Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 11:44 PM   #3921
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Tippett was fired after 44 games last season when the Oilers record was 23-18-3 and the team was 5th in the Pacific.

Today, after 42 games, their record is 21-18-3 and they are 5th in the Pacific.

They need to win their next 2 games to be as good as they were when Tippett was fired.
Expectations were higher this season as well. I wonder if they would actually fire another coach though. They have to know by now that it isn't all coaching. Not that I think Woodcroft is great or anything. The top players there do what they want and run the show. Unlike with Tippett who was or is a good coach (probably), and the team pulled him down, it's actually possible with Woodcroft that the team would be worse if the inmates weren't running the asylum.

Maybe they do it just to get the temporary new coach boost teams often have. If it only costs someone their career for a few extra points, I am sure the Oilers brass are at least considering it.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:48 PM   #3922
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

5-2

McDavid scores!

MonsterTruck “And just like that the game is changed!!!”

Uh. Ok I guess. They’ll lose by 3 instead of 4.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 11:51 PM   #3923
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tippett was fired after 44 games last season when the Oilers record was 23-18-3 and the team was 5th in the Pacific.

They need to win their next 2 games to be as good as they were when Tippett was fired.
This needs to get twittered to all the jock sniffing oiler fanboy media types up north.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 11:51 PM   #3924
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Expectations were higher this season as well. I wonder if they would actually fire another coach though. They have to know by now that it isn't all coaching. Not that I think Woodcroft is great or anything. The top players there do what they want and run the show. Unlike with Tippett who was or is a good coach (probably), and the team pulled him down, it's actually possible with Woodcroft that the team would be worse if the inmates weren't running the asylum.

Maybe they do it just to get the temporary new coach boost teams often have. If it only costs someone their career for a few extra points, I am sure the Oilers brass are at least considering it.
They should just bring back one of their old coaches that they’re still paying.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 11:59 PM   #3925
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, stupid Oilers!
Old 01-10-2023, 12:36 AM   #3926
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Reading this does so many things for me.

Would love them to lose the next two just to see what the sweatpants fan club has to say.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:38 AM   #3927
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

LA pulling an Edmonton with a million PP goals. McDavid still a -1.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:55 AM   #3928
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
LA pulling an Edmonton with a million PP goals. McDavid still a -1.
I know. I loved it when Michaels said something like, if you needed a reminder of who the best player in the world is, while showing the McDavid goal that made it 3-5, I was thinking, you might want to check something else there.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:51 AM   #3929
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

So just watching the highlights of the LA victory over Edmonton.... LA goes 4 for 7 on the PP.

Guess who was in the ice for 3 of those PP goals?

McDavid. Concrete proof that he does not know how to play defense.

The fact that he was on the ice for those goals is a fact and undenialable.

On each of those goals, he was either floating (didn't work hard to get back into the play) or was the closest defender to the goal scorer and let him walk right into the slot unopposed. I guess that opinion could be debated.
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 06:30 AM   #3930
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They are hanging their hat on the return of Kane. Imagine that.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:53 AM   #3931
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They are hanging their hat on the return of Kane. Imagine that.
The best part is, that when Kane comes back they will only be able to carry 20 players on their roster, and that is with sending Janmark and Ryan to the minors because they make over a million.

Their cap is so messed up they will likely be playing shorthanded down the stretch. But yet the media is talking about how they are adding a dman and a forward. How? I guess if they trade PullRV the could fit in two 1.5 mil players and still only have room for 20.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SaskyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 07:27 AM   #3932
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskyFlamesFan View Post
The best part is, that when Kane comes back they will only be able to carry 20 players on their roster, and that is with sending Janmark and Ryan to the minors because they make over a million.

Their cap is so messed up they will likely be playing shorthanded down the stretch. But yet the media is talking about how they are adding a dman and a forward. How? I guess if they trade PullRV the could fit in two 1.5 mil players and still only have room for 20.

Not only their cap is messed up now but also next year. And when the cap starts to go up both Leon and McDavid will need new contracts. What a shame.
Old 01-10-2023, 07:40 AM   #3933
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
So just watching the highlights of the LA victory over Edmonton.... LA goes 4 for 7 on the PP.

On each of those goals, he was either floating (didn't work hard to get back into the play) or was the closest defender to the goal scorer and let him walk right into the slot unopposed. I guess that opinion could be debated.
Looks like he needs to pull up his socks...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 07:44 AM   #3934
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Not only their cap is messed up now but also next year. And when the cap starts to go up both Leon and McDavid will need new contracts. What a shame.
I have a funny feeling that signing those two's next contracts will not be an issue the Oilers have to deal with...
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 07:48 AM   #3935
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post

I would have to assume that McAvi’s instructions for the PK are to hang back until one of the schlepps gets possession and look for the breakaway pass.

I guess it’s not so much instruction, more of a suggestion from the coach, as the Connor doesn’t seem to be given instruction.
Old 01-10-2023, 07:52 AM   #3936
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone who doubts where McPowerplay's priorities lie need to look no further than the end of last nights game.

Down 5 - 3 with your goalie pulled. McDavid takes the puck near the blueline in the offensive zone, skates around the net of of course looking to set someone up in front or a point shot with traffic.

Nope, he tries a wrap around, loses the puck, Kings get possession and score an empty netter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 08:38 AM   #3937
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I have a funny feeling that signing those two's next contracts will not be an issue the Oilers have to deal with...

I'm surprised actually McDavid still hasn't asked for a trade. Maybe last year bought more time and he'll see out his contract out or the next two years and then they'll trade him. But yeah I don't see him signing his next deal with the Oilers.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:52 AM   #3938
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poolparty leads the team in fighting majors?

He is terrible at fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zHnhQnzS8M

And two of the fights the oilers players jerseys came off and don't seem to have tie downs. And Mcdavid doesn't have socks.

What a ####show.

Last edited by dustygoon; 01-10-2023 at 09:54 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 10:22 AM   #3939
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With the Oilers in the last playoff spot, they must be looking in their rear view mirror and seeing a surging Nashville only 1 point behind with a better average and 3 games in hand and currently on a four game win streak, and Colorado, 2 points behind and 4 games in hand with a better average and players getting healthy.

Last nights game reminded me of last years Oilers' game against Dallas, where Dallas won and ended Oilers' great start to that season, they showed the rest of the league how to beat them and shut down their Powerplay... Oilers went 0-6 last night.

I think it's time tonight for Calgary to make hay tonight against St. Louis as well as we're only 1 point ahead with 1 game in hand on Edmonton - but I think with a surging Seattle, we should be looking to pull LA down so we can avoid this same fate. That's why I was torn watching last nights game, I like to see Edmonton lose, but LA is the team we should be targeting - I'm so glad that this wasn't a 3 pointer.

Firing the coach: I don't think they can fire Woodcroft, the best they could hope for is to honor their contract and salary and convince him to go back to Bakersfield. You can't pump a guys tire so much and then just drop him without losing some respect in the league (the little they have). The coaches can't keep relying on playing McDavid and Draisaitl when things are down, they need to come up with different strategies to help them win - like getting a forth line energy line - or adding some toughness (Lucic style), last night Jesse got tossed around like nothing. If this team doesn't score, there is nothing they can do to get momentum back (like a fight)... the funny thing last night was that once the fight was over, Edmonton did get a push back, but they never initiate it. I don't think all of this, or any, is the coaches fault... because every recent coach has fallen into the same trap, I think McDavid is not a captain but has more power than the coach and he just won't listen outside a coaches first few months - they took a great player, gave him the 'C' way too soon, gave him the keys to the place which basically made him uncoachable. You can't keep getting a new coach every month or two to just get a few elite players on the same page as the coaching staff, the "in groups" (McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, etc.) wings need to be clipped.
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 10:27 AM   #3940
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
Louie whined more tonight about every oilers penalty more than I've ever seen. They might as well just pick an oilers fan out of his mom's basement to do colour commentary. Would be about as objective..
I only watched about 10 min of the second period and noticed that!! Whine, whine, whine....also about the goal.

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough