Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-14-2022, 09:17 AM   #21
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just quit a FT salaried gig after 3 months. Their 730am and 5pm mandatory meetings to "prep and then re-cap the day" were exhausting and taking it's toll on being able to achieve that life work balance.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #22
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
I just quit a FT salaried gig after 3 months. Their 730am and 5pm mandatory meetings to "prep and then re-cap the day" were exhausting and taking it's toll on being able to achieve that life work balance.
That is insane. That is a micro manager who doesn't trust his/her team.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #23
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went from salaried + small bonus (15% of salary) in an office (but was WFH during Covid) to 100% commission and 100% WFH 1.5 years ago and its been the best decision in my career. Less work for more pay.

It is 100% more flexible for my work/life balance. I can take my kids' to their appointments during the day. Go to their school events or run errands without having to run it by my boss. I went from talking to my manager a dozen times a day to once every two weeks.

I do log in the occasional evening but that's mostly my choice. If I get things done at night when my family is asleep, it just gives me more flexibility the next work day. I work out in my basement too so I never miss a work out
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 10:54 AM   #24
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think I deliberately averaged about 40 hours when my children were young. Now that I’m nearly an empty nester I am doing 50-60. Have to find time for vacations somehow.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:09 AM   #25
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Monday to Friday, 8 hours a day.

And Mondays and Fridays I work from home.

I also don’t have to work a set 8 hour period each day, could be 8-4, or 9-5, 7-3 etc.

Really can’t complain, it’s a nice situation.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:26 AM   #26
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

The reasons I can see for regularly working more than the "standard" week:
  1. needing the money
  2. being passionate about the work and taking satisfaction from success
  3. being anxious about failure / leaving someone in a lurch, or
  4. laying a foundation for future success (extra work now for later career opportunities)

I'd love to be in Situation #2... And I've spent a lot of years in Situation #3. But right now, none of those applies so I do what I can in my 40 and spend most of the rest of the time trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up (into my 50s).
Cube Inmate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:31 AM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being self-employed things are different, especially when you're just starting your business.

In school they tell you:

"Be your own boss! Work your own hours!!"

Yeah, well, if you want to get your business off the ground do you know what those hours are?

Its all of them. All of the hours.

Once you become established it can be somewhat different, but I cant tell you how many times I've gotten panicked emails or phone calls Sunday at 8pm and someone needs something immediately because their Mortgage expires tomorrow.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #28
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Being self-employed things are different, especially when you're just starting your business.

In school they tell you:

"Be your own boss! Work your own hours!!"

Yeah, well, if you want to get your business off the ground do you know what those hours are?

Its all of them. All of the hours.

Once you become established it can be somewhat different, but I cant tell you how many times I've gotten panicked emails or phone calls Sunday at 8pm and someone needs something immediately because their Mortgage expires tomorrow.
Entrepreneurs...the only people that work 80 hours per week to avoid working 40.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #29
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That is insane. That is a micro manager who doesn't trust his/her team.
Count me in the group that hates coffee / daily team meetings. Unless it’s a meeting used specifically for tangible directives, I refuse to attend. I have more important things to work on than useless coffee meetings that eat up time. At first, my superiors gave me the dirty eye, but productivity hasn’t faltered, so they’ve stopped asking me to attend. I just show up to show work later and attend the meeting once a week. If they fire me for skipping coffee meetings, be my guest, I’ll find work elsewhere!

Now back in the day when I worked on research teams, specifically organizations conducting field research, I always attended daily coffee briefings as they were indeed important. I’d put in 60-65 hour weeks, but that’s only because I loved the work. Now I’m in the industry, 40 hour weeks it is. If I’m not getting paid, I refuse to work.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 08-14-2022 at 11:43 AM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Entrepreneurs...the only people that work 80 hours per week to avoid working 40.
Well, I didnt get into it for the hours.

But if we're going to have an honest discussion of Work/Life balance then I dont think we should ignore the realities of being an Entrepreneur.

Further, that is still nobody's problem but the Business owner themselves, I'm not saying that there is some externality at fault or someone else to blame.

Just that when starting a business, there are trades being made within the Work/Life balance of (hopefully) short-term pain for long-term gain.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 12:27 PM   #31
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to be one of those people who die within months of retiring. Because when I'm not working or sleeping, I have little desire to do anything.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:15 PM   #32
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Count me in the group that hates coffee / daily team meetings. Unless it’s a meeting used specifically for tangible directives, I refuse to attend. I have more important things to work on than useless coffee meetings that eat up time. At first, my superiors gave me the dirty eye, but productivity hasn’t faltered, so they’ve stopped asking me to attend. I just show up to show work later and attend the meeting once a week. If they fire me for skipping coffee meetings, be my guest, I’ll find work elsewhere!

Now back in the day when I worked on research teams, specifically organizations conducting field research, I always attended daily coffee briefings as they were indeed important. I’d put in 60-65 hour weeks, but that’s only because I loved the work. Now I’m in the industry, 40 hour weeks it is. If I’m not getting paid, I refuse to work.
Hopefully it went something like this:

https://www.newsweek.com/wild-messag...deshow/1976669
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #33
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I'm going to be one of those people who die within months of retiring. Because when I'm not working or sleeping, I have little desire to do anything.
I plan on being well set up for retirement, but one thing I've been doing recently is searching for fun and low cost hobbies that I can do well into my retirement. Fishing really checks off a ton of boxes, is fun to do both solo and with friends, it can give you some mild exercise and it gets you outdoors.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #34
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I plan on being well set up for retirement, but one thing I've been doing recently is searching for fun and low cost hobbies that I can do well into my retirement. Fishing really checks off a ton of boxes, is fun to do both solo and with friends, it can give you some mild exercise and it gets you outdoors.
Brutal on the liver, though.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 03:06 PM   #35
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

First 8 years of my career as a geologist, I worked for large corporations. I worked the usual 8 to 4:30, came home, had supper and went back to work until 10:00pm. I loved what I was doing, wanted to learn all I could. I distrusted corporations, hated the corporate ass kissing, and felt that if I stayed in my job I would gradually lose a tiny part of my soul each day. However, in spite of what I have just said, I believe that the corporate life can be great for many.

So after 8 years, I formed a consultant company, purchased a small oil company, and worked on my own for the remainder of my 40 year career. I always loved my work, and as they say, "If you love your work, you never work a day in your life". The work was challenging, and I found in order to stay small I had to expand my capabilities to become part engineer, landman, economist, salesman, etc. So my no means was it an easy job, especially with all the ups and down cycles in the industry.

My wife was a teacher, and as I was an independent geologist, we were able to spend July and August at our cottage. It was there that we were able to recharge our batteries for the following 10 months.

I realize for a young geologist to duplicate the same thing today would be extremely difficult, if not next to impossible, with the huge increase in rules and regulations, the political interference, the investment scene, etc. However, a few of the things I would suggest are:

1. Learn as much as you can as fast as you can, not just in geology but in all the other related areas e.g. engineering, financial, land, etc.

2. Have confidence and trust in your own abilities

3. Value your ability to take risks

4. Realize that the oil and gas industry is here to stay.

Last edited by flamesfever; 08-14-2022 at 06:50 PM.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 03:16 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
First 8 years of my career as a geologist, I worked for corporations. I worked the usual 8 to 4:30, came home, had supper and went back to work until 10:00pm. I loved what I was doing, wanted to learn all I could. I distrusted corporations, hated the corporate ass kissing, and felt that if I stayed in my job I would gradually lose a tiny part of my soul each day. However, in spite of what I have just said, I believe that the corporate life can be great for many.

So after 8 years, I formed a consultant company, purchased a small oil company, and worked on my own for the remainder of my 40 year career. I always loved my work, and as they say, "If you love your work, you never work a day in your life". The work was challenging, and I found in order to stay small I had to expand my capabilities to become part engineer, landman, economist, salesman, etc. So my no means was it an easy job, especially with all the ups and down cycles in the industry.

My wife was a teacher, and as I was an independent geologist, we were able to spend July and August at our cottage. It was there that we were able to recharge our batteries for the following 10 months.

I realize for a young geologist to duplicate the same thing today would be extremely difficult, if not next to impossible, with the huge increase in rules and regulations, the political interference, the investment scene, etc. However, a few of the things I would suggest are:

1. Learn as much as you can as fast as you can, not just in geology but in all the other related areas e.g. engineering, financial, land, etc.

2. Have confidence and trust in your own abilities

3. Value your ability to take risks

4. Realize that the oil and gas industry is here to stay.
On these points:

I do not subscribe to that theory. My own personal theory is:

"If you do something you love, you will eventually learn to hate it."

Just do something you dont hate, or at least find elements of it that are interesting and enjoyable, but if you bring love into the equation you can be sucked into the black-hole vortex of sinking too much time and effort into it.

Learn as much as you can as quickly as possible?

Absolutely. That is a great piece of advice.

When you're young you have the drive and energy to hustle. Leverage that and do it hard because that experience will pay huge dividends later and you will appreciate that work later on in your career when you no longer have the energy to hustle but have the experience where you dont have to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 03:33 PM   #37
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Life circumstances that might affect some more than others
- no kids, or several
- DINKS
- single income
- high or low paying, or underemployed
- family circumstances
- liking your spouse enough to spend every moment with them, or one needs to do a 1-2 week away shift otherwise too close for comfort.
- health
- oh yeah, what you actually do and how the boss/management is.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:38 PM   #38
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
On these points:

I do not subscribe to that theory. My own personal theory is:

"If you do something you love, you will eventually learn to hate it."

Just do something you dont hate, or at least find elements of it that are interesting and enjoyable, but if you bring love into the equation you can be sucked into the black-hole vortex of sinking too much time and effort into it.

Learn as much as you can as quickly as possible?

Absolutely. That is a great piece of advice.

When you're young you have the drive and energy to hustle. Leverage that and do it hard because that experience will pay huge dividends later and you will appreciate that work later on in your career when you no longer have the energy to hustle but have the experience where you dont have to.
How about the author and painters, whose passions or love, creates great works of art, or the teacher that goes the extra mile and experiences the breakthroughs in her students, or the geologist that sees that black stuff come out the flare line.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:45 PM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
How about the author and painters, whose passions or love, creates great works of art, or the teacher that goes the extra mile and experiences the breakthroughs in her students, or the geologist that sees that black stuff come out the flare line.
I cant speak to artists because they're weirdos that I dont understand.

Ditto for teachers but I think they fit the bill because they probably burn out at some point in their careers.

Same for 'passionate geologists,' does not compute.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 03:49 PM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I cant speak to artists because they're weirdos that I dont understand.

Ditto for teachers but I think they fit the bill because they probably burn out at some point in their careers.

Same for 'passionate geologists,' does not compute.
Said by someone who obviously hasn't heard a geologist exclaim "holy #### me in the ass! Check out that cross bedding!"
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: