Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-29-2022, 11:28 AM   #1041
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

This could have been easily fixed by charging $10 per ticket and having the proceeds go to charity.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:08 PM   #1042
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

At least this disgusting pig did not rape children, right? More deplorable behavior from these filthy, charlatan clowns.

Prominent cardinal named in sexual assault lawsuit against archdiocese of Quebec
Cardinal Marc Ouellet is among 88 members of the clergy facing sexual assault allegations

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ault-1.6552456
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 08:33 PM   #1043
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh hey, another one. And lets not skip over the Christian "schools" in Saskatchewan that get tax dollars to abuse children.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ewan-1.6548860

When are Canadians going to wake up to this abuse? It's not 100, or 50, or 20 years ago, it's today. These people can't be trusted with children, ever. I'm baffled how people can continue to go to church and hand out money and turn their children over to these people. Stop it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2022, 01:50 PM   #1044
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nice! : )

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/northern...fire-1.6041906

Very little is left of a northern Alberta Catholic church that went up in flames early Thursday morning.

RCMP said a blaze at an inactive Catholic church in Fort Chipewyan was reported at 2:34 a.m.

A community member identified the building as the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Roman Catholic Church, built in 1909.

In a Facebook livestream at 3:20 a.m., Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation (ACFN) chief Allan Adam said the building is "completely destroyed."
Old 08-25-2022, 02:33 PM   #1045
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Nice! : )

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/northern...fire-1.6041906

Very little is left of a northern Alberta Catholic church that went up in flames early Thursday morning.

RCMP said a blaze at an inactive Catholic church in Fort Chipewyan was reported at 2:34 a.m.

A community member identified the building as the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Roman Catholic Church, built in 1909.

In a Facebook livestream at 3:20 a.m., Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation (ACFN) chief Allan Adam said the building is "completely destroyed."

Uh. This is a hate crime. Definitely not “nice”.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:52 PM   #1046
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of Indigenous seniors are deeply distressed by this. But they are Catholic, so fist-bumps all around, I guess?

Quote:

… Chief Allan Adam of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation (ACFN) said he was “devastated” the church was gone. The community recently hosted two days of public meetings explaining how archaeologists will search the residential school grounds, and Adam believes “it just triggered something out of somebody.”

“What happened at the residential schools is not the lord’s doing. It was men and women. Priests and brothers and nuns,” he said in a Thursday morning interview. “Where do we go now for funerals or to ask for prayers? It never should have happened, it was uncalled for. I’m just lost for words right now.”

ACFN elder Alice Rigney called the church’s destruction an “attack on the community’s history.” Rigney was another survivor of physical and sexual abuse during her 10 years at the Holy Angels Residential School. She remembers cheering when she watched the demolition of the residential school, calling it “a place of Hell.”

“Burning the church doesn’t prove anything. It shows how malicious some people can be. The individual who did this, I would say they don’t have a conscience,” she said on Thursday morning. “There is no reconciliation in this. It does not prove reconciliation at all.”

https://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/ne...fort-chipewyan
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2022, 02:57 PM   #1047
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At least this disgusting pig did not rape children, right? More deplorable behavior from these filthy, charlatan clowns.

Prominent cardinal named in sexual assault lawsuit against archdiocese of Quebec
Cardinal Marc Ouellet is among 88 members of the clergy facing sexual assault allegations

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ault-1.6552456
This is crazy. Ouellette was one of the front runners when Pope Benedict retired. This ends his chances when Francis dies or retires.

If you diddle kids, ####ing kill yourself.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:32 PM   #1048
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
This is crazy. Ouellette was one of the front runners when Pope Benedict retired. This ends his chances when Francis dies or retires.

If you diddle kids, ####ing kill yourself.
I thought I'd actually read the article. Creepy and disgusting behaviour, but not "diddling kids".
Old 08-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #1049
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
I thought I'd actually read the article. Creepy and disgusting behaviour, but not "diddling kids".
I have a tough time reading those articles so I usually don't, I admit. A lot of times they are far too disturbing.

But creepy and disgusting toward a child is just as unacceptable as abuse/assault.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #1050
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I have a tough time reading those articles so I usually don't, I admit. A lot of times they are far too disturbing.

But creepy and disgusting toward a child is just as unacceptable as abuse/assault.
Sorry, I'm not defending the guy, but you keep getting it wrong. From the article: "You have at that time a young woman in her mid-20s versus a powerful man in a position of authority, known worldwide at the time, who was maybe 60."

Why add "toward a child"? If you don't read the article, maybe you should refrain from commenting on it.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:31 AM   #1051
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
Sorry, I'm not defending the guy, but you keep getting it wrong. From the article: "You have at that time a young woman in her mid-20s versus a powerful man in a position of authority, known worldwide at the time, who was maybe 60."

Why add "toward a child"? If you don't read the article, maybe you should refrain from commenting on it.
Point taken.

99% of the time we are talking about sex scandals with the Catholic church, children are the victims so I assumed here.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:03 PM   #1052
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Point taken.

99% of the time we are talking about sex scandals with the Catholic church, children are the victims so I assumed here.
Yep, my guess is the overwhelming word most people would associate with 'priest' would be 'pedo'
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:50 PM   #1053
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With the huge numbers of children raped and murdered by the catholic church it's quite an easy mistake to make. I actually mentioned how unusual this was when I posted the original link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Uh. This is a hate crime. Definitely not “nice”.
Yeah, definitely not nice, incredibly awesome. I honestly don't care, it's only a building and at most a symbol for the most embarrassing aspect of humanity.

I would never do anything like that but no one got hurt, they'll just have to talk to themselves and pray to their imaginary God somewhere else. Unless you believe in magic and believe the building was "blessed" and a conduit to the heavenly father.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:12 PM   #1054
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I certainly wouldn't encourage the destruction of property and the burning of churches, but I understand why they might be targeted. I mean, if the actual schools were destroyed, would anyone shed a tear?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #1055
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I certainly wouldn't encourage the destruction of property and the burning of churches, but I understand why they might be targeted. I mean, if the actual schools were destroyed, would anyone shed a tear?
The actual school was demolished years ago. And no tears were shed. The article I quoted makes that clear.

But the church was the centre of the community and a connection to their loved ones for many residents.

Quote:
“When I enter that building, I feel at peace. It’s soothing to be there. All my troubles are gone when I walk in that door,” says Whiteknife, a lifelong member of the Parish of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, and the organizer of an ongoing fundraising campaign to restore the 109-year-old church.

“It’s a place of love, a place of welcome, a place of sanctuary and a place of warmth,” she says. “There’s a strong sense of belonging, of community. When I’m in that building, I feel the love of generations of my family members who have completed their journey here on Earth.”

… The church remains an important landmark and a community gathering place to this day, still playing host to weekly services, marriages, baptisms, communions, and funerals. However, the century-old wooden building is in need of repairs to its foundation as well as its superstructure, which must be made carefully with deference to the church’s historic resource designation.

https://www.enbridge.com/stories/201...alberta-church

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-26-2022 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:33 PM   #1056
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With the huge numbers of children raped and murdered by the catholic church it's quite an easy mistake to make. I actually mentioned how unusual this was when I posted the original link.

Yeah, definitely not nice, incredibly awesome. I honestly don't care, it's only a building and at most a symbol for the most embarrassing aspect of humanity.

I would never do anything like that but no one got hurt, they'll just have to talk to themselves and pray to their imaginary God somewhere else. Unless you believe in magic and believe the building was "blessed" and a conduit to the heavenly father.
Perhaps you should go to Northern Alberta and tell the Indigenous Catholics there that they are morons for wanting to have a church building.

In fact, maybe you should create a new building where you can have the opportunity to teach them your enlightened ways? Maybe even call it a school, where white people tell Native people how dumb their current faith system is.

Just an idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 01:42 PM   #1057
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In fact, maybe you should create a new building where you can have the opportunity to teach them your enlightened ways? Maybe even call it a school, where white people tell Native people how dumb their current faith system is.
Spoiler!
Old 08-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #1058
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The actual school was demolished years ago. And no tears were shed. The article I quoted makes that clear.

But the church was the centre of the community and a connection to their loved ones for many residents.
Sure, but it might also represent really horrific things to others. Again, not shedding any tears.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:31 PM   #1059
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps you should go to Northern Alberta and tell the Indigenous Catholics there that they are morons for wanting to have a church building.

Just an idea.
No need to create a new building, almost every small town has a library with shelves of books on science. Far more useful to any person with the desire for truth, logic and reason rather than the laziness of superstition.

Just an idea.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:21 PM   #1060
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

One of the challenges is that the evangelism of the Church worked and you have many indigenous Catholics who were victims of residential schools now being victimized again by the loss of their community structures. It’s not as simple as Church bad. Real harm is being done by these acts while other people may take solace in the destruction.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote