Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2022, 12:29 PM   #5661
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Literally got chills when the Ogre Battle music played in that trailer. So good. So many memories.

Oh nm, google says Switch as well! Nice! I r excited!

Last edited by GreenLantern; 08-17-2022 at 12:33 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 04:50 PM   #5662
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I'm partially replaying AC Odyssey on my new PS5, only played it on my PS4 before. Looks ok with HDR once you fiddle with the settings. I totally forgot about the random new update Korfu missions Ubisoft released for the game recently and just activated it, it looks so good! Clear graphical boost and just general touch ups for the new missions and area, I wish they could do this for the entire game. Better, tighter camera angle too, the zoomed out angle was my biggest issue with Odyssey. Once I'm done I don't know how I'm going to be able to go back to the clearly inferior looking main game after this haha.

Anyway, just wanted to say the new update seems (and looks) good if you played Odyssey but didn't try the new content.
60 FPS as well on the PS5!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:03 PM   #5663
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Literally got chills when the Ogre Battle music played in that trailer. So good. So many memories.

Oh nm, google says Switch as well! Nice! I r excited!
Apparently the composer rerecorded the music with a live orchestra and added new pieces:

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en...cs-ogre-reborn
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 07:55 PM   #5664
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Spoiler!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 06:04 PM   #5665
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #5666
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
its HBO, so my hopes remain high for this... can't say I am super convinced by Bella Ramsay as Ellie (yet), but I love I love Pedro Pascal, Anna Torv, Con O'Neill... hoping the Tess character is around for a couple of seasons...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:32 PM   #5667
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there will be some dissonance at the start for a lot of people that have played the game with the actors and voice actors not lining up with what we are already familiar with.

Still, I'm excited to see what they've come up with to share the story with more people beyond just the video game space.

EDIT: Saw there was a deal on HBO for a further 25% (150 versus 200). Might worthwhile with Game of Thrones as well.

Last edited by chemgear; 08-21-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #5668
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think there will be some dissonance at the start for a lot of people that have played the game with the actors and voice actors not lining up with what we are already familiar with.

Still, I'm excited to see what they've come up with to share the story with more people beyond just the video game space.

EDIT: Saw there was a deal on HBO for a further 25% (150 versus 200). Might worthwhile with Game of Thrones as well.
for sure; that's always the case for any adaptation...just hoping that the casting directors nailed the casting choices.

I think video game fans need to reconcile the differences between 'voice actors' and physical actors. There are multiple reasons not to cast the voice actors, starting with creating name recognition with the non-gaming market.

just hope that the 'outspoken' fanbase of LoU don't start to trash the show until they actually watch it and give it a chance to succeed on its own merits.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 08:00 PM   #5669
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
just hope that the 'outspoken' fanbase of LoU don't start to trash the show until they actually watch it and give it a chance to succeed on its own merits.
Hah, I am sure the nutbar haters already have drafts typed up ready to publish or record for their youtube channel. That segment simply festers in the world these days and will complain no matter what. Hamfisted complaints about lessons in gender politics or some other obvious bigot nonsense or wild conspiracy.

I'm just happy to see video games influence continue to grow and resonate with so many people in the world these days. The fact that they filmed this particular show with that kind of budget in and around Calgary is just a super cool bonus.

(And I can't believe the sheer number of people that went to watch the Sonic the Hedgehog movies, the sheer amount of money that they raked in. Sonic the ####ing Hedgehog - wild. Or Elden Ring probably selling enough to rake in close to a billion dollars now. What was niche to be so mainstream for so many to enjoy!)
Old 08-21-2022, 08:14 PM   #5670
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1561246981321854977

Old 08-21-2022, 09:34 PM   #5671
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hah, I am sure the nutbar haters already have drafts typed up ready to publish or record for their youtube channel. That segment simply festers in the world these days and will complain no matter what. Hamfisted complaints about lessons in gender politics or some other obvious bigot nonsense or wild conspiracy.

I'm just happy to see video games influence continue to grow and resonate with so many people in the world these days. The fact that they filmed this particular show with that kind of budget in and around Calgary is just a super cool bonus.

(And I can't believe the sheer number of people that went to watch the Sonic the Hedgehog movies, the sheer amount of money that they raked in. Sonic the ####ing Hedgehog - wild. Or Elden Ring probably selling enough to rake in close to a billion dollars now. What was niche to be so mainstream for so many to enjoy!)
Like any IP, you have to treat it with some degree of reverence to the source material, but also knowing that it can't be so deep in canon that the average moviegoers don't care.

super hero properties are a good example... there'd been some good success with films like X-Men (at least a few of them) and the first spidermans and batmans, but you needed to have respect for the core base, the ones that would be going multiple times.

Marvel was able to do that with arguably their "B" lineup... the leftovers that they weren't able to cut off and sell to appease their creditors (spiderman, fantastic four and X-Men). The way they were able to parlay Iron Man, Thor and Captain America and Gaurdians of the Galaxy into a movie industry juggernaut is impressive, regardless of what people think of what that has done to the movie industry more broadly (ie the relentless search for the next franchise and expanded universes).

Video games need to thought of in that way too...HBO has Druckmann on board, as does Uncharted (not great but OK)... the Witcher is having pretty good success... I know Sony has a ton in the pipeline, including Horizon, GoW and now Days Gone in development. Arcane is a fantastic show, although its a cartoon, its as good as any 'regular' show imo

While these are video games, they are also great stories - if the screenwriters try to find a way to crack those stories so they can work in a different medium. I am hopeful for Control to be a show too, with the success of Severance, that definitely has the aesthetic of Control

should be interesting... keeping my fingers crossed.

edit - maybe Blasphemy, but I would love to see a Bioshock remake one day...the new graphics would be insane with that setting and story

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 08-21-2022 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:06 AM   #5672
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking forward to this game finally porting to PC, (master-race), AND the HBO series. Hopefully in year.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:59 AM   #5673
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Video games need to thought of in that way too...HBO has Druckmann on board, as does Uncharted (not great but OK)... the Witcher is having pretty good success... I know Sony has a ton in the pipeline, including Horizon, GoW and now Days Gone in development. Arcane is a fantastic show, although its a cartoon, its as good as any 'regular' show imo
Don't forget Castlevania, which is probably my favorite game-to-movie/show adaptation so far.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #5674
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would love to see something like Bloodborne made into a TV show.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #5675
photon

Exp:

Old 08-23-2022, 07:12 PM   #5676
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

gamescon was a bit of a bust imo.

Callisto Protocol looks great...but a game that really has me intrigued is The Lies of P... serious Bloodborne vibes imo, but that is a compliment.

not sure about Dune yet, but love the universe, so hopefully they do a good job with it
Old 08-23-2022, 09:45 PM   #5677
photon

Exp:

I hope it's good.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #5678
photon

Exp:

Also hope this is good.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:40 PM   #5679
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
For $3 Vampire Survivors is great value in a game.
I've been playing this lately. For such a simple game it's very engrossing.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:15 PM   #5680
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://collider.com/bioshock-movie-...cting-netflix/

this was something I totally forgot about...Director seems like a pretty solid choice (I am Legend, Constantine, Hunger Games, Red Sparrow... all pretty solid movies in terms of direction imo) but what caught my eye was that the screenwriter worked on Blade Runner 2049 and Logan, which is very promising as the story of Bioshock is pretty cool and if done well, could be great.

hopefully they do it justice
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post: