Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against Calgary hosting the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games?
I am for Calgary hosting 285 55.66%
I am against Calgary hosting 227 44.34%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #801
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would vote yes, because it seems like 500 mill + has to be spent renovating a lot of the sports facilities anyways.

I'm admittedly uninformed. Is there something wrong with this logic?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #802
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m in the construction industry so I’m a yes vote for the simple fact that we can get funds from both the Provincal and Federal governments which we otherwise wouldn’t get that can help generate further work for guys like myself. If I have to pay some higher taxes which don’t really add up to a whole bunch out of my pocket to have more work so be it.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #803
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I want the no side to win.

It would be a nightmare if there were cost over runs and Calgarians decided to move to High River to escape the higher taxes. I like my small town the way it is
Old 11-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #804
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I would vote yes, because it seems like 500 mill + has to be spent renovating a lot of the sports facilities anyways.

I'm admittedly uninformed. Is there something wrong with this logic?
That's basically the gist of it.

Yes is risky but provides extra money for stuff the city needs/wants.

No isn't risky, but leaves the city with a funding cut from the province while still having the needs/wants.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #805
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I'm still struggling how to vote. In theory I am in favor of hosting, but I think this particular bid is weak.
I agree, I am just more of a I will take a weak bid than nothing at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Seems to be lots of chatter the IOC has a handshake deal with SLC to step in if there ends up being no real bids for 2026. Would certainly explain why they've already refused to kick in more for Calgary's bid.
If SLC were to get the games now, would that not open the door for 2030 as 2030 was supposed to go to SLC from my understanding?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #806
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
If SLC were to get the games now, would that not open the door for 2030 as 2030 was supposed to go to SLC from my understanding?
I don't see why it wouldn't. Maybe a stronger Euro bid is there for 2030 and that makes it more challenging, but back to back NA bids if they are strong is probably better for driving up the TV deal.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #807
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can someone explain to me why a new arena or a c-train line to the airport isn't being discussed as part of the bid? The Dome is junk now, let alone in 8 years.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #808
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I'm still struggling how to vote. In theory I am in favor of hosting, but I think this particular bid is weak.
This was likely or one chance to get the Olympics back in Calgary and they blew it, imo. It was the Calgarynext of Olympic presentations.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #809
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I believe if society had the internet and media in late 70’s and early 80’s ... given how bad things were then.... Calgary 88 would likely not have occurred.

Only my 2 cents and yes I am old enough to remember my folks and their friends talking about the house mortgages, NEP, etc on a regular basis.

What I do not recall is if there was a plebiscite back then too?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...ticle24398735/
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #810
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t live in Calgary. Even if I did I’d vote no.

It bothers me to see people voting yes because of the chance to have a two- or three-week party. C’mon, there are more important needs. Red Deer and other communities are in serious need of new hospitals, there is a huge infrastructure deficit, government debt to contend with, to name a few priorities.

It also bothers me that Nenshi is actively promoting a yes vote. When my city did a plebiscite years ago (nothing as big as this) politicians presented full, accurate information and let voters choose. They stayed silent.

I believe and hope that the no side prevails. I’m predicting 58 per cent no. We can’t afford these games. There is a reason other cities have dropped out.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #811
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have tended to avoid asking co-workers which way they are leaning as I didnt want the workplace to become polarized, but the topic naturally came up today. I am shocked at the number of people who have no clue about the facts here.

A bunch of the No folks who still think Edmonton is hosting the hockey games.

If you are going to be passionately against something like this, please at least get your facts straight.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #812
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC this is the first time I have voted where they had an electronic ballot reader.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #813
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I disagree with that sentiment, simply because of the volume of cities who form committees to explore bids, who go through the vetting process, as well as the number of cities who re-apply.

You are technically right - the number of actual bidding cities has dropped. But the same customers keep coming back in to the store - they obviously see something worth exploring, including people who have bought before.

But you can't slap the same reason for submitting bids (or not) on every city ad nauseam. It's disingenuous, partisan, and isn't as binary as you are leading on.
I think you're putting far to much weight into interest and not enough into the actual bids. Kazakhstan showed interest. Bosnia. Andora. Ukraine. Showing interest in my opinion is far from submitting a bid. Countries who have no chance show interest. Showing interest likely has its own agenda.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #814
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I want the no side to win.

It would be a nightmare if there were cost over runs and Calgarians decided to move to High River to escape the higher taxes. I like my small town the way it is
Trust me. NO ONE is going to move to High River because of this! hahahaha
Besides how much money has your small town drained from us for flood mitigation because of the high river you live next to...
Old 11-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #815
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can understand the reasons for voting No, but I certainly believe that a No vote will just end up with us kicking infrastructure spending further down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #816
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I have tended to avoid asking co-workers which way they are leaning as I didnt want the workplace to become polarized, but the topic naturally came up today. I am shocked at the number of people who have no clue about the facts here.

A bunch of the No folks who still think Edmonton is hosting the hockey games.

If you are going to be passionately against something like this, please at least get your facts straight.
One of my friends who is a production accountant(they aren't real accountants anyways haha) thinks that the IOC is giving us $0 and that they are keeping all the revenue from ticket sales... ouch.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #817
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Can someone explain to me why a new arena or a c-train line to the airport isn't being discussed as part of the bid? The Dome is junk now, let alone in 8 years.
The federal money is reserved for sport. And, the arena plan is well underway independent of the Olympic bid. http://bcconline.calgary.ca/publish/bcc.aspx?id=223
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #818
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I think you're putting far to much weight into interest and not enough into the actual bids. Kazakhstan showed interest. Bosnia. Andora. Ukraine. Showing interest in my opinion is far from submitting a bid. Countries who have no chance show interest. Showing interest likely has its own agenda.
Multiple cities put in actual bids.
Even more cities enter dialogue with the IOC.
Even more cities explore the possibility of hosting. Every round.

Also, countries don't bid - cities do. I'm sure you understand this, I shouldn't have to explain that.

And you have yet to explain why first-world cities in first-world countries are not only entering the bidding stages, but also doing so repeatedly. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on that.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #819
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
One of my friends who is a production accountant(they aren't real accountants anyways haha) thinks that the IOC is giving us $0 and that they are keeping all the revenue from ticket sales... ouch.
Yes, seemingly smart people are getting swept up by the wave of negative nellies out there. I am disappointed and disheartened with the level of research these people have put into this topic. Another example of how its easier to just be lazy and pessimistic and latch onto a popular tagline.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #820
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I don’t live in Calgary. Even if I did I’d vote no.

It bothers me to see people voting yes because of the chance to have a two- or three-week party. C’mon, there are more important needs. Red Deer and other communities are in serious need of new hospitals, there is a huge infrastructure deficit, government debt to contend with, to name a few priorities.

It also bothers me that Nenshi is actively promoting a yes vote. When my city did a plebiscite years ago (nothing as big as this) politicians presented full, accurate information and let voters choose. They stayed silent.

I believe and hope that the no side prevails. I’m predicting 58 per cent no. We can’t afford these games. There is a reason other cities have dropped out.
I dont vote for a 2 week party. I vote for the 7 years of construction jobs and whey they will build. Like they did 30 years ago. And I live here and am raising a family so this is a big deal to me.

And where are you getting those funds for the hospitals? Dont work that way.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post: