Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2022, 03:20 PM   #41
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
54 percent of the population is much larger than just truckers. Should you not engage with those that disagree with your position?
Health authorities are reducing restrictions right now? So much of the 54% you are taking about is being listened to.

Remember No one like restrictions, most people would like hospital surgeons not to be cancelled. Given these priors aren’t the heath authorities who should be listened to. Or if you you disagree that the majority of the Canadian population doesn’t accept these priorities please provide evidence of that.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:21 PM   #42
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
54 percent of the population is much larger than just truckers. Should you not engage with those that disagree with your position?
No more qualified than a trucker though. What would engagement look like? "we hear you but we will not lift restrictions until our medical experts deem it safe to do so. Thanks for your time"
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #43
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
It makes sense for a gov't to have dialogue with people who disagree with them. They could have done this WAY before the word convoy even became part of our nation lexicon.
Who exactly should Trudeau have met/had dialogue with?

Do you think that if he met with them (whoever it is) and didn't give into their demands (he wouldn't) would that have stopped the convoy, is having dialogue good enough to please these occupiers?

Do you think Trudeau should have to meet with any groups of people that demand something from him? If so, what would be the minimum number of people that require him to sit down with any group about any topic? 5? 50? 1000? 10,000? Where is that line drawn?

Do you think that if Trudeau had to sit down and have dialogue with any group on any topic (as crazy as those groups/topics may be) it would actually give legitimacy and attention to groups that don't deserve it?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:27 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Do you think that if he met with them (whoever it is) and didn't give into their demands (he wouldn't) would that have stopped the convoy, is having dialogue good enough to please these occupiers?

Do you think Trudeau should have to meet with any groups of people that demand something from him? If so, what would be the minimum number of people that require him to sit down with any group about any topic? 5? 50? 1000? 10,000? Where is that line drawn?

Do you think that if Trudeau had to sit down and have dialogue with any group on any topic (as crazy as those groups/topics may be) it would actually give legitimacy and attention to groups that don't deserve it?
Raul Castro.

He'd know what to do.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #45
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On what grounds? That they're being inconvenienced?
We ALL are.

I'd like them lifted too. So I'd be part of the 54%. That doesn't mean I disagree with the decision to keep them in place.

I'll ask you a last time. It's a simple yes or no.
Has any local health service came out and said it's not necessary to have the restrictions any more.

And why aren't you prepared to follow their lead?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:32 PM   #46
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where is the 54% number coming from? Just yesterday there was a poll saying 46% sympathize with the convoy, but a much smaller number supported their tactics.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:50 PM   #47
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Where is the 54% number coming from? Just yesterday there was a poll saying 46% sympathize with the convoy, but a much smaller number supported their tactics.
He's taking a poll about restrictions and applying to support of the protests. We have polls like you said about the support of the protests - which is much much lower.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #48
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

30% of people believe in astrology.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 03:56 PM   #49
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1492979771172659206

Cool. Cool.

Cool.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:12 PM   #50
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personification of the thread.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1492995012547780610

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 04:12 PM   #51
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

WTF is an "assaulter". I've never heard that term before, and I've been adjacent to this community for a while now.

Wouldn't "team member" be a bit more appropriate? Is this purposefully using aggressive sounding terminology?

Let's say the two JTF2 members were injured during an operation in foreign lands... would they still be calling them "assaulters".

I'm keenly aware of each member having a particular job, like "scout" or "sniper" or "breacher", but have never heard assaulter in this context.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 04:27 PM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
WTF is an "assaulter". I've never heard that term before, and I've been adjacent to this community for a while now.

Wouldn't "team member" be a bit more appropriate? Is this purposefully using aggressive sounding terminology?

Let's say the two JTF2 members were injured during an operation in foreign lands... would they still be calling them "assaulters".

I'm keenly aware of each member having a particular job, like "scout" or "sniper" or "breacher", but have never heard assaulter in this context.
Looks like an official rank(or job? duty?):

https://www.canada.ca/en/special-ope...k-force-2.html
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:42 PM   #53
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Looks like an official rank(or job? duty?):

https://www.canada.ca/en/special-ope...k-force-2.html
Thank you... I stand corrected. Apparently a "Coxswain" is still a job description term they use somehow as well

I don't think it's a rank, but rather a position, but I could be wrong.

I think my overall point probably still stands though. Other media outlets such as the CBC have used the term "members" as opposed to assaulters, so to me it just feels a little bit strange.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:44 PM   #54
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The whole 'this is divisive' meme is weak sauce. These people may have extended our pandemic restrictions by not getting vaccinated, impacted our economy by blocking our busiest border crossing, impacting people lives by honking their horns and forcing business to close in Ottawa. They have flags and goals of having our elected government overthrown. They drive around in cars essentially calling other sheep and idiots for taking a vaccine - yet its the people annoyed by them and calling them names who are divisive.

Honestly - get lost with that.
I love this statement.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:57 PM   #55
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

We really truly thought we would be spared this alt-right populist nonsense.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:35 PM   #56
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Trudeau has a unique platform to set the tone for the national discussion. He could have stood up in front of the country and acknowledged that differences of opinion are acceptable. He should have said that the population favors a variety of policy decisions and he understands that.

Instead he doubled down with a tired of playbook:. Start with accusations of anti science, continue with accusations of misinformation, and then move on to "racism and mysogyny". It's so obvious predictable and tired. And people are starting to see right through it (although CP politics is decidedly not seeing through it yet).

Then he doubled down.

This is completely consistent for Trudeau who has never had the intention of governing for the whole population. Rather he prefers to simply pander to his ideological and geographic base.

This while episode highlights the dysfunction in Canada's version of democracy and our lack of a cohesion.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:37 PM   #57
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The police were very effective in peacefully removing the protesters today at Windsor. It was cathartic to watch them peacefully break up the protesters and make some arrests. My favorite moment was when one of the protestors who was streaming saw her husband arrested and then she was mostly just worried that he had her keys. Not surprising from such selfish people. Before leaving she said a couple times "this isn't fun anymore". As I mentioned it was cathartic to see them deal with consequences.

The police would walk as a group and anyone that didn't move was arrested. Slowly the protesters gave up and left or the last stragglers were arrested. Over 25 arrests and no one hurt. It was good to see that they are able to deal with this when they want to. Listening to the protesters I was shocked at the entitlement and lack of understanding of laws. They thought if they stood on the sidewalk they couldn't be arrested!

It's worrying nothing continues to be done in Ottawa at all by their police. They could at least be enforcing the honking injunction among other basic laws but the honking started again. There are obviously lots of Ottawa cops that support the protestors but as can be seen in Windsor they will make arrests and can peacefully control the protestors if given the orders. Everything Sloly has done suggests he supports the protests in Ottawa and doesn't actually want to stop them. I think things are going to get ugly this week with Ottawa citizens starting to counter protest in greater numbers. Ken King tweeted for people to go confront the counter protests in Ottawa this morning. Again why is he not arrested for inciting violence at this point?

https://twitter.com/Bungbunged/statu...24034836996096
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:39 PM   #58
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

NVM, covered already so I've deleted.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:29 PM   #59
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let's not forget our gov'ts picked this fight by not being as decisive with the removal of restrictions as they were the implementation of them.
…snip drivel.
It was a smart move of the government to implement those restrictions on the off chance a global viral pandemic came along.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:44 PM   #60
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post

Assaulter seems kind of formal for news media to use, but it's the proper designation for a standard JTF member. JTF2 was originally the RCMP's counterterrorism unit before it got transferred to the military.
The first role any JTF2 member gets trained on once they join is for the "assault'" role. For about 2 years, they'll learn everything they need to know about assaulting a structure and the bread and butter hostage rescue skills. After a year, they can start taking on additional specialties such as demo, sniper,..etc. However unless they specialize or become an officer, JTF members are mainly known as assaulters

LChoy