Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #4761
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
So he's a HUGE FA but there won't be a ton of teams lining up to sign him either. Okay.
There might be teams but I think few as most have starting goalies, which I asked to be named and appreciate. However, then I wanted to know why these other teams have a better chance of signing him than Calgary.

My question was on the NYI getting a high profile FA, it hasn't happened very often. I credited them on being a big NY market with a chance but then also mentioned my other statement.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #4762
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
A lot of players look to lifestyle at the back half of their career, too - it's why San Jose gets a long look by players.
That 13 million Sharks offer to John Tavares must've been hard to turn down.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #4763
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Flyers - different management team (and ownership for that matter) from when he was moved. Pretty sure $8M+ heals any old wounds
NYI - Ladd may have been the last big name FA but again, they'll have plenty of money to lure him over

And those are just 2 examples. Vancouver could offer big money, Carolina could swing it, point being he won't need to feel panicked about not landing somewhere that he isn't making at least the same money he did in Columbus.
True... but how often are you wanting to go back to a job where you weren't appreciated even if there is new management? Not saying this is the case for Bobrovsky, but think about your worst employer. I personally would not so you are a better person than I am.

I appreciate you providing me with a list of teams and they all make sense. But we really don't know what type of money all of these teams will be offering. Sure, he might not want to make less than he is currently making and that points makes sense (even though I disagree and think he wants a long-term deal that will be worth less).

However, there is no point arguing further about that. I am curious to know (not saying you have this opinion) why any of these teams have a better chance signing him if money is equal? More for discussion to sign him in the off-season if he is available..
Old 11-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #4764
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ The money wouldn't be equal. That's what free agency is all about. Playing teams against each other to drive up your price.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #4765
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
There might be teams but I think few as most have starting goalies, which I asked to be named and appreciate. However, then I wanted to know why these other teams have a better chance of signing him than Calgary.

My question was on the NYI getting a high profile FA, it hasn't happened very often. I credited them on being a big NY market with a chance but then also mentioned my other statement.
High profile UFAs as big as Bob don't happen that often period. They usually get re-signed first.

I wonder if San Jose would try to move Jones and get Bob. Thornton comes off their books next year, but they also have to try and re-sign Karlsson. They also have to figure out whether to re-sign Pavelski and for what.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #4766
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ The money wouldn't be equal. That's what free agency is all about. Playing teams against each other to drive up your price.
In that case, I think the Flames have a fantastic chance to sign him unless they want to continue being mediocre and battling for that last final playoff spot for more seasons.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #4767
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ But you suggested he would sign at $500k less than he makes now. Which is why we're having this discussion to begin with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #4768
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ But you suggested he would sign at $500k less than he makes now. Which is why we're having this discussion to begin with.
That is correct and I said we have different opinions and I might not be accurate. We are probably not going to go anywhere continuing to argue about whether or not an opinion is accurate. You may be right and he wants to sign for a lot more than he currently makes as I have no way to discredit that. It's human nature and of course he would but my argument was that I don't think many teams would want to take the risk at such a high cap hit.

If your opinion is accurate (which it can be), then it's mostly about the money. That's why I wanted to discuss that further and believe Calgary has a very good chance to offer up whatever he wants then.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #4769
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
That 13 million Sharks offer to John Tavares must've been hard to turn down.

Not as hard as some think - Sportsnet article on Tavares

A main selling point was keeping the big 3 - Matthews, Marner, & Nylander.
"No, that came down to the roster. On the podcast, Dubas gave his highly quoted answer to the question of whether or not he could keep all four of Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares: “We can… and we will.” Tavares demanded that commitment. If he was going to make the leap, he craved assurances the team would not go backward."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #4770
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On Bobrovsky - my question is why would he sign for anything less than what Lundqvist makes?

Bobrovsky is currently the third highest paid (by cap hit) goalie (according to Capfriendly) Why would he sign with the Flames to be the 8th highest paid goalie? My agent leaves more than $1 a year on the table, I suddenly have a new agent.

Also, I would not rule out NYI as the front runner for his services (via trade or FA). They have something most teams can't match - a very large, thriving, nearby, Russian ex-pat community. That's a factor.

Anyone who wants Bobrovsky is paying - $8.5 is the starting point.

Last edited by Bleeding Red; 11-13-2018 at 10:00 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #4771
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not a trade rumour but, a couple Swedes are heading home.

Michael Lindqvist (NYR) and Dennis Everberg (WPG)

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...92383407448065
Old 11-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #4772
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Not a trade rumour but, a couple Swedes are heading home.

Michael Lindqvist (NYR) and Dennis Everberg (WPG)

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...92383407448065
Old 11-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #4773
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Would anyone do this:

Stone to Edm
Lucic (50%) retained to Cgy
Old 11-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #4774
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Milan has 4 more years left and his numbers have progressively got worse the last 4 years. That's gonna be a Randy Jackson no for me dawg.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #4775
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic would be a 3rd/4th line player and would bump Hathaway out of the lineup.

I think he is salvageable but has to be paid and deployed in a bottom 6 role.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #4776
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. Massive no.

Aside from his absolute joke of contract and the fact that it's almost buyout proof, with the game he now has he really should not even be in the NHL anymore as his skills have deteriorated so bad he is beyond salvation.

He can't shoot, pass, stick handle, nor especially even skate at any sort of NHL level anymore. Lucic is done as an NHL calibre player.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #4777
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lucic? Lol oilers self kill their own cap structure and someone wants the flames to bail them out? come on.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #4778
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Lucic would be a 3rd/4th line player and would bump Hathaway out of the lineup.

I think he is salvageable but has to be paid and deployed in a bottom 6 role.
He’s not effective in a bottom six role on the Oilers, so why would he be effective here?

Hathaway is arguably better than Lucic right now. Nobody is taking a flyer on that contract even at 50% retained. Insanity.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #4779
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn't do it for 100% retained.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #4780
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't know why some people think Lucic has anything left to give at an NHL level. He's finished. Done like dinner.
Closed Thread