Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Laptop Opinions

Hi all

I don't have the patience or time to research a new laptop for my wife. I'm looking to spend around the $1500 mark, but am pretty flexible.

Currently she runs a 5 year old cheap Dell that is on it's last legs, but I'd like to buy her something that is portable, durable, and sleek. Of course, performance is important, as she handles quite a bit of photos and would want a machine capable of photo editting fairly easily. Storage is not as much of an issue, as I will set her up with our family cloud.

High clarity/resolution, decent RAM, decent processor, and probably a half decent graphics card.

The market is flooded with models and brands, and it is hard to distinguish between them all

If i search 'Best Laptop Models', it seems the Apple Macbook, Microsoft Surface, or even an Acer comes up.

We are really easy, and don't have a particular bias towards any brand.

Tks all

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I had a tighter budget to work with, but recently helped a friend buy this one:
https://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Mer...pt=ABL&sel=NTB

Good quality screen can make or break a laptop, which is why we looked for IPS.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does she do photos professionally? The most important thing for anyone photo editing should be the screen, nothing worse than having a so called 'performance' laptop only to be working on a poor FHD screen and get poor colour accuracy (IPS does not mean that it's a good screen, and in fact can be far worse than a TN). I would highly recommend against the one above, you need at the bare minimum 90% srgb as a photographer(and you should aim be towards 99% adobe rgb), the one above is a horrible 60% srgb. How can you reliably edit photos when half of the colours cannot be reproduced by the horrible screen? These sub 1000$ laptops are very poor for photo editing purposes with the screen usually being the biggest drawback.

Get either the Lenovo X1 carbon, or X1 Yoga (carbon is a normal laptop and slightly thinner, yoga is a 2-1. They go on sale all the time at 30-40% off on the EPP site and you can get one in the 1500-1800 range.

This meets all your criteria, and this is what I got for similar reasons. I got the X1 Yoga with the HDR 1440p screen because it doubles as a tablet which is great for wedding presentations (and great in tent mode for watching movies in bed!). You can also edit direct on the screen which is a big plus for photo editing.

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops...compareSection

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/ibmeppf...codeGatekeeper

Password FNDEPP

Review of the X1 Carbon Color Space
(Percent of AdobeRGB 1998)
Color Space (Percent of sRGB)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo....284682.0.html

Macbook, Surface are also decent options, but have drawbacks as well, I considered the Surface Laptop but it's always a generation behind and has some really awkward design choices. Macbook performance per dollar is pretty poor.

Last edited by Firebot; 10-19-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I checked and the thinkpads are 33% off right now on the EPP site, great price and laptop to buy and you can customize for your needs.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I do a lot of CAD and 3D work on my work laptop. I use a HP Zbook. Works pretty good.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I basically live between Rhino, Maya, Photoshop, illustrator, and InDesign and use an MSI and it runs beautifully.
The only catch is that it's a little clunky (still very portable though).
Basically this
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...tem=34-154-791

Last edited by Mass_nerder; 10-20-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote