Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #3041
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
too bad, but they only have themselves to blame.
And a penalty that VAR should've awarded.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #3042
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
And to tie up the Belgium-England tank game nicely, we get to see a rematch of it Saturday. Ugly.
Might be a decent game though? There’s really nothing to lose at that point and no real pressure for the players either.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #3043
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Croatia were my pick at the start of the tournament. Good for them! England truly is the Maple Leafs of international soccer. Haven't won since the 60's, usually highly overrated. Good tournament, though.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #3044
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Might be a decent game though? There’s really nothing to lose at that point and no real pressure for the players either.
And no real reason to play the starters again. I expect basically the same lineups, with Mignolet and Butland this time just for the LOLs.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #3045
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
And to tie up the Belgium-England tank game nicely, we get to see a rematch of it Saturday. Ugly.
Does England have an incentive to lose to show that the first round wasn't a tank?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #3046
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Beautiful day.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #3047
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, England got an easy road and when the going got tough the English got English and lost.

This whole World Cup for England was smoke and mirrors, it was all Harry Kane and free kicks and penalties. How many goals did they score from open play?

Anyways, if you're an English fan then you should be grateful to Croatia so you didnt have to watch the 3 Lions get turned into France's bitch.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #3048
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say he should have squared this for Sterling, but Sterling probably pokes it wide anyway.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #3049
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've probably watched the 2-1 goal 15 times by now. It just came from no where. Still doesn't seem real.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #3050
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would say he should have squared this for Sterling, but Sterling probably pokes it wide anyway.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that because that's just a striker's mentality but the finish was very poor.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #3051
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Again, England got an easy road and when the going got tough the English got English and lost.

This whole World Cup for England was smoke and mirrors, it was all Harry Kane and free kicks and penalties. How many goals did they score from open play?

Anyways, if you're an English fan then you should be grateful to Croatia so you didnt have to watch the 3 Lions get turned into France's bitch.
I mean it's not like Croatia are very deserving finalists either. Easy road to the finals and still needed two shootouts, extra time, and a lot of help from the officials to overcome what everyone agrees were three pretty average teams.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #3052
Sgrath
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Well at least this time they couldn't be Germany's bitch
Sgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #3053
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I mean it's not like Croatia are very deserving finalists either. Easy road to the finals and still needed two shootouts, extra time, and a lot of help from the officials to overcome what everyone agrees were three pretty average teams.
Let's be real, one half of the knockout stages was filled with top teams, and one with also rans. Credit to Croatia for finding a way, but they're gonna get smacked on Sunday unless France no show.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #3054
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'd definitely agree. I think Croatia peaked against Argentina which has made the rest of the tournament very difficult, but if you'll pardon my cynicism, it seems to me that Croatia are more or less following the blueprint devised by Portugal at the Euros.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #3055
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping for an Mbappe own goal in the final giving Croatia the win so PSG feels obliged to sell him to Madrid.

LOL jk, like PSG owners care about France.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #3056
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd definitely agree. I think Croatia peaked against Argentina which has made the rest of the tournament very difficult, but if you'll pardon my cynicism, it seems to me that Croatia are more or less following the blueprint devised by Portugal at the Euros.
Oh cmon. First let me just say, if that means Croatia wins the World Cup, I don't care. But I don't agree and think you're statement is also unfair.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #3057
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Oh cmon. First let me just say, if that means Croatia wins the World Cup, I don't care. But I don't agree and think you're statement is also unfair.
Okay, fair enough. But tournament play typically follows a normal bell curve and you want to hit that peak right at the opportune moment.

Croatia destroyed Argentina, but havent shown the same flow or flair since.

I'm pulling for Croatia, but it still seems as though they're running out of gas.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #3058
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, fair enough. But tournament play typically follows a normal bell curve and you want to hit that peak right at the opportune moment.

I'm pulling for Croatia, but it still seems as though they're running out of gas.
I think they were underwhelming against Denmark, fully agree. Even first 30 mins of this game, but then they took over and had plenty of attractive chances and outclassed England. When I think of Portugal in the Euros I think more anti football and relying on one player to score penalties and set pieces.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #3059
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

European games are always tight so I don't think the side of the draw with 7 European teams (including the hosts) was the easier side as it turned out.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #3060
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To be fair, from their first goal until about the 80 minute mark looked like it was going to be another Argentina game.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good