Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2022, 03:22 PM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Icon33 Canadiens issue statement re: Guy Lafleur's health UPDATE: Dead

https://twitter.com/user/status/1516484149787381764

Not much in the way of details here... though the 70 year old has been dealing with lung cancer in recent years.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 04-22-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:41 PM   #2
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

First Bossy, now Guy?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:41 PM   #3
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

I have a special place in my my heart for Mr. Lafleur.

I was born in 1985, so I never got to witness games by a lot of the greats who played in the 670s: Esposito, Orr, Sittler, Dionne etc.

I know he was a shadow of his former self and very few people have their lasting NHL memory of him being in a Quebec Nordiques jersey, but that's how I'll always remember him. I specifically remember watching a 10-8 Flames win over Quebec in what would have been his final season. I probably didn't realize it then how lucky I was to get to see him play.

Cancer sucks.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krazycanuck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2022, 03:57 PM   #4
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
I have a special place in my my heart for Mr. Lafleur.

I was born in 1985, so I never got to witness games by a lot of the greats who played in the 670s: Esposito, Orr, Sittler, Dionne etc.

I know he was a shadow of his former self and very few people have their lasting NHL memory of him being in a Quebec Nordiques jersey, but that's how I'll always remember him. I specifically remember watching a 10-8 Flames win over Quebec in what would have been his final season. I probably didn't realize it then how lucky I was to get to see him play.

Cancer sucks.

50 different players suited up for that 91 Nords team, they won 16 games and were all kinds of horrible...so bad they were about to draft Eric Lindros

yet magically that team included a teenaged Mats Sundin (and Owen Nolan) a young Joe Sakic and the incomparable Guy Lafleur
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Guy Lafleur is my father's favorite hockey player of all time. Dad wore #10 in his honor.

Years ago, Guy was in Calgary promoting his Flower Power sports drink. I don't remember the year but I was a young kid. When he came to our local grocery store we went to get an autograph. I waited in line by myself for what was well over an hour. My dad stood at the front of the store near where Lafleur was greeting people. Dad just watched him. When I finally got to the front of the line dad joined me and we got our chance to speak with him. The two things I remember were (1) shaking Guy's hands and thinking they were the biggest set of mitts I had ever seen, and (2) telling Guy that my father was also a hunter and that he was welcome to come over to our house for BBQ moose that afternoon. Guy laughed and just said "next time". Can't blame a kid for trying.

Max Ehrmann
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Boo Radley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2022, 04:24 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

This reminded me of this article on the smoking culture of hockey players:

https://www.si.com/nhl/2012/02/29/pl...ettesnhlhockey

Quote:
If you ever saw the Montreal Canadiens' Hall of Fame winger Guy Lafleur away from a rink, chances are he had a cigarette between his right thumb and forefinger.

Mike Bossy, the Hall of Fame sniper who helped the New York Islanders win four straight Stanley Cups, smoked while answering postgame questions from reporters

[...]

Guy Lafleur was one of the greatest players of his generation despite his pack-or-two-a-day habit, say some who played with him. Bowman says that Lafleur regularly smoked a cigarette between periods.

"He'd smoke in the (hotel) room, but always in the bathroom," says former Colorado Avalanche great Joe Sakic, who shared hotel quarters with Lafleur on the road when the two were teammates on the Quebec Nordiques during the final two seasons (1989-91) of The Flower's career. "I told him he didn't have to do that. I mean, I was in awe of him. He could have done whatever he wanted. But he always insisted."
Article also has in interesting tidbit about the infamous photo of Kipper and Dion lighting up.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #7
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Guy Lafleur is my father's favorite hockey player of all time. Dad wore #10 in his honor.

Years ago, Guy was in Calgary promoting his Flower Power sports drink. I don't remember the year but I was a young kid. When he came to our local grocery store we went to get an autograph. I waited in line by myself for what was well over an hour. My dad stood at the front of the store near where Lafleur was greeting people. Dad just watched him. When I finally got to the front of the line dad joined me and we got our chance to speak with him. The two things I remember were (1) shaking Guy's hands and thinking they were the biggest set of mitts I had ever seen, and (2) telling Guy that my father was also a hunter and that he was welcome to come over to our house for BBQ moose that afternoon. Guy laughed and just said "next time". Can't blame a kid for trying.
That brings back memories. I met him on the same promotion tour at the Food City in Lethbridge.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickey76 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I remember that initially after Guy was drafted that he was almost traded because he couldn't get his game together.

He was super talented, mecurial, exciting to watch. He was speed personified in the plodding era of the NHL. I also remember watching him play in the Forum, and my dad pointed to the cloud of smoke over his head as he snuck cigarettes between shifts.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:56 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This reminded me of this article on the smoking culture of hockey players:

Article also has in interesting tidbit about the infamous photo of Kipper and Dion lighting up.

They used to and probably still do have the mock up of the Montreal Canadians dressing room at the HHOF. When if first open it was really authentic, including ashtrays in every stall.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:02 PM   #10
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has any player ever looked better skating down the ice? I was a big Bruins fan and Lafleur broke my heart as a young kid a couple of time but still loved the player.

Speaking of players smoking, it wasn't that unusual in the 90's when you saw Flames players at the bar that they would be smoking. Fleury and Gilmour were two I remember the most often hanging out together and chain smoking on the second level of that country bar on Macleod.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2022, 06:47 PM   #11
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

Not much in the way of details here... though the 70 year old has been dealing with lung cancer in recent years.
Here's a crazy idea:

Leave the f-ing family alone.

Why do people need to be 'first' to report a family tragedy?

For all of the good that social media could do, it's undone by this mindless need to be real time when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:06 PM   #12
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Here's a crazy idea:

Leave the f-ing family alone.

Why do people need to be 'first' to report a family tragedy?

For all of the good that social media could do, it's undone by this mindless need to be real time when it comes to stuff like this.
It's PUBLIC RECORD

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=Guy+Lafleur+cancer
Old 04-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #13
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No ####.

The fact that he's on death's door is not.

Leave the family alone.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:15 PM   #14
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
No ####.

Leave the family alone.
I am
Old 04-19-2022, 07:16 PM   #15
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am
To be perfectly clear I'm more pissed that the team had to come out with a statement.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:22 PM   #16
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
To be perfectly clear I'm more pissed that the team had to come out with a statement.
Probably because the family has asked the Canadiens organization to relay information and status updates to the fans.

The team has far greater capability and reach.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1499490526474690564

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 04-19-2022 at 07:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2022, 01:16 AM   #17
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sadly, recent events with NHL alumni are not exactly shocking.

Quote:
If you ever saw the Montreal Canadiens' Hall of Fame winger Guy Lafleur away from a rink, chances are he had a cigarette between his right thumb and forefinger.

Mike Bossy, the Hall of Fame sniper who helped the New York Islanders win four straight Stanley Cups, smoked while answering postgame questions from reporters, as E.M. Swift's Sports Illustrated story from May 1983 documents.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:24 AM   #18
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
No ####.

Leave the family alone.
I must have missed the part where Reg was harassing the family?

Relaying a press release from the family and/or team is not harassing the family.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2022, 05:40 AM   #19
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite player when I was growing up. I have a vague recollection of a Calgary kid who got stabbed and left for dead in a freezing back alley.

The kid was wearing Guy’s number 10 jersey. The boy survived and when Guy learned of it, he invited him to the Forum to watch a game.

Guy promised him (I think his name was Corey) a goal. He scored 2 and the Habs won.

Am I misremembering or does anybody else recall this?

I hope that whatever the outcome, that Guy doesn’t suffer and that his family get all the support they need.

He was my hero growing up and remains to this day, my favourite player of all time.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:32 AM   #20
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey76 View Post
That brings back memories. I met him on the same promotion tour at the Food City in Lethbridge.

Me too. I still have the autographed promo photo on my wall. And just like Boo said, I remember Guy's hands being the size of catcher's mitts.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote