Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default CP Help! Stolen Silver-Grey Tacoma

Silver Grey 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4 door, V6 Licence YRA 822
Has a black vinyl foldable box cover (truck box was full of power tools and materials at the time so cover was open) no other outstanding features, was stolen out of our garage last night sometime in the Parkdale (NW below the Foothills hospital) area.

My confidence in CPS is low as they showed up to investigate 3 hours after we called and they were dispatched to investigate the other items that were stolen from the garage at the same time and had no idea about the stolen vehicle.

If you see this truck parked somewhere drop me a line, and thanks in advance!
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Sorry to hear that - will keep my eyes open for it.

Usually your stolen car will get abandoned when they are done with it.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be driving in NW today, will keep an eye out.
Sorry to hear Angelamc.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamc View Post
Has a black vinyl foldable box cover (truck box was full of power tools and materials at the time so cover was open) no other outstanding features, was stolen out of our garage last night sometime in the Parkdale (NW below the Foothills hospital) area.

My confidence in CPS is low as they showed up to investigate 3 hours after we called and they were dispatched to investigate the other items that were stolen from the garage at the same time and had no idea about the stolen vehicle.

The unfortunate reality is CPS just doesn't have the resources to take vehicle thefts as seriously as victims assume/want at the best of times, let alone during a recession.

They're stretched to the limit on almost every type of call these days, and calls with injuries and people involved are going to push stolen vehicles way down the list no matter how much they cost.

Troutman had the best advice - Basically wait a month or so and you'll likely get a call saying they found it abandoned somewhere and to come pick it up at the impound. Unless you drive a super noticeable vehicle you're likely not getting any officer hours put into specifically looking for your vehicle, so you're only hope of a quick turnaround is random license plate checks in public places or if it gets used in a crime and the police bust the person.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-11-2017 at 03:51 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
Bent Wookie

Quote:

For the record, the only reason they came was because it was stolen from your garage along with other items. If it would have been sitting on the street, no uniformed members would have been dispatched.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The only other advice I would give to posters is to take the info below and if you see it try to get a picture and then phone the non-emerg. line (403-266-1234) and mention when it was stolen.

A reported stolen vehicle from a garage is different for them as they know it's likely long gone from the area and they're likely sending officers on a wild goose chase with a goose that's going as far away as possible.

Where as a recently stolen vehicle spotted casually driving in traffic or parked is something they'll jump on right away if they have a free car already patrolling near by. I've called for a couple minor things in the past that were pretty easy wins for them and both times they basically let me know before the call ended that "officers were patrolling at X road and are already on their way" before we ended our call.

Quote:
Has a black vinyl foldable box cover

Last edited by jayswin; 09-11-2017 at 04:01 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I suggest you post this information as well as a picture on beyond.ca.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The unfortunate reality is CPS just doesn't have the resources to take vehicle thefts as seriously as victims assume/want at the best of times, let alone during a recession.

They're stretched to the limit on almost every type of call these days, and calls with injuries and people involved are going to push stolen vehicles way down the list no matter how much they cost.

Troutman had the best advice - Basically wait a month or so and you'll likely get a call saying they found it abandoned somewhere and to come pick it up at the impound. Unless you drive a super noticeable vehicle you're likely not getting any officer hours put into specifically looking for your vehicle, so you're only hope of a quick turnaround is random license plate checks in public places or if it gets used in a crime and the police bust the person.
Not to mention, Monday morning generally sees CPS slammed with a lot of "My [X] got stolen or broken into over the weekend while I was away!" type calls. Especially from businesses that aren't open over the weekend and folks who were gone for the weekend. Those sorts of calls take a while to get through.

And as noted, as much as it personally sucks, unless you see your vehicle being driven away or it was within 1-5 minutes, it is not likely to be deemed an 'emergency', and will be dealt with on an 'as can be' basis, with emergencies coming first.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of note, and perhaps topical, Cst Mark Shaw posted, on his Facebook, a 'heat map' of the calls for service for the weekend. In the comments, he broke it down some, too.

Here's the weekend's stolen vehicles (Keeping mind this can mean the vehicle was taken or found, as both fall under the 'stolen vehicle' heading)

Here's the 'all the calls' image:
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #10
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

The officer I spoke with today regarding my car break in said they have been putting under cover officer in my area because of the concentration of car prowling calls and stolen vehicles. That heat map is alarming.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #11
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
The officer I spoke with today regarding my car break in said they have been putting under cover officer in my area because of the concentration of car prowling calls and stolen vehicles. That heat map is alarming.
Police are often much busier than one thinks they are. The scary part is that that was an 'average' weekend, nothing terribly special or different call-volume wise.

And to clarify, when I say "All the calls", I really mean "All the calls that had a police unit/officer dispatched to look into", not "all the calls that the dispatch center received".
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
s_procee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That is a surprising amount of thefts.

Sorry to heAR and I will keep an eye out
s_procee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s_procee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Truck was found in Forest Heights. Apparently parked there for about a week and a resident called the City about it. Front end smashed up, dirty inside and ignition looks tampered with according to the officer. Haven't seen it yet as we are waiting to hear back from insurance lady. They had already written it off and we were in the middle of getting paperwork back to them to finalize everything and we are unsure if it was processed in time. The file had moved to a different adjuster so it took longer than normal for them to write it off, they said that they normally start the process 72 hours after theft if it is not found which surprised me that they don't wait longer.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #14
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dirty Mike and the boys say thanks.

But in seriousness that sucks. Hopefully insurance will do you right
Old 09-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #15
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
Dirty Mike and the boys say thanks.
I had to google as I had no idea what you were going on about. I am now watching clips, thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #16
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Front end smashed up, dirty inside and ignition looks tampered with according to the officer.
Too bad, now your Tacoma is probably only worth 88% of its new value, instead of 90%.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:

Tags
stolen , tacoma , vehicle