Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2022, 09:20 AM   #1101
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
It's not a private plane, it's an RCAF Challenger.
Ya the PM flies on military aircraft, not sure why people think the Prime Minister flies on a private jet.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:30 AM   #1102
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1556619987678179328

BTW there is literally no chance of this happening, Health Canada just issued the RFI for industry consultation at the end of July, The RFI isn't due until towards the end of August and talks about a minimum 6 month implementation.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-08-2022 at 09:36 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:45 AM   #1103
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will say, as someone who works on a base, it is a double standard that everyone has to wear a mask anywhere indoors on base, but he can be on that plane with no mask.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:21 PM   #1104
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1556619987678179328

BTW there is literally no chance of this happening, Health Canada just issued the RFI for industry consultation at the end of July, The RFI isn't due until towards the end of August and talks about a minimum 6 month implementation.
Yeah, he's getting off the train.

We might have an election sooner than we think.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:36 PM   #1105
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1556725133347266562
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:40 PM   #1106
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure Jagmeet has no interest in attempting to work with a Pollivere government(he'd obviously get nothing), so it'd be pretty dumb for him to bail. This is just political games.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 01:43 PM   #1107
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Increasing chatter about a fall election. I have to wonder if the Liberals are looking for a way to engineer a way out of their NDP deal in hopes of squeaking in an election before the recession and inevitable collapse of the GTA and Vancouver housing markets.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 02:12 PM   #1108
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Increasing chatter about a fall election. I have to wonder if the Liberals are looking for a way to engineer a way out of their NDP deal in hopes of squeaking in an election before the recession and inevitable collapse of the GTA and Vancouver housing markets.
They must realize they would very likely lose an election in the fall though.

Conservatives have been blaming housing prices on Trudeau for months, so they either want the prices to fall, or not. I find all of this exhausting at this point. Trudeau is a dope, and the cons are embarrassing themselves.

"Fix inflation!" - "Don't raise interest rates!".

"Lower house prices!" - Don't raise interest rates!"

"Houses are too expensive in Van & GTA" - "Don't let prices drop in Van & GTA"..
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:23 PM   #1109
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pierre Polivere is never winning a national election. Full stop.

If the liberals are floating the idea of a fall election, it's because they like their chances of solidifying power, and they view the opposition as weak.

Can't say I blame them. A populist conservative candidate that was glad handing with the trucker convoy and giving out free Bitcoin investment advice is as easy to tar and feather as it gets.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 02:24 PM   #1110
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post

If the liberals are floating the idea of a fall election, it's because they like their chances of solidifying power, and they view the opposition as weak.

Can't say I blame them. A populist conservative candidate that was glad handing with the trucker convoy and giving out free Bitcoin investment advice is as easy to tar and feather as it gets.

I thought PP couldn't win a month ago.... but with polls tracking and people just begging for a change... liberals split the vote with NDP..

I sadly would take that bet that PP wins. I can't stand him but I think he is destined to win.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:26 PM   #1111
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Precisely. They called a snap election during a pandemic because O'Toole had only been in the job for a few months.

They're probably looking at pulling the same trick again against a largely leaderless principle opposition.

But I'd wager that the results are going to be exactly the same.

I'm still pissed about the Pandemic election that landed us back exactly where we started so I'd likely not be much happier about another failed power-grab that is going to likely land us back exactly where we started. Again.

And then once again Trudeau and Singh remain bedfellows.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:28 PM   #1112
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I disagree. I hope I'm wrong (not because I want Trudeau, but because I think PP would be an absolute disaster in every single way).

I think PP is likely to win... Very difficult for a PM to win this many elections in a row.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:28 PM   #1113
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I thought PP couldn't win a month ago.... but with polls tracking and people just begging for a change... liberals split the vote with NDP..

I sadly would take that bet that PP wins. I can't stand him but I think he is destined to win.
I suspect the left would consolidate behind the Liberals if PP is the alternative. It'd be close. An early election really has no benefits to the NDP, they'd lose support and power.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:32 PM   #1114
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Canadian Federal Politics Thread v5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I suspect the left would consolidate behind the Liberals if PP is the alternative. It'd be close. An early election really has no benefits to the NDP, they'd lose support and power.

One difference next election if PP wins the leadership is the PPC is effectively neutralized.

Haven’t seen how many, if any seats they caused the CPC to loose last election because of vote split- but I recall scrolling through some sheet showing ridings and votes snd thinking if 100% of their votes went to CPC it may of made some difference- just based on a glance.

Anyone seen an assessment?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:40 PM   #1115
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

PP is attempting to do a Canadianized version of GOP style populist politics. He's just not good at it at all. It's like comparing Dudley Do-Right to Die Hard.

This isn't complicated. If the Liberals are floating an election they see it as an opportune time to strike. Their opponents are under financed (NDP/Green) or trending further right on the spectrum (UPC) than previously, making them easy pickings.

There is zero chance that right wing politics will ever fly in eastern Canada. Zero. If PP wins the nomination, I'd call an election immediately and make it about every single social issue possible, while pointing to the budget surplus that gives a plausible argument to finances being in good shape.

Until the UPC get their shirt together and focus on what makes them a reasonable choice (fiscal prudence, allegedly) and stop trying to be a big tent party for the entirety of the right (with all of the crazy that brings along), they won't win a federal election.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 02:42 PM   #1116
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If there's a election come the fall, I expect there to be a voter lashback against the Liberals for it happening.

Lets be honest, Justin wants that majority position to cement whatever his legacy is in his mind.

I would expect that PP wins a minority. The Libs and NDP form against it and force a spring election after giving PP enough rope to hang himself, and it goes on and on and on.

At this point, it would be nice to take all three parties, package them all up in boxes and shoot them into orbit.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 02:49 PM   #1117
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If there's a election come the fall, I expect there to be a voter lashback against the Liberals for it happening.

Lets be honest, Justin wants that majority position to cement whatever his legacy is in his mind.

I would expect that PP wins a minority. The Libs and NDP form against it and force a spring election after giving PP enough rope to hang himself, and it goes on and on and on.

At this point, it would be nice to take all three parties, package them all up in boxes and shoot them into orbit.
That's what everyone said last year, too. "An unnecessary election during a pandemic? The Liberals will get punished for this!"
Old 08-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #1118
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
PP is attempting to do a Canadianized version of GOP style populist politics. He's just not good at it at all. It's like comparing Dudley Do-Right to Die Hard.

This isn't complicated. If the Liberals are floating an election they see it as an opportune time to strike. Their opponents are under financed (NDP/Green) or trending further right on the spectrum (UPC) than previously, making them easy pickings.

There is zero chance that right wing politics will ever fly in eastern Canada. Zero. If PP wins the nomination, I'd call an election immediately and make it about every single social issue possible, while pointing to the budget surplus that gives a plausible argument to finances being in good shape.

Until the UPC get their shirt together and focus on what makes them a reasonable choice (fiscal prudence, allegedly) and stop trying to be a big tent party for the entirety of the right (with all of the crazy that brings along), they won't win a federal election.
Only a fool speaks in absolutes about politics.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1556391786972602370

Last edited by Yoho; 08-08-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:05 PM   #1119
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would literally be cheaper to just implement the policies than to have a snap election. I don’t think an election is happening and I don’t Singh is going to force one.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:12 PM   #1120
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Canadian Federal Politics Thread v5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Only a fool speaks in absolutes about politics.

Fair critique.

Let’s amend and say I would find it very surprising for eastern Canada, Quebec in particular, to vote for a party with a conservative social ideology on a national level.