Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2022, 10:58 AM   #101
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Barring something in her contract, I'm not sure why people think firing her for her appearance changing as she ages would somehow be grounds for a lawsuit.
https://www.chrc-ccdp.gc.ca/en/compl...ke-a-complaint

https://www.chrc-ccdp.gc.ca/en/about...discrimination

Age and sex is a protected human right and can be lodged as a complaint to the human rights commission should there be enough evidence that the actions committed were discriminatory in nature. While very difficult to prove, it's pretty apparent that the VP was very vocal about his dislike for her age and appearance.

This situation would be something handled via an official hr commission complaint versus a normal lawsuit (lawsuit would largely deal with severance compensation). Most people don't know this is an option or that it even exists, and most people will not bother with the trouble as they would rather move on and protect their future career (a high profile case may make you seem unemployable or a 'problem')

Last edited by Firebot; 08-18-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 11:02 AM   #102
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
https://www.chrc-ccdp.gc.ca/en/compl...ke-a-complaint

https://www.chrc-ccdp.gc.ca/en/about...discrimination

Age and sex is a protected human right and can be lodged as a complaint to the human rights commission should there be enough evidence that the actions committed were discriminatory in nature. While very difficult to prove, it's pretty apparent that the VP was very vocal about his dislike for her age and appearance.

This situation would be something handled via an official hr commission complaint versus a normal lawsuit (lawsuit would largely deal with severance compensation). Most people don't know this is an option or that it even exists, and most people will not bother with the trouble.

Ya -Dealt with this on the corporate side a couple years ago actually, and sort of similar but not quite the same. If our highly paid lawyers were to be believed, the Human rights commission could feasibly cause a great deal of trouble for Bell, and a law suite is definitely in the realm of possibility

The lawyers put the fear of god into us with that happened and we had to tread very carefully.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #103
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brian Lilley article from the TO Sun seems to suggest there was blame on both sides

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...t-ctv-national
Old 08-18-2022, 03:18 PM   #104
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My cousin is boycotting CTV News for this. She boycotts anyone at the drop of a hat that she disagrees with. She’s far left and is a vegetarian; maybe neither is relevant but she’s very political and likely has a list of companies as long as her arm that she won’t deal with. Many of them are animal-related.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:56 PM   #105
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

An interesting perspective on things from former anchor at CTV and Global National, Kevin Newman.

https://theline.substack.com/p/kevin...auto_share&s=w
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 10:50 PM   #106
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Lloyd Robertson retired.

Here’s my experience in 35 years in the workforce.

* Retire after long tenure: Lunch where company bigwig makes a speech, cake, gift.

* Voluntarily leave: 10-20 colleagues go for drinks and appetizers at pub. Manager picks up the tab.

* Laid off or fired (regardless of tenure): Here’s your severance. Get out.

So is my experience atypical? Or do we just expect these things to work differently with a high-profile media personality?
Your experience is probably typical, but you’re missing the point.

Robertson and Mansbridge were allowed to get old and retire on their own accord in their 70s.

Why does Laflamme, the top voted anchor, get the boot at 58?

Some say cost cutting, others say misogyny.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:06 PM   #107
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
Your experience is probably typical, but you’re missing the point.

Robertson and Mansbridge were allowed to get old and retire on their own accord in their 70s.

I still think a lot of this has to do with some of the personality conflicts and a difference in direction with a new VP at the helm.

I know a lot of people are talking about cost cutting, a change in viewer habits etc but I don't know how much of that is accurate. It's not like Omar is now going to be doing this gig for $150k a year and Lisa was getting a million. Sure he may be a bit cheaper but is it material to Bell?

I don't know how much of it has to do with age either, I know some say it does but Lisa was 58, looked great, was what I would consider, a silver fox in 2022 and didn't have children so dedicated her life to her work.

Sad to see her go as I almost grew up with her in the news even though I am only 37. Excited for Omar as well but I will say he has his work cut out for him in some ways with the backlash.

All the best to all.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:13 PM   #108
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Hi Dino, I’m free to type whatever I want on here, if you don’t like it, that’s your problem. Yes, senior citizens love the news and absolutely no one checks the internet to get news now especially with cord cutting, you’re brilliant.
I mean the ratings are right there in my post...lots of people watch the news even if you don't...its some of the highest rated TV in Canada
"nobody watches the news because I don't" is a bad take...especially over and over again when the numbers contradict it

cord cutters also watch the news as it is streamed fyi

1.1 Million viewer average for this one Newscast in Canada does not equal "nobody"
and #1 in 25-52 demographic (the biggest spenders)

Last edited by dino7c; 08-18-2022 at 11:20 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 03:44 AM   #109
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

CTV News holds town hall after Lisa LaFlamme exit

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...lls-staff.html

Quote:
“The general consensus amongst the newsroom is that meeting was a joke,” a producer told the Star. “Lots of empty words and platitudes, absolutely no substance. They called together a room full of professional, career journalists and got absolutely grilled, and had no answers ready. Nobody is happy.”
The whole article because, paywall

Spoiler!

Last edited by Scorch; 08-19-2022 at 03:46 AM.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:33 AM   #110
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post

And I’m suggesting people who come to the conclusion that it’s misogyny are missing the context of journalists across the country, men and women, being ruthlessly fired every week. Including several prominent, popular, and long-serving male radio hosts turfed by Bell in recent months. There isn’t a journalist in Canada who should be surprised if they’re laid off tomorrow.

You know when the price of oil drops by $50 a barrel, Calgary-based oil companies carry out mass layoffs, and they target long-serving employees with high salaries? That’s what’s been going on in Canadian newsrooms for years. Anyone with 15+ years experience (the few who are left at this point) is in the crosshairs.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 07:38 AM   #111
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If she was told in June did she not have a final day? Could she have “signed off”? Or was she told in June but no final day was given and then was told one day it’s done?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:18 AM   #112
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1560601246251323392

Internal workplace review of your newsroom? Can't you just have Michael Melling explain why he fired her?

Should be pretty easy enough to explain and make a statement if it was truly a business case decision and a simple thing like cost cutting no?

They can't divulge because it would open them up to a human rights complaint. Hence the "we are sorry you feel offended and here is a 3rd party review" speel.

Last edited by Firebot; 08-19-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:47 AM   #113
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
And I’m suggesting people who come to the conclusion that it’s misogyny are missing the context of journalists across the country, men and women, being ruthlessly fired every week. Including several prominent, popular, and long-serving male radio hosts turfed by Bell in recent months. There isn’t a journalist in Canada who should be surprised if they’re laid off tomorrow.

You know when the price of oil drops by $50 a barrel, Calgary-based oil companies carry out mass layoffs, and they target long-serving employees with high salaries? That’s what’s been going on in Canadian newsrooms for years. Anyone with 15+ years experience (the few who are left at this point) is in the crosshairs.
Comparing mass layoffs to a questionable individual termination?

It's no secret that mass layoffs usually get rid of lower performers or reduction of middle higher cost managers. If Lisa LaFlamme was part of a layoff that also impacted members of her team it would just be attributed as a cost cutting measure.

Those cuts you are talking about; these position reductions were generally not replaced.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bell...offs-vancouver

But this is not what happened here. She was terminated in secret, and directly replaced by a much younger man of visible minority ready to step in on day 1 and CTV staff instructed to not mention her name. Her position was not cut and considering Omar Sachedina has himself been employed for 14 years and has the same role, the cost cutting argument attempt falls fairly flat as it would be a minimal reduction.

An executive that has been quoted as "who approved her silver hair" fired a 35 year tenured employee only a couple months in his tenure that wasn't part of a round of layoffs.

And let us also not forget about the official Bell PR announcement

https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/pr...arts-ctv-news/

Quote:
Recognizing changing viewer habits, CTV recently advised LaFlamme that it had made the business decision to move its acclaimed news show, CTV NATIONAL NEWS, and the role of its Chief News Anchor in a different direction.
Nothing about cost cutting. Nothing about restructuring. It was about moving in a different direction based on changing viewer habits.

How do you move direction? From what to what? How can that statement be anything but discriminatory no matter how you try to rationalize it?

Last edited by Firebot; 08-19-2022 at 10:50 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 12:29 PM   #114
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If she was told in June did she not have a final day? Could she have “signed off”? Or was she told in June but no final day was given and then was told one day it’s done?
She probably could have signed off but why would she. She was fired.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #115
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
She probably could have signed off but why would she. She was fired.
I could just imagine that...50 executives packed into the production room, each with individual "cut the feed" kill buttons.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:00 PM   #116
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw some people were miffed about the rumored 300k salary.

Frankly, if you can do public speaking, you should be making 100k. Its a hard skill.

If you are GOOD at it, you should be making 150k+ minimum.

If you are one of the best at it, and able to do it on TV for an audience of millions, you are easily in the 300k range.

She was super polished and deserved that entire salary.

Just wanted to put that out there.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 03:36 PM   #117
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lost in the shuffle replying to Bell Media horrendous PR statement (I wonder if it will pick up and go viral)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1560630478159364097

I've made a post on the systemic racism a while ago about what women and people of minority go through that is widely accepted in the Canadian psyche. Exposure to the high level leadership and executive world can be incredibly eye opening as how prevalent racism, harassment and misogyny can exist at the top.

Trying to excuse discriminatory practices under the guise of business decisions is just garbage and reaffirming this toxic corporate behavior that needs to be stamped down and called out, instead of hiding under PR statements and apathy.

This just happened to be a very high profile and very visible case, but this stuff occurs behind the scene a lot.

Last edited by Firebot; 08-19-2022 at 03:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 05:38 PM   #118
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I go back to the post that Kevin Newman had made and what other anchors said that this was perplexing. I fully understand cost cutting, mass layoffs, restructuring etc. That happens in business and is happening like wild fire in media. This appears different and very targeted. There is the most watched and highest rated news anchor in the country and then there is some low level radio or evening tv sports reporter on local media. It sucks for both but this is a different league.

In the Canadian sports media, it would be equivalent to Ron Maclean being just let go tomorrow morning for no apparent reason and no warning. Cost cutting, changing viewer habits and the changing sports landscape changing. That in some ways happened with Don Cherry and right or wrong, there was a reason given.

The entire brand of HNIC and CTV news revolve around the team in front of the camera, most notably the person in the #1 chair.

I don't know how much I believe that this was specifically sexism, ageism or something like that, they could have very easily laid off Sandi Rinaldo given she is in her 70's.

This seems strangely personal and a big difference in opinion. Regardless, I am sure everybody will move on and hopefully onto bigger and better things.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:22 AM   #119
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Are you really cutting costs if you lay off a high profile anchor that many people watch even if he / she makes $500k per year? $500k is a drop in the bucket compared to what Bell spends every year.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:52 AM   #120
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
In the Canadian sports media, it would be equivalent to Ron Maclean being just let go tomorrow morning for no apparent reason and no warning.
The thing is, even if this happened, the company doesn't owe 'you' (The public) any explanation whatsoever. It's really none of your business why/how they are doing business. In the specific case you mentioned, Ron would be owed an explanation, and if it's not a good one, he could pursue legal redress.

I expect the same for Lisa. 'We' are not owed any explanation for her termination. If she feels she was unfairly terminated, she has recourse.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post: