Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #541
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I'll be damned, would you look at that.....

I must have had bad timing. I've tried a few times in the past and always got the message stating I can't use a VPN.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #542
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I use IPVanish and find eastern servers, like Atlanta, tends to work for me. Western never seems to.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #543
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried again last night and not working again. I can connect but if I try to start playing a show with a message that says I need to shut down my VPN.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #544
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

$40 US per year, or $70 for 2 years. They have apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android, and have servers around the world including 3 in Canada (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal). I use it to watch DirectTV NOW on my Nvidia Shield box and it works great. They also have browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome so you can run only a browser window through VPN while the rest of your traffic stays local
Does their service support configuring a router to connect without their software? I poked around the FAQ and Technical KB, didn't find anything.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #545
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is shaw ever going to get wireless boxes, how are they so far behind the times
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #546
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Tried again last night and not working again. I can connect but if I try to start playing a show with a message that says I need to shut down my VPN.
Try different servers. You should be able to switch (by city possibly), Netflix has certain IP ranges flagged, that list changes all the time. You just need to find an IP that hasn't been tagged by their system yet
Old 11-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #547
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Does their service support configuring a router to connect without their software? I poked around the FAQ and Technical KB, didn't find anything.
They officially support custom router firmware like DD-WRT and Tomato

https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...-are-supported
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #548
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
They officially support custom router firmware like DD-WRT and Tomato

https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...-are-supported
Ahh, got it.

I was interested in seeing if it could be set up on my Ubiquiti UniFi Access Gateway. Turns out it is possible as the USG can be configured as an OpenVPN client. There is some fussing about with the config.gateway.json file that needs to be done to get it to work, however. Good to know either way.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #549
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is anyone on a better deal for internet 150 than $74/month for two years? We had them match a telus deal last year for $50 but they wouldn't budge below the $74 this year.

Also, my desktop computer that is CONNECTED to the modem only gets 13mbps on google's speed test, yet the shaw speed test says 150-170 mbps. The same is true on 5g wifi on my phone (sitting beside the modem). My streaming, downloading, and gaming speeds appear much closer to the former, yet all shaw did was reset and replace the modem and didn't have any other answers. They said the shaw speed test is fine.

Is there anything else I can try?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #550
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A stab in the dark but are you using a VPN? Some speed tests will try to infer your location from your IP and use a nearby server. If you are using a VPN, the speed test site might match you to a server in a different country which will affect your speed. Shaws speed test likely just uses a local server so unaffected by your IP.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #551
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe that Shaw's speed test is powered by Speedtest.net, but likely just uses Shaw's own server. Going to the Speedtest.net site directly will let you try a few different servers so you can truly test your speeds to servers outside of Shaw's network.

Edit: For what it's worth, I got approx. 175/16 from Speedtest.net on a non-Shaw server, nearly the exact same on Shaw's speed test, and 165/15 on Google's speed test. All while over 5G wifi and also streaming an HD show simultaneously from the BBC. I subscribe to 150/15, but I always test well above 150.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 11-14-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #552
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

https://speedof.me/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #553
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Is anyone on a better deal for internet 150 than $74/month for two years? We had them match a telus deal last year for $50 but they wouldn't budge below the $74 this year.

Also, my desktop computer that is CONNECTED to the modem only gets 13mbps on google's speed test, yet the shaw speed test says 150-170 mbps. The same is true on 5g wifi on my phone (sitting beside the modem). My streaming, downloading, and gaming speeds appear much closer to the former, yet all shaw did was reset and replace the modem and didn't have any other answers. They said the shaw speed test is fine.

I have slightly better at $68/mo for 2 years. When my original 150 promo was up they called asking me to re-sign for the same price, and I said I was going to Teksavvy instead for $70/mo. Then they offered to beat it by 2 bucks and it was a no brainer
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #554
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
No, sadly there is not. It's one of the many reasons I dislike bluesky. The voice search function is kind of neat but the system as a whole is garbage. I have to re-boot mine almost monthly. For a system that has been out for as long is it has, it's polish is very poor. Do not recommend.
Feel the need to update this. Turns our the system was suffering from a bad cable possibly. After a number of Shaw techs came and went, finally got a senior guy who changed out a cable. He also changed out the main box to a 4k one. Not sure if it was all the cable or maybe we had a dud main box but our issues are now gone.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #555
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I'm at $63. I was initially quoted $58 but they rescinded on that in the same phone call
Old 11-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #556
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
A stab in the dark but are you using a VPN? Some speed tests will try to infer your location from your IP and use a nearby server. If you are using a VPN, the speed test site might match you to a server in a different country which will affect your speed. Shaws speed test likely just uses a local server so unaffected by your IP.
No VPN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
5g wifi was 92 mbps but desktop only gets to 21 mbps..

It's an older desktop but would that really affect it when it's hardwired internet?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #557
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No VPN!

5g wifi was 92 mbps but desktop only gets to 21 mbps..

It's an older desktop but would that really affect it when it's hardwired internet?
Usually hardwired is better, but depending on the age of your desktop, it could be a number of things. The network adapter may limit you to 100 Mbps if it isn't a gigabit card, but I would still expect to see it faster than 21. It could be misconfigured, you could have a faulty cat5 cable, there could be something in between like a switch that is causing trouble. It could also be the Shaw router, which are notorious for providing bad wifi, although I wouldn't expect it to be that poor if hardwired.

The next thing I would try is another device (if possible) hardwired to the modem/router, and work backwards from there. If it persists, try a different cable. Etc.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #558
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Usually hardwired is better, but depending on the age of your desktop, it could be a number of things. The network adapter may limit you to 100 Mbps if it isn't a gigabit card, but I would still expect to see it faster than 21. It could be misconfigured, you could have a faulty cat5 cable, there could be something in between like a switch that is causing trouble. It could also be the Shaw router, which are notorious for providing bad wifi, although I wouldn't expect it to be that poor if hardwired.

The next thing I would try is another device (if possible) hardwired to the modem/router, and work backwards from there. If it persists, try a different cable. Etc.
Thanks. I've ruled out the cable and the modem so far. I do wonder if this coaxial outlet may have an issue? I feel like that would slow the wifi too though, not just the hard wired internet. I've also updated a network driver so maybe it's the desktop itself.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:24 AM   #559
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I've had no internet or TV at home for 14 hours. Definitely the worst outage I've ever seen from Shaw, so something must have broken hard in the SW. https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-17638

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #560
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Shaw has some Cyber Monday deals going on till the end of the month.
$60 for 150
$78 for 300
for 2 year contracts for new customers. However, I'm currently under 150 no contract, and was able to get the rates when i threatened to leave.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote