Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2021, 05:49 AM   #121
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I predict Calgary will finish ahead of Vegas. Not saying that they will be division champs, but just that they will finish ahead of Vegas this season. i do think that Vegas is going to have a slight regression, and I do like the overall direction of Calgary thus far, and I do believe that Sutter can make this team one that actually plays well.
If Calgary finishes ahead of Vegas I can't see how they wouldn't be division champs.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 09:43 AM   #122
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a lot of optimism about Darryl Sutter providing the coaching, leadership and energy that the Flames were lacking.

in 2004 when the Flames made their incredible SC run and Sutter deservedly got a lot of credit for his role he was 46 years old. He had enough of the grind of coaching 2 years later. He talked about coming back from coaching when his brother did not do so well and the Flames organization felt best to dump him as GM.

With the Kings he had a great 3 year run winning 2 SCs . he was 53-55.

He finished with the Kings 3 years later after 2 missing the Playoffs and a 1st round exit. he was 58.

He retired to the farm apparently. He was out of Hockey even as a guest analyst.

The Flames got him back after 4 year retirement at 62.

This year he is going into a full head coaching schedule as 63 year old. Kirk Muller has been brought in an associate and the next Flames head coach is 55.

Is a 63 year old coming out of retirement going to stand up to the rigors of a 82 game NHL travel schedule, have the energy to deal with the prima donna multi-millionaires on the Flames, put up with the woke (relative to 2004 and even 2011) players who expect safe zones.

Sutter will be the oldest head coach in league.

That has to be a concern and moderate the expectations of him being the kick ass leader and shared face of the franchise that he was in 2004.

Right now I don't see an Iginla or Dustin Brown to be the players emotional leader.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #123
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
There is a lot of optimism about Darryl Sutter providing the coaching, leadership and energy that the Flames were lacking.

in 2004 when the Flames made their incredible SC run and Sutter deservedly got a lot of credit for his role he was 46 years old. He had enough of the grind of coaching 2 years later. He talked about coming back from coaching when his brother did not do so well and the Flames organization felt best to dump him as GM.

He finished with the king 3 years later after 2 missing the Playoffs and a 1st round exit. he was 58.

He retired to the farm apparently. He was out of Hockey even as a guest analyst.

This year he is going into a full head coaching schedule as 63 year old. Kirk Muller has been brought in an associate and the next Flames head coach is 55.

Is a 63 year old coming out of retirement going to stand up to the rigors of a 82 game NHL travel schedule, have the energy to deal with the prima donna multi-millionaires on the Flames, put up with the woke (relative to 2004 and even 2011) players who expect save zones.

That has to be a concern and moderate the expectations of him being the kick ass leader and shared face of the franchise that he was in 2004.

Right now I don't see an Iginla or Dustin Brown to be the players emotional leader.
Nope. He has never retired.

He was an advisor to coaching staff of the Ducks.

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks...ff/c-308152950

Darryl will never be out of hockey until he decides he wants to be. He is that respected among the NHL community.

His age is literally just a number. That man has more energy than 90% of people in their 20's. He still gets up in the wee hours and cleans the barns etc on his farm that he himself still runs.

So what is our next angle to try and diminish the Flames?

The ricardo skittles index?
Old 08-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #124
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

He finished with the Kings 3 years later after 2 missing the Playoffs and a 1st round exit. he was 58.

Is a 63 year old coming out of retirement going to stand up to the rigors of a 82 game NHL travel schedule, have the energy to deal with the prima donna multi-millionaires on the Flames, put up with the woke (relative to 2004 and even 2011) players who expect safe zones.

Hmmm working full time on a farm or flying around first class on charter flights.

What seems like a harder gig to you?
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #125
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ricardo your schtick is getting old man. Also to question whether a Sutter can handle the rigours of a season as a head coach seems like a ludicrous question to me regardless of his age and to add to that 60 is the new 40 it seems today, older people don’t seem as old as they did a few generations ago. It just seems like a weird angle to pick at with this team because to me the strength of this club now lies with the coaching staff which has been sorely missing in the past few seasons. I truly think we see bounce back and career years for more than a few players this year and I haven’t been this excited about a season in sometime and that can be attributed to the coaching changes.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #126
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Bruce Boudreau, whose name gets thrown around a lot , is 66, the same age as Rick Bowness. Sutter, Tortorella( recently available) and Joel Quenneville are all 62. Lindy Ruff just turned 61, and Alain Vigneault and Dave Tippett are 59.
EDIT:Sutter turned 63 ...3 days ago.

All of those guys are highly respected.

Rick Bowness is the oldest coach, at 66.

Last edited by timbit; 08-22-2021 at 10:39 AM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #127
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Bruce Boudreau, whose name gets thrown around a lot , is 66, the same age as Rick Bowness. Sutter, Tortorella and Joel Quenneville are all 62. Lindy Ruff just turned 61, and Alain Vigneault and Dave Tippett are 59.

Rick Bowness is the oldest coach.
Comes as a massive shock to me Ricardo doesn’t have all the details quite right…
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sofa GM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #128
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So what are your thoughts on Quenneville in Florida. He was born a whopping 27 days after Sutter. Should Florida be concerned as well?

Also for the record, unless I missed something, pretty sure Bowness in Dallas is the oldest coach. He will be turning 67 in January.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:00 AM   #129
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Ricardo your schtick is getting old man. Also to question whether a Sutter can handle the rigours of a season as a head coach seems like a ludicrous question to me regardless of his age and to add to that 60 is the new 40 it seems today, older people don’t seem as old as they did a few generations ago. It just seems like a weird angle to pick at with this team because to me the strength of this club now lies with the coaching staff which has been sorely missing in the past few seasons. I truly think we see bounce back and career years for more than a few players this year and I haven’t been this excited about a season in sometime and that can be attributed to the coaching changes.
I just wish he was straight with the community.
Is he a Jets fan?
Does he hate the Flames?
Does he hate Flames management?
Does he hate us?
Is he just being contrarian

I suppose it doesn't matter but it would just help to put his posts in some sort of context.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 11:38 AM   #130
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The amount of crap you spew is amazing.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #131
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Is he a Jets fan?
Does he hate the Flames?
Does he hate us?

I suppose it doesn't matter but it would just help to put his posts in some sort of context.
Totally agree and it’s what makes understanding his posts almost impossible.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #132
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Is he a Jets fan?
Does he hate the Flames?
Does he hate us?

I just treat him like a troll, he's not meant to be taken seriously
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #133
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Comes as a massive shock to me Ricardo doesn’t have all the details quite right…
Excuse me he is the 2nd oldest coach. my bad

He is a coach advisor to the Ducks since 2019? I didn't know but pretty much it would be better left off his resume being the coach advisor to the team that over his tenure was only better than Buffalo and Detroit.

Experience in tanking?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #134
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^“When they were passing out brains, thought they said trains and I missed mine”
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #135
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

He is a coach advisor to the Ducks since 2019? I didn't know but pretty much it would be better left off his resume being the coach advisor to the team that over his tenure was only better than Buffalo and Detroit.

Experience in tanking?
Trash talking a multi-time Stanley Cup winning coach…… you are clearly clueless and have no idea what you are talking about.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #136
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

"He's too old to win"

What a joke.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #137
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Experience in tanking?

No the old guy isn’t Sutter
Old 08-22-2021, 12:42 PM   #138
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames under Sutter for a full year will be much more consistent than they've been over the years. I see the forward group being better as both Monahan and Tkachuk had poor years by their standards. Hopefully, Markstrom can stay healthy since if he can, I think the Flames are good in net.

The defense will be interesting to watch. I'm not as down on Andersson as many here are and I'm a bit surprised at how down folks seem to be on a 24 year old after one bad season. I see a bounce back for him as bad years for young players happen. Giordano is a huge hole though, so if I were to bet, I'm guessing we'll see plenty of rotation on the backend all year long on the bottom pair and 2nd pair, LH slot.

Overall, the Flames will be a tougher team to play against, they'll bring a more consistent game more often and I see them in a playoff spot in the end. I also think the Flames end up getting Eichel.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #139
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ricardo is one of the biggest jokes I've come across on CP.

I say that as a compliment because that's clearly his shtick and loves getting a rouse out of people with his consistent ludicrous, incredibly wrong opinions.

Last edited by AustinL_NHL; 08-22-2021 at 01:04 PM.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #140
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I’ll bet you
Ultimately it desn't matter much though since neither club is built to go very far.

Now if you combined the teams and made a best of alberta team they might have a shot.

Flames lack elite top end up front, Oilers are a circus on the back end.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2022 , flames , pain&suffering , predictions , season