Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #3841
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Cecil-


Do you have a source for that? Given it is based on technology and sensors, those would have tolerances based on +- %. So I don't know where you come up with that.
I’ll happily retract if proven wrong but I drive through two green light cameras everyday and do more than 10% over but less than 11km/h over the limit, so it absolutely cannot be 10%.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #3842
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
my ticket for 68 in a 60 zone says you're wrong. that buffer/grey area no longer exists.
Perhaps.

Google seems to suggest there is no standard at all. But I’ve never gotten a ticket doing 10 over from photo radar, no matter the situation, and have always heard it is 10 over.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #3843
White Out 403
Franchise Player
 
White Out 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Produce the ticket.
__________________
Maya Angelou sucks.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #3844
GordonBlue
First Line Centre
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Perhaps.

Google seems to suggest there is no standard at all. But I’ve never gotten a ticket doing 10 over from photo radar, no matter the situation, and have always heard it is 10 over.
I honestly think it used to be, but it's quietly changed over the past few years.

someone posted an Edmonton stat that in one year tickets for 6-10 over went up 300%. so there is a recent shift to milking the cash cow.

guess it's fair to say Calgary perhaps hasn't yet done the same.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #3845
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

https://tpavlek.me/edmonton-photo-radar/

Here's a guy who has done FOIP requests for Edmonton and roughly 12% of photo-radar tickets have been for 6-10 over in recent years. Again, don't know if it would be different in Calgary but I doubt it. I've always been told 10% over speed limit is fine, never 10 km/hour.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #3846
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

This article says Edmonton’s policy is 10km/h over on “high speed roads”. 6-10km/h over in other areas like school zones.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1803298/l...r-speed-limit/
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #3847
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This article says Edmonton’s policy is 10km/h over on “high speed roads”. 6-10km/h over in other areas like school zones.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1803298/l...r-speed-limit/
Which supports the argument that it's percentage...He says no one gets it for going 10 over on Henday. Henday is 100 km/hour. Unless I'm missing something.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #3848
GordonBlue
First Line Centre
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

for the original posters gear grinder, guess it's safe to say if you're in the city and more than 10km/hr over the speed limit, a ticket is fair game?

not saying he still can't be ticked about it. one measly km/hr
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #3849
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Which supports the argument that it's percentage...He says no one gets it for going 10 over on Henday. Henday is 100 km/hour. Unless I'm missing something.
How do you get that? He says all high speed roads are exempt and uses 10km/h over. Suggesting that all roads that are 80/90/100/110 are the same 10km/h threshold.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #3850
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This article says Edmonton’s policy is 10km/h over on “high speed roads”. 6-10km/h over in other areas like school zones.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1803298/l...r-speed-limit/
The article doesn't say that at all. It doesn't connect the 6-10 over with school zones.

The articles says this:
Quote:
Iveson added that tickets for going six to 10 km/h over aren’t given on high-speed roads.
You added "in other areas like school zones" which is really weird of you.

The article does say:
Quote:
“Generally speaking, if you get a ticket for going not very much over, it’s because you’re in a speed zone that is a lower speed zone,” he said.
. That exactly supports a percentage-based overage allowance versus this 10km/hour over some of you guys keep mistakenly quoting. It's honestly never been 10km/hour over - it has always been 10% as the line for being safe from being pulled over.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #3851
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
How do you get that? He says all high speed roads are exempt and uses 10km/h over. Suggesting that all roads that are 80/90/100/110 are the same 10km/h threshold.
Well this is what he said, what else did I miss?:

“I’m pretty sure no one’s got a ticket for going 10 over on the Henday, for example.”

Second, if you can get a ticket for going 10 km (or less) on low-speed roads, and don't get a ticket for going 10 km (or potentially more) on high-speed roads, that clearly demonstrates that your assertion that 10 km/hour is some type of static buffer is conclusively wrong.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #3852
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
for the original posters gear grinder, guess it's safe to say if you're in the city and more than 10km/hr over the speed limit, a ticket is fair game?

not saying he still can't be ticked about it. one measly km/hr
No, you're not getting this. OP was going 18.5% over the speed limit (71 in a 60). You'd have to be seriously deluded to think that isn't infraction-worthy speeding.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #3853
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
The article doesn't say that at all. It doesn't connect the 6-10 over with school zones.

The articles says this:


You added "in other areas like school zones" which is really weird of you.

The article does say:
. That exactly supports a percentage-based overage allowance versus this 10km/hour over some of you guys keep mistakenly quoting. It's honestly never been 10km/hour over - it has always been 10% as the line for being safe from being pulled over.
What are you talking about? He clearly and specifically mention school zones as an example of an area where 6-10 applies. Then says 10km over applies in high speed areas.

Quote:
Mayor Don Iveson said the difference was due to increased enforcement in slower speed zones.

“We’ve been doing more enforcement in school zones and in other areas where we have significant traffic safety concerns.”

“Generally speaking, if you get a ticket for going not very much over, it’s because you’re in a speed zone that is a lower speed zone,” he said. The city couldn’t provide the exact number of photo radar tickets issued in school zones in 2014.

Iveson added that tickets for going six to 10 km/h over aren’t given on high-speed roads.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #3854
woob
First Line Centre
 
woob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Exp:
Default

Since the subject on hand is relevant, hoping to probe the CP mind on a speeding ticket my wife got.

She was travelling from Airdrie out to the Airdrie Transfer site on highway 587 and got pulled over around here for speeding. She was doing 82 in a 60, thinking she'd hit the 80 zone already, but the sign is just up the hill from there.

Anyways, the officer gives her the ticket ($189) and says if she wants she can show up on the court date, plead guilty, and that the ticket could possibly be reduced. My question is; does anyone have any experience with this? We found it interesting that he said that and also wonder what the process is for approaching this? We'd love to get the ticket reduced if possible.

I know, odd to be seeking advice in the GMG thread, but the timing fits.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #3855
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What are you talking about? He clearly and specifically mention school zones as an example of an area where 6-10 applies. Then says 10km over applies in high speed areas.
OMG, dude, I don't believe you're being serious. Those are two distinct thoughts evidenced by the separate paragraphs. They aren't connected - if they were, they'd be in the same sentence or same paragraph.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #3856
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Is it worth your time to take half a day off of work, pay for parking downtown, to save $90?

Generally they seem to knock 1/2 off the ticket if you appear and speak to the Crown. Saves them time to get if off the list. Sometimes, the ticket will be scrapped entirely if Crown witness does not show up.
__________________
http://nwcalgarylaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #3857
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Since the subject on hand is relevant, hoping to probe the CP mind on a speeding ticket my wife got.

She was travelling from Airdrie out to the Airdrie Transfer site on highway 587 and got pulled over around here for speeding. She was doing 82 in a 60, thinking she'd hit the 80 zone already, but the sign is just up the hill from there.

Anyways, the officer gives her the ticket ($189) and says if she wants she can show up on the court date, plead guilty, and that the ticket could possibly be reduced. My question is; does anyone have any experience with this? We found it interesting that he said that and also wonder what the process is for approaching this? We'd love to get the ticket reduced if possible.

I know, odd to be seeking advice in the GMG thread, but the timing fits.
Go to court on the court date, explain briefly what happened, they'll likely reduce it by 50% (or 50 dollars if your Cecil... ). That's assuming there's no past tickets in recent history.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #3858
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
OMG, dude, I don't believe you're being serious. Those are two distinct thoughts evidenced by the separate paragraphs. They aren't connected - if they were, they'd be in the same sentence or same paragraph.
Unless the mayor wrote that article you’re wrong. He’s the one that’s quoted.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #3859
Tyler
Franchise Player
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

I wish it were illegal to have telephone conversations on public transit
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #3860
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Is it worth your time to take half a day off of work, pay for parking downtown, to save $90?

Generally they seem to knock 1/2 off the ticket if you appear and speak to the Crown. Saves them time to get if off the list. Sometimes, the ticket will be scrapped entirely if Crown witness does not show up.
If you work downtown I would say it definitely is. Typically I have been in an out in an hour so no lost time I just shift my lunch. I am 4/5 getting dismissed and 1/5 with a significant reduction over the past few years. So for 5-6hrs worth of time I am up about $700. Though one of them as for an expired license that had expired 2 days earlier so that was a big win to get tossed. Taking out that one you make about $75-100 per hour fighting tickets. My non fixed expense hourly wage is lower than that so worth fighting.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016