives you all the other advantages in the city (parking, small size to get in and out of placeS). If I had to commute, that would be one car I'd love to drive.

Quote:
What an ignorant thing to say. You have clearly not driven a Mini or an Abarth.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

You certainly can have power and handling for cheap. Buy a VW GTI. Stock they are pretty quick, spend $800 bucks on an APR tune though, and you will be taking out BMW 335's and Porsche Boxster's.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
You certainly can have power and handling for cheap. Buy a VW GTI. Stock they are pretty quick, spend $800 bucks on an APR tune though, and you will be taking out BMW 335's and Porsche Boxster's.
Not in the handling department. At least not as far as the Boxster is concerned.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's why we love our MINI Cooper S so much. In JCW trim, it puts out over 200 BHP and goes in and out of corners like the dickens. Off ramps and on ramps are particularly fun, especially if there is an extra curve in them. It is amazing just how connected you feel with the road. The interior is great & very functional, and space is plentiful for a small car; the exhaust also crackles and pops on the overrun, but with a deeper note than the Abarth.

Ya, it's not a Smart car.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our 2012 GTI is the best daily driver we've owned, my wife and I fight over who gets it. For the money they are one of the best cars out there, you'd have to spend nearly twice as much to get a comparable. I've had a handful of straight line rockets, but they are pretty overrated and cost too much compared to the fun factor.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Abarth has a fantastic exhaust note too. Nice throaty sound with those great pops...not unlike a poor-mans Ferrari.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #18
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pylon, have you ever had a Golf R come through your shop? Curious how that thing compares to the GTI.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

We drove a GTI alongside the Cooper S around 2007. While the GTI was fun enough to drive, it felt sluggish going into the corners compared to the MINI and not nearly as smooth. The extra power was not really usable. The Audi A3 was comparable to an old Buick when it came to tight handling, very soft and squishy.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Driving a Golf TDI right now and it's a helluva lot of fun to drive. A tonne of kick off the line and it handles awesome.
iggyformayor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggyformayor For This Useful Post:

Tags
abarth